Question about refret

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I can lev
20201126_124911.jpg
el crown and polish but these may be beyond that. Can you guys tell from the pics if these need replaced?

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you can level, crown and polish, do it anyway before doing a refret. If it's a no go then get it done.

The frets don't look too bad and leveling and recrowning may get out most if not all of the divots.

I say give it shot.

ETA: Nice rosewood BTW -- or is that ebony?

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1
Worst case: You make it better and decide you still need a refret.
Best case: Divots often are not as deep as they seem. You may not have to go down as far as you fear. The "eye" makes it look bad. Most concerning is your 2nd fret, but if it's really no deeper than the 1st, it may not be that bad.

If you can level and crown it yourself, then you're not putting any cash into it. Hold off on deepening the nut slots until you're happy with the new height.

tramp

Reaction score
For whatever reason, divot's always look to be deeper than what they usually end up being. I'd give it a level, crown and polish, you may be surprised how much fret life you have left there.

smk506

Reaction score
At least get them level. If you’re looking at them then and you know the eyes too small you don’t have to go through the trouble of crowning and polishing, but you’ll have a much better idea of what’s really there.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I have gigs tonight and tomorrow. I will do a fret level next week.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
still plenty of life left in those frets
They look bad but I have never done a refret so you are probably right. I play this guitar at my gigs and like I said I have a gig tonight and tomorrow night. I will work on it next week.

Reaction score
FWIW - I've leveled and re-crowned lots of frets that I thought were shot and was always shocked at how well they came out. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

jvin248

Reaction score

When you level these, use a much higher grit on the leveling beam than you or others might use so that you can sneak up on the bellies of those little beasts. If you normally use 240 to start then go up to 320/400.

If someday refret .. go with Stainless Steel.

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If someday refret .. go with Stainless Steel.
:yesway:
Go Stainless, go forth, and refret no more.

Well... OK, the hours you put on the neck, a stainless may not be your last refret.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
:yesway:
Go Stainless, go forth, and refret no more.

Well... OK, the hours you put on the neck, a stainless may not be your last refret.
I was shocked a couple of weeks ago when a client came in for a refret. It had only been 6 years since I last refretted that guitar......with stainless steel!....they were completely pitted and worn out.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I was shocked a couple of weeks ago when a client came in for a refret. It had only been 6 years since I last refretted that guitar......with stainless steel!....they were completely pitted and worn out.
I don't suppose you know how long he went on his initial frets for comparison? Most of my keepers I refret with SS hoping I won't have to do it again, but now I'm not so sure lol.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I don't know Roxy, but I do know that this guy plays hard and he has a "death grip" fretting hand. Jeez....on my own guitars that I had fretted with SS there's not even a hint of wear after years now.

Here's a video of the guy playing (back in the fun days when people gathered and partied!) ....I recorded this in 2016, not long after I refretted his guitar with SS.

smk506

Reaction score
A lot probably has to do with number of guitars in rotation as well. When you’re playing through 12 or so fairly regularly, that’s a lot of fret to spread the wear around.

Reaction score
A lot probably has to do with number of guitars in rotation as well. When you’re playing through 12 or so fairly regularly, that’s a lot of fret to spread the wear around.
Yep, rotation and grip. When I was young and had only a few guitars I would burn through frets. My main guitar went through 4 fret jobs in those days! Today I have a lot more guitars, try to rotate between them (just to keep from getting bored if nothing else) and have learned to use a lighter touch. Fret wear is much less of an issue now.

Latest Threads