Question about the Std Faded Les Paul's

Boleskinehouse

Reaction score
No offence intended, but way back, did you think 59's were going to be as collectable / valuable as they are ? They made loads of fadeds, but it's a tiny percantage compared to regular standards. Who knows eh?

Well... Way back when '59s were being built, I wasn't even a thought. :laugh2:

Who knows?!? I don't consider it a desirable model, but that doesn't mean they won't increase... They will not reach '59 value in a million years.. I'm quite sure of that. :laugh2:

LPV

Reaction score
No offence intended, but way back, did you think 59's were going to be as collectable / valuable as they are ? They made loads of fadeds, but it's a tiny percantage compared to regular standards. Who knows eh?

That's a ridiculous comparison. Major guitar players playing ground breaking material, changing the tone landscape for ever, and doing so on limited production guitars isn't happening again.

That's not going to happen with fades. They are a good bargain at the going rate and may not depreciate, but collectible ? Nope.

AngryHatter

Reaction score
That's a ridiculous comparison. Major guitar players playing ground breaking material, changing the tone landscape for ever, and doing so on limited production guitars isn't happening again.

That's not going to happen with fades. They are a good bargain at the going rate and may not depreciate, but collectible ? Nope.

You know, 59s were "garbage" (not garbage, but no where nearly as expensive as they are in relation to the rest of the line, now) until some Japanese collectors decided to bid them out of sight in the early 1980s.
What the burgeoning middle class in India decides twenty years from now is desirable is anyone's guess.

Last

The Cleaner
Reaction score
An '05 Standard Faded LP (with a '60's neck) are definitely more desirable than a later year STD FD.

Due to a few factors but mainly that the body chambering didn't start until '06.

I follow the Fadeds quite closely & have seen better prices on the '05's in good condition compared to the newer ones.

You've got a nice guitar & a little better than most STD FD's.

dcooper830

Reaction score
Right now is a really terrible time to sell gear. In this economy you practically have to give stuff away.

Personally.... I think the Standard Fadeds are really great Les Pauls. I'll never sell mine if I can help it. It's my favorite playing and sounding of all my Les Pauls........ of course..... they're all awesome. :D

LPV

Reaction score
You know, 59s were "garbage" (not garbage, but no where nearly as expensive as they are in relation to the rest of the line, now) until some Japanese collectors decided to bid them out of sight in the early 1980s.
What the burgeoning middle class in India decides twenty years from now is desirable is anyone's guess.

The factors that went into making certain guitars extremely collectible are tangible. None of them exist with fade's or other USA LP's today. Easier to sell at market value ? Maybe. Collectible like the 59's? No way. No freakin' way.

Toogy

Reaction score
I love my faded... any excuse to post pics... lol ;)

LP-1.jpg

LP-2.jpg

LP-3.jpg

TomG10-7

Reaction score
I love my faded... any excuse to post pics... lol ;)

LP-1.jpg

LP-2.jpg

LP-3.jpg

Love it, throw some reflectors on there and a reverse zebra bridge pickup and that would be soo close to the Derrig :slash: :laugh2::laugh2:

guitarcase

Reaction score

No, it's not garbage. Fadeds were a limited production in a sense, as they have stopped making them. You don't know what the future holds for any guitar do you? How many times do you hear ' if only I'd kept mine ' ... Fadeds were a good bargain NEW ! Now they have increased in value. If your such a smart ass who knows what s going to happen and what isn,t, you would have bought a load of these, or some better still some 59's:fingersx: but I guess you didn't. .. I bought my faded because I couldn't afford a regular standard at the time. Never dreamed it would go UP in value. Now worth more than my ebony, which seems to have dropped in value.

sonar

Reaction score
The Standard Faded's appreciation is a nice bonus, but in the end these models are meant to be played, not coddled nor stashed away as an investment.

LPV

Reaction score
If your such a smart ass...

I'm smart enough to know your faded will never fetch close to what a '59 does. And yes, by knowing history, we can safely assume certain probabilities in the future are near 100%. I can't guarantee that you aren't going to walk out your door and get hit by a meteorite tomorrow morning at 8:13am either. But I'm freakin' confident it ain't gonna happen.

Stonesy

Reaction score
I bought this 2005 for aboot $950 US. I think it has gone up in value.
Oher than the huge gowge at the 15th fret binding, its a rock n' roll machine.
Loudest solid body guitar unplugged I have ever heard and stays in tune.
Rude and crude plugged in.
077.jpg

059.jpg

guitarcase

Reaction score
I'm smart enough to know your faded will never fetch close to what a '59 does. And yes, by knowing history, we can safely assume certain probabilities in the future are near 100%. I can't guarantee that you aren't going to walk out your door and get hit by a meteorite tomorrow morning at 8:13am either. But I'm freakin' confident it ain't gonna happen.[/QUOTE

Well , knowing a faded won't make the price of a 59 doesn't make you smart. Buying a 59 way back Knowing they would fetch the price they do now would be smart. Did you buy a 59 when they were relatively cheap? Guess not eh. and I guess that's my point, really. Given the choice of a 59 or a 61 45 years ago, which would you or any of us have picked?

I don't keep mine because I think it's going to go up. It did go up but that was luck not my judgement. I keep it because it plays well. Jeez, what's that great big black ball of fire coming towards me. Aghhh

guitarcase

Reaction score
Nice finish Stonesy. Mine was stained by a miopic clown with a nervous twitch, or a 'Craftsman' as Gibson like to call them.

Latest Threads