Question about SG Tribute

squid8286

Reaction score
Got sort of a dumb question here. I bought an SG Standard Tribute about 3 months ago. Being a relative newbie, what is the neck size on this particular guitar? Feels sort of large (which I like.) Since the SG came out in 61 or so, did they ever actually have a "50s neck?" I know somebody knows the answer. I don't see anything in any literature about it anywhere.

sparky2

Reaction score
squid,

You bought it, and therefore it must be a really great neck.

Does the size matter?

Just play it, and rock out.
Neck radius, neck size, D-shape, V-shape, whatever. Who cares?
Forget the guitar web forum talking points.

Just enjoy your wonderful new Gibson SG.

:)

squid8286

Reaction score
Well, I bought off Reverb, so I didn't get to see it before I bought it, but it does fit me. The brown one is nice. I bought a red one after going back and forth on them. Mine is a slightly used 2021. That is probably the reason I chose it. It was a little less $$ than a new one. Had one mark on the back from the previous owner's stand that was almost un-noticeable. I am really happy with it.

CerebralGasket

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
SG necks are usually listed as either Slim Taper or Rounded.
Since there was no SG in the 50's the thicker necks are listed as Rounded.

For me, it's all about the neck.
Slim Taper necks cause my hand to fatigue. They feel thin and flat on the backside and have little to no shoulder. I prefer rounded necks which are usually thicker, have more shoulder and fill the hand for a more comfortable playing experience.

The thickest neck that I have ever encountered on an SG was from a 1970 SG Junior.

Had a 2009 SG '61 RI in the past. That's the one that made me realize I don't get along with Slim Taper necks. If I had to draw the neck profile, it looked like this...

Last edited:

CerebralGasket

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've handled one of those SG Tribute in the past at a local store. It had a comfortable rounded neck profile.

Here's the specs for the guitar...

The 'SG Tribute' is the new model name for what was previously called the 'SG Faded'.

The first SG Faded were released in 2002 and were named 'SG Special Faded'. 2002-2003 had ebony boards with crescent moon inlays. 2004 they switched to rosewood boards with dots. The necks were rounded up until 2017 when they switched to Slim Taper. The necks were mahogany most years but switched to maple a few years ago.

Last edited:

squid8286

Reaction score
I appreciate the info. So I must be dumb as I said I couldn't find any literature on it! There it is in black and white!

Deftone

Reaction score
Necks don't bother me, 60's, 50's, slim taper, deep V......whatever. I prefer the slim taper I guess but my '14 LP Standard has a "50's neck" and I love it. I think my favorite is the Charvel Model Series necks. Ibanez Wizard necks are cool too. My '89 LP Studio had the fattest neck I have ever played. There's a thread on here somewhere. I still loved that guitar.

My '67 SG jr get's pretty narrow at the nut. That's the only thing I don't like about that guitar.

sonar1

Reaction score
Tributes are great. LP or SG.
I really like the maple necks currently used.
Prefer rounded C to “slim fast taper” but just a preference, not a deal breaker.
Besides the ‘50’s type necks, the ‘64 necks are deep C.

endial

Reaction score
Had a 2009 SG '61 RI in the past. That's the one that made me realize I don't get along with Slim Taper necks. If I had to draw the neck profile, it looked like this...

My dude, I damn near lost a mouthful of ginger ale upon seeing that. That is EXACTLY how I see those damned things!

-Whence the laugh emoji response. Freakin' hilarious.

Congrats on your SG Tribute, OP. I'd love to have one. I sure would like to see some pics of it!

sparky2

Reaction score

Oh man, so nice.

I really love that padded Gibson soft case too.
My favorite of all the ones they have offered over the years!

:)

Pancreas

Reaction score
Nice SG! I'm going back and forth between the Tribute and the Standard. I don't know if the neck binding and gloss finish are worth the extra $400

squid8286

Reaction score
Thanks! It sounds really good. Workmanship is excellent. I would get the Tribute, even if I had the extra $400 to blow.

Jungle

Reaction score
The SG Special and SG Tribute are great guitars, not cheap but affordable because of the simple finish.

Latest Threads