Question about the Slash Epiphone models from last year -- hoping you guys can help me out

EstrangedReality

Reaction score
Hey all, I was fortunate enough to win a Slash custom model Epi (November Burst) through a giveaway contest the other day.

My predicament is that I actually already own an Epiphone custom Slash model from 2008 (the gold top - https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/guitars/epiphone-slash-les-paul-goldtop-179889 ), and so my main question - which I haven't been able to find anywhere online - are what the key differences are between the two. Is Epiphone generally using superior quality materials in their guitars now compared to 15yrs ago? I think the pickups in my gold top are actual Seymour Duncan's and the new Epi's are custom probuckers, but besides that are there any major differences quality wise or in the way it plays?

My other question is just looking for general opinions on whether it would be worth trying to sell this one (since I do already have an Epi Slash model) and put the money toward a Slash Gibson. I just feel guilty selling something I won. Then again, if it's being reinvested toward a guitar I guess it's the same end result! But I don't even know if I would get anywhere close to its retail value ($950) if I tried to sell it privately and whether it's even worth the hassle. Maybe I should just save up for the Gibson separately? I really love that Appetite amber burst color.

Thanks for any input or advice you may have!

rbraad68

Reaction score
I have one and i can say that the guitar is well made. I would keep the older slash and sell the new one personally ... I did mine up with faber parts new pups and plastics ect... The guitar plays really good but I haven't bonded with and will prob sell the guitar and move on..

Attachments

• slash finished 223111.jpg
    slash finished 223111.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 14

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Yes, the newer Epiphone Inspired By Gibson Models and Signature Model like Slash and Bonamassa are of higher quality than previous years. I don't know about that 2008 model you have in particular, but after a basic setup to change the new one to how you like it, you will know pretty quick which one feels/plays better. I am not sure if the older one has Slash Humbuckers, but the new Slash Models have Custom Probuckers made to Gibson/Slash specs and are Slash approved.

I think after playing them and listening to them, you will know which one to keep if you indeed want to get rid of one. I would keep them both for sure, but that is up to you.

noodlingguitars

Reaction score
The older ones are actually great guitars. the SD Alnico Pro II set is quite nice (I always keep a set or two around the shop because they have a very specific sound to them).

I think the main differences you'll find in the new ones are the following:

1) Fingerboard is definitely different - old uses rosewood, new uses indian laurel. it's not a matter of superiority, they're just different.

2) neck profile - the two have slightly different profiles. I can't say which is better - nor which one is more true to Slash's specs - only he can tell you that. They're just different.

3) fit/finish - this is where the major differences lie. If you really invoke your inner OCD and take a look at the scraping of the binding, the work inside the cavities, the paint runs on the neck joint etc etc... it is likely (but not absolutely) that the 2008 model will have more visible flaws than the newer ones.

4) looks - the new ones are true to Slash's current guitars in terms of the color and look - i.e. they're meat to match their Gibson counterparts. The old one well... without the Slash truss rod cover, it's the same as any gold top in the same era, but upgraded with SD pickups. The shade of Victoria is distinctly different - even the Epiphone one is very true to that color.

On the other hand, hardware - not much difference. Woods, from 2008 to now... I don't think there's a big enough difference to really be meaningful.

Just go with the one you like in terms of looks and feel - they're both great guitars. I don't think you'd have any issues selling either.

rbraad68

Reaction score
Yes, the newer Epiphone Inspired By Gibson Models and Signature Model like Slash and Bonamassa are of higher quality than previous years. I don't know about that 2008 model you have in particular, but after a basic setup to change the new one to how you like it, you will know pretty quick which one feels/plays better. I am not sure if the older one has Slash Humbuckers, but the new Slash Models have Custom Probuckers made to Gibson/Slash specs and are Slash approved.

I think after playing them and listening to them, you will know which one to keep if you indeed want to get rid of one. I would keep them both for sure, but that is up to you.
I deff agree with this. Mine is well built plays really nice. Great quality and all but i think i would do better with a 59 to be honest...

Cardinalcomb

Reaction score
I never liked the SD Slash signature or Alnico pickups. prefer probuckers or burstbuckers for me.

rbraad68

Reaction score
I like the BB's to but 2 of my 3 59's have them so putting the Gibson Slash Alinico 2s in this JB with a new harness will be something different I think...

djw171

Reaction score
The older ones are actually great guitars. the SD Alnico Pro II set is quite nice (I always keep a set or two around the shop because they have a very specific sound to them).

I think the main differences you'll find in the new ones are the following:

1) Fingerboard is definitely different - old uses rosewood, new uses indian laurel. it's not a matter of superiority, they're just different.

2) neck profile - the two have slightly different profiles. I can't say which is better - nor which one is more true to Slash's specs - only he can tell you that. They're just different.

3) fit/finish - this is where the major differences lie. If you really invoke your inner OCD and take a look at the scraping of the binding, the work inside the cavities, the paint runs on the neck joint etc etc... it is likely (but not absolutely) that the 2008 model will have more visible flaws than the newer ones.

4) looks - the new ones are true to Slash's current guitars in terms of the color and look - i.e. they're meat to match their Gibson counterparts. The old one well... without the Slash truss rod cover, it's the same as any gold top in the same era, but upgraded with SD pickups. The shade of Victoria is distinctly different - even the Epiphone one is very true to that color.

On the other hand, hardware - not much difference. Woods, from 2008 to now... I don't think there's a big enough difference to really be meaningful.

Just go with the one you like in terms of looks and feel - they're both great guitars. I don't think you'd have any issues selling either.
The neck profile on the Epiphone versions of Slash LP's never seems the same as the Gibson versions for some reason. The current range feel different to me. I own the 2013 Gibson Rosso Corsa. It has a 60's slim taper (at the time stated "Slash prefers"), the Epiphone version had a 'D', yet they still both had SD pickups, Orange drop caps etc.

darkvoice

Reaction score
If I were you I'd keep new Epi November Rain (especially if you won it, that makes it unique) and sell older one. I prefer new models with redesigned headstock, they look very similar to Gibson. Plus November Rain is such a classic Slash color!

Older ones still go for good amount of $ - I sold my old Slash Anaconda for $750 couple months ago.

As for getting Gibson vs Epi - I would still keep new Epi. I own an Epi Slash and like it a lot, as much as my Gibsons! There were couple comparison videos on Youtube and the conclusion was that it's not worth it to pay $3K for a Gibson Slash and that Epi for the fraction of the price would be close enough for most of the people.

rbraad68

Reaction score
I own the anaconda slash epi that came out last year. The guitar is well built plays great no complaints there. But only a couple of the colors they did are even close to the real ones. I like the gold top they did and the anaconda the rest i think aren't correct at least to me to there not. I deff would of gotten the AFD if it were... I have never played the older slash models by epi and hear they are nice but i think if i had to choose i would keep my new one and sell the older one. I know i stated in a reply above that i would sell the new one but after reading other replys and thinking about it yess.. I would keep the new one. I like what epiphone is doing with their new inspired by series. Just got this JB 59 last week and it really nails the ADF look I think,,,

Attachments

• JB 59 07.jpg
    JB 59 07.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 14
  • slash finished 223111.jpg
    slash finished 223111.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 12

noodlingguitars

Reaction score
I own the anaconda slash epi that came out last year. The guitar is well built plays great no complaints there. But only a couple of the colors they did are even close to the real ones. I like the gold top they did and the anaconda the rest i think aren't correct at least to me to there not. I deff would of gotten the AFD if it were... I have never played the older slash models by epi and hear they are nice but i think if i had to choose i would keep my new one and sell the older one. I know i stated in a reply above that i would sell the new one but after reading other replys and thinking about it yess.. I would keep the new one. I like what epiphone is doing with their new inspired by series. Just got this JB 59 last week and it really nails the ADF look I think,,,

You know the weird thing is, when they first showed pics of the new Epi Slash lineup, I thought the same re: colors. And then now, if you go to a store and see them side by side with their Gibson counterparts, the colors are almost identical. it's kinda like how comics retcon the costumes to follow the movie versions so they're more relatable to people that didn't start out with comics. Of course, if you're comparing them with the late 80s/90s models that he owned, they're nothing similar.

Latest Threads