Question about the P 90 Dog Ear in a CS LP JR RI?

Last

The Cleaner
Reaction score
I'll soon be the new proud owner of a Custom Shop '57 Les Paul Jr. Reissue.

Has the usual historic appointments. CTS POTS & "Bumble Bee Caps" (ahem :rolleyes:) but I'm more concerned about the P 90 it's carrying?

Do the Historic Reissue LP Juniors come with a decent P 90?

If not any suggestions as to what would be a good replacement?

I got this guitar for a song so I've got some left over GAS CASH! :D

Any & all suggestions & or opinions welcomed as usual.

Many Thanks!

delawaregold

_______Artie_______
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Depending how much GAS cash you have, I would think a
Vintage P-90 would be a good buy. I can’t see how you could
be disappointed.

Last

The Cleaner
Reaction score
Thanks for the response.

What's a good price range to expect on a genuine '50's P90 Dog Ear?

I'm guessing around $250 to $350 USD?

delawaregold

_______Artie_______
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I don’t think $250 would do it, but maybe at $350.

Roman

Master Luthier V.I.P.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'll soon be the new proud owner of a Custom Shop '57 Les Paul Jr. Reissue.

Has the usual historic appointments. CTS POTS & "Bumble Bee Caps" (ahem :rolleyes:) but I'm more concerned about the P 90 it's carrying?

Do the Historic Reissue LP Juniors come with a decent P 90?

If not any suggestions as to what would be a good replacement?

I got this guitar for a song so I've got some left over GAS CASH! :D

Any & all suggestions & or opinions welcomed as usual.

Many Thanks!

Nany people seem to like the stock Gibson p90.

A Vintage pickup is a great way to go. but the fake bumblebees HAVE to go.

Also the WBs rock! I just put one in the MLP special and I am impressed.

If you have extra money and want to invest it into the guitar, hee are my 2 cents

Get a Pro setup and bone nut, get rid of the fake caps, and get a WB P90

you could get ALL that done for the price of a vintage p90.

Last

The Cleaner
Reaction score
Many people seem to like the stock Gibson p90.

A Vintage pickup is a great way to go. but the fake bumblebees HAVE to go.

Also the WBs rock! I just put one in the MLP special and I am impressed.

If you have extra money and want to invest it into the guitar, hee are my 2 cents

Get a Pro setup and bone nut, get rid of the fake caps, and get a WB P90

you could get ALL that done for the price of a vintage p90.

Hmmm :hmm:

Excellent advice/Thread

I think you've answered my question. I should be getting my Junior tomorrow will definitely post up pics.

I'm really liking the idea of the Bone Nut as well as the pro setup. The Bumble Bee was getting yanked out for sure to begin with!

Any suggestion as to which WB P-90 to go with? I like to play clean with a nice "punch" to it that will hit you in the chest but definitely not harsh or crunchy sounding.

Thank you!

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm just getting a guitar built to approximate one already own (backup for my '55 Junior). The Over The Pond Guy is winding me a P90. If it sounds 50% as good as what's in trhe orignal guitar I'll be happy, if not impressed. Gibson P90s don't float my boat).

I'm told by some I'll be pretty impressed. If you can wait a month I'll post a verdict. I'm not easily impressed.

Liam

Last

The Cleaner
Reaction score
I'm just getting a guitar built to approximate one already own (backup for my '55 Junior). The Over The Pond Guy is winding me a P90. If it sounds 50% as good as what's in trhe orignal guitar I'll be happy, if not impressed. Gibson P90s don't float my boat).

I'm told by some I'll be pretty impressed. If you can wait a month I'll post a verdict. I'm not easily impressed.

Liam

Thank you Liam.

I've heard some good things about this "Over the Pond Guy". I do know he's part of a fund raising raffle here (which of course I'm entered in). :)

I can hold off for a while for sure. Look forward to your review/impressions of what you receive.

Thanks again!

River

Reaction score
I know nothing about P90's except for the Epi P100 I replaced with an SD Antiquity P90. The SD is a thing of beauty. Clean she's like a set of chimes, overdriving she's like a pack of wolves. Prefer it to my R8 and '92 Standard HBs.

cryptozoo

Reaction score
Get a vintage P90 and be done with it. If you don't, you'll always wonder...

Last

The Cleaner
Reaction score
Have you changed the CAPS or POTS in that R8?

If not you definitely owe it to yourself. :dude:

I know that the '57 Junior Reissues go for around $1500 USD used but I got mine for 1/2 of that shipped!

I'm a little nervous as it was such a wonderful deal but the guy has very good feedback for over 4k transactions.

Only Mods to it so far were a Nitro Gloss White re-paint so he says. I'm concerned a little about this as it's an '08.

Why re-paint an '08 unless you've had repairs or like to change colors on a whim then sell them?

I'll be using a fine tooth comb & the seasoned members here for some critiquing.

Last

The Cleaner
Reaction score
Get a vintage P90 and be done with it. If you don't, you'll always wonder...

Good Lord! You're reading my mind!

On the one hand I know that there are some incredible hand winders out there while on the other there's almost always never anything like the "REAL DEAL" either.

Thanks for your post.

cryptozoo

Reaction score
My take on it is that P90s, unlike PAFs, are still affordable to a working musician, at least for the time being. If a 50s P90 was $2k, I'd suggest you get a Lollar and be happy with it. But for $2-300, I think it's worth it to go vintage.

scottlaned

Reaction score
Sorry to hijack, but on the point of the Gibson P90s -- aren't they the same ones that are used in the non-VOS model Les Paul Junior?

Vintage_Burster

Reaction score
So it uses fake Bumbles, but real CTS Pots? Why would they use real CTS pots then?

SKATTERBRANE

Banned
Reaction score
The Stock Gibson P90s are not all that bad. Try it before you jump.

joebonsai

Reaction score
Hi Last
I do not own a Gibson CS JR, it's only a Edwards, had stock a Seymour Duncan SP 90-1, that was a nice sound
Changed into Seymour Duncan Antiquity P 90 Dogear plus CTS pots and a orange drop, THAT'S IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The difference is sooooo big. In everything, tone, how the tone change on the pots. It's too difficult to describe.

Poor man's guitar getting big!:hippie:

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I put a vintage (1957) P-90 in my 07 57 RI Jr. and it sounds incredible! I believe I paid $345 for it.

And if you think about it $345 is nothing for a vintage pickup if you compare the price of a P-90 to a PAF...

970harris

Reaction score
On the vintage P-90s, just be careful. I had two vintage Juniors when I was younger, one doublecut and one singlecut (both of which had had the SN's sanded off). The pickup on the singlecut was sweet as hell --- fat, rch, and warm, with a really throaty growl, and the one on the doublecut was just flat dogbreath --- thin, wan, no bite.

I now have a 2006 CS Les Paull Special reissue. I replaced the stock bridge P-90 with one from Jason Lollar, and it sounded better, but it didn't really sing until I replaced the stock fake Bees on the guitar, and the bridge cap specifically with a vintage .047 Bee from Jonesy. That bridge pickup now smokes.

So I'd see what you can do about changing the cap out on your Junior before I'd invest in a new pickup and see what you get out of the stock P-90. As others have suggested, you are going to want the different capacitor anyway, and can always get the pickup later.

Danelectro

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
For my Historic Junior, I bought a vintage P-90 that came from a 1956 Junior that had been parted out. It was terribly microphonic when played with a high gain setting on the amp. I ended up putting the stock pickup back in and eBay'd the vintage pup away.

Latest Threads