Question about solderless wiring...

ThouMetal

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post. I have a question, i just bought some Seymour Duncan Blackouts (EMTY) and it came with the pots and wiring kit, but it has to soldered and my soldering iron is crap and my skill with it is even crappier. So i was wondering if the solderless EMG wiring kits they sell will work for this, Also my guitar has 1 tone and 1 volume switch and one 3 way toggle, if the kit works, this is fine right? Thank you

jamman

Reaction score
I don't know about SD's pups , But if you want to do the work yourself , Buy a new Iron (not to much $$$) Then Practice and get your soldering skills up . Less is more when soldering :cool:

Are the SD's 4 lead connectors ? I would think if the color codes are the same or you can figure out which is what it could be done . Lastly , It could be done by a guitar Tech.

sidious911

Reaction score
I tried installing new pickups once, and it went horribly simply because I had a POS Iron, so I had grounding issues and ended up taking it in to be fixed.

This time around, I picked up a 40 watt iron off StewMac, you can get an iron and stand with tip cleaning sponge, and solder for like $30. There are so many resources on this forum alone for proper solder technique, I just watched them all, most more than once. If i was not sure about something I'd just google/youtube it. So far my wiring attempts have gone great.

I also picked up a Digital Multi Meter that has a continuity(beep) mode. Every time I solder a wire, I checked the continuity of the wire ends to make sure I didn't happen to have a bad piece of wire. Then every time I solder a joint, I check that I have proper continuity from each side. Makes it very easy to see if you got a bad solder joint, much easier than trying to track one down after everything is wired and just doesn't work!

Latest Threads