Question about the Les Paul CS 2018 Historic Reissue

oldluapsel

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Posted this in the General Les Paul forums but was told this was a better place to talk about this kind of stuff :)

So after finally trying out some CS Les Paul Standard models I have decided to pull the trigger and get one (I already own a standard which I also love very much however I found the difference between the two quite substantial).

I was looking at some of the current reissues and their specs seem to be pretty good (long neck tenon, hide glue fit etc...) their price however is pretty insane (around 6800 USD here in Europe) I also have stumbled upon the Les Paul Custom shop 2018 Historic Reissue: http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2018/Custom/Historic-60-Les-Paul-Standard.aspx

It costs around 5k Euros which is much less than the current reissues and I was thinking perhaps I should get this one instead?

I tried researching some more opinions on how good this 2018 historic reissue series is, however there are no reviews and not much information around the net regarding these particular models. I was wondering what to you think about these? are they worth getting? will I miss something if I won't get the current historic reissues?

Would love to hear your opinion!

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
2018 Historics are fantastic. "The Bankruptcy Burst," Henry's swan song with the company. I have one from late '18 and it's an outstanding guitar (for reference, I also have one from '19 and I don't think it's any better).

oldluapsel

Reaction score
2018 Historics are fantastic. "The Bankruptcy Burst," Henry's swan song with the company. I have one from late '18 and it's an outstanding guitar (for reference, I also have one from '19 and I don't think it's any better).
That's great to hear!
One thing that is still a bit surprising to me is how much the price is lower than the current reissues, I wonder if this might be due to the fact that these are "The Bankruptcy Burst" like you said, or perhaps because they are glossy finish instead of VOS I wonder...

If you are buying online, get the guitar with the top you like the most. Check that it has the neck size you prefer. And finally make sure there is a good returns policy.
The place I'm buying from has already sent me some of the tops they have actually, need to figure out which one I want now.

I have attached some pics they sent me to this post
2.jpeg
20200722_150113.jpg

Last edited:

Thundermtn

Reaction score
The 2nd one is better, but...... what do you want it to sound like? What qualities are most important that it has? Sustain, bite, warmth, sweetness, growl

Let them know what you're after and let them send the one that matches it.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
That first guitar might be a knock out but hard to tell from one lousy picture.

oldluapsel

Reaction score
What a beauty, what color is it? is it some sort of bourbon burst?
The 2nd one is better, but...... what do you want it to sound like? What qualities are most important that it has? Sustain, bite, warmth, sweetness, growl

Let them know what you're after and let them send the one that matches it.
I will keep that in mind however it looks like they only have 2 of these in stock and the second guitar (the one with the more flame) is B stock so I'm not sure they will be willing to actually plug them in and tell me which one has what qualities, good thing there is a pretty good return policy at that store so I can always just send it back.
That first guitar might be a knock out but hard to tell from one lousy picture.
I asked them to send me some more pics to be sure how the first one actually looks like, will post them in a sec

oldluapsel

Reaction score
They have sent me some more pics of both tops

The first 2 pics are guitar #2 and the rest are the less flamey guitar #1

I would agree with you guys from the pictures the one with the more flame wins for me (although I honestly think both look amazing)

The flamier one is also apparently b-stock and was returned to them due to some cosmetically issues, they have sent me a picture of the binding and there seem to be some minor scratches which I don't really mind, one thing I noticed however is and it's barely visible are little fret end lines that are sticking out I have (No idea what are they called :p) are these normal?

If it's all good I might just pull the trigger on it in the upcoming days

1596649346459.png1596649258664.png1596650155786.png1596649157499.png1596649134738.pngimage2.jpegimage.jpeg

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
What a beauty, what color is it? is it some sort of bourbon burst?

I will keep that in mind however it looks like they only have 2 of these in stock and the second guitar (the one with the more flame) is B stock so I'm not sure they will be willing to actually plug them in and tell me which one has what qualities, good thing there is a pretty good return policy at that store so I can always just send it back.

I asked them to send me some more pics to be sure how the first one actually looks like, will post them in a sec
Yes,... a Bourbon Burst,.... it differs in different light.... the red comes out in brighter light and less in warmer light.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I had those same binding cracks at the ends of the frets on a vintage LP that I used to own. Clearly they're from fret sprout, caused by the board contracting due to changes in temperature/humidity. They never bothered me.

Consider it authentic aging!

oldluapsel

Reaction score
I had those same binding cracks at the ends of the frets on a vintage LP that I used to own. Clearly they're from fret sprout, caused by the board contracting due to changes in temperature/humidity. They never bothered me.

Consider it authentic aging!
Thanks so much for this info, puts me at ease that this kind of thing is normal!

I think I will go ahead and order it then :dude:

Latest Threads