Question about shipping charges using Proxy/FedEx

WatchGuy26

Reaction score
I know a lot of folks here use proxy services to bring MIJ guitars into the States, so I thought I'd ask if anybody knows the science (LOL) behind shipping charges. I've opted for Fedex (always cheaper than DHL and quicker than EMS), but shipping prices have varied wildly on similar guitars. None in hard cases, all under 8 lbs and traditional sizes: LP/Strat/Tele.

I've done a couple of combined shipments with two guitars in one box that came out to $198 and $206. Single guitars have varied between $66 and $130. I thought $66 to $130 seemed a little peculiar, but just chalked it up to fuel prices, etc. But here's the real head scratcher and reason for the post: I bought a Strat a few days ago via FJ and the FedEx international shipping quote was $197. DHL was $16 more and EMS $4 less, but still....a Tele in a gig bag is $66, but a Strat in a gig bag is $197!? I waited 24 hours, checking the price again before paying. I thought (wrongly) that there was a glitch somewhere or the yen shot up.

Even though the Strat was shown with and described as having a gig bag, I'm half expecting it to arrive in a hardshell case. I can at least justify that.

Anyway, happy to have these instruments, just wondering why/how there can be such a wild price difference on extremely similar guitars going to the same address?

Roxy13

Reaction score
Often times it's the size of the box FJ uses. Sometimes they pack guitars in overly large boxes and that shoots the shipping cost way up.

WatchGuy26

Reaction score
Often times it's the size of the box FJ uses. Sometimes they pack guitars in overly large boxes and that shoots the shipping cost way up.
I'll have to double check the shipping boxes. I tossed a few, but have a few left in the loft in my garage. I can recall the double guitar shipments definitely had a deeper box, but I think the single guitar boxes have all been the same size.

Latest Threads