Question about which years the classic vintage white Les Paul Customs were produced?

islandjimmy

Reaction score
Hello,

Does anyone know which years the vintage white Custom Les Pauls were made? The most famous would probably be the 1974 20th Anniversary model (Randy Rhodes, Steve Jones). I am mostly interested in the Norlin years but also in reissues.

Thank you

Jimmy

Attachments

ARandall

Reaction score
74 was the first year. I think they were produced all through that period. The early 90's was a big time for white too. I was in London for a holiday in the early 90's and every music store I visited had at least one in stock....in LH too.

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
74 was the first year. I think they were produced all through that period. The early 90's was a big time for white too. I was in London for a holiday in the early 90's and every music store I visited had at least one in stock....in LH too.
Not much to add here.

Maybe you can clarify if you mean the 'vintage white' Les Paul, or the vintage, 'white Les Paul' ?

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
They didn't call them "vintage White" at the time,....they were just "White" Customs. They did make a hand full in metallic White that had a fine metal flake. The yellowing that occurred was from the clear nitro turning yellow. Very late '73 to present. The first non-ebony models were Cherrysunburst and Tobaccoburst....White was soon after.

islandjimmy

Reaction score
Not much to add here.

Maybe you can clarify if you mean the 'vintage white' Les Paul, or the vintage, 'white Les Paul' ?
Both actually lol. I am interested primarily in a vintage Les Paul that was once white but has now yellow cream color. When Gibson reissues these Custom models, they paint them in Vintage White which is similar in color the the yellow cream color of the authentically aged vintage Les Paul.

islandjimmy

Reaction score
They didn't call them "vintage White" at the time,....they were just "White" Customs. They did make a hand full in metallic White that had a fine metal flake. The yellowing that occurred was from the clear nitro turning yellow. Very late '73 to present. The first non-ebony models were Cherrysunburst and Tobaccoburst....White was soon after.
Yes, I am interested only in the yellow colored models, vintage or reissued. I am trying to track down the years they made them in that color. So far I've got 1974, 2012, and 2015.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I am interested only in the yellow colored models, vintage or reissued. I am trying to track down the years they made them in that color. So far I've got 1974, 2012, and 2015.
Fortunate for you most have yellowed over the years.

Though only the Historic versions....Randy Rhoads model and the limited 1974 reissues had factory yellow tinted clear top coat nitro. Any others were White originally and yellowed as they aged. This happened to most but not all white Les Paul Customs. Many had not suffered the UV damage that caused them to yellow. If the Nitro top coat chips it is still very White underneath.

White Customs have been made since very late 1973 to present. There are a lot of years to pick thru.

KS 5150

Reaction score
I have an original 74 - 75 white Custom, that I got bc of my love for RR. These old Customs are great guitars :thumb: I figure this is a good opprtunity to post my Rhoads clone :):

Latest Threads