Question about refinishing

Reaction score
What up.

A, how much would having a refinish done on an LP cost me,

B, who would be a reputable source, maybe even someone from here?

I have a standard I absolutely love, and dont dislike the current finish but would be open to considering it. The guitar just have phenomenal playability for me compared to all others I've tried and I've thought about it.

Thoughts from yall who know better than me?

Thx!

rialcnis

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could you add some photos? and info. For me I went to a local Luthier for a refinish and other repairs.

ARandall

Reaction score
You'll need to let us know where you're located. A more local person is the best option all else being equal.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
You should also specify what kind of finish you want. Yes, there are many kinds.

One person may want a pure vintage style nitrocellulose finish and he may want it to be absolutely flawless, another may want some degree of ageing/relicing on it.

Another may want to go with a more modern finish technology like automotive acrylic urethane clearcoats over a traditional looking sunburst.

Or maybe you want something wild and custom like a metalflake job in a wild color. Or hand painted artwork.

Or maybe you want a satin finish. Or an oiled finish.

Prices vary enormously. Really depends on what you want, what the paint costs, how much labor is involved, and the skill level of the painter. Plus his own assessment of the value of his labors, of course.

I did a nitrocellulose based restoration/repaint on a Hamer guitar last year and I charged 500 dollars for the whole job. Given the time involved in making the whole guitar look RIGHT, I didn't overcharge! Not even close!

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Costs vary quite a bit, In U.K. I was quoted £700 for a complete refinish in uncatalyzed nitro with no added plasticisers used. That included things like re silk screening the Les Paul logo. Which is a lot, but a lot less than the Europeans are charging. Poly finishes are about half the nitro ones cost wise. If I found a really great reissue with vos finish, I would certainly consider a vintage nitro refinish now I have got a Murphy lab.

if you do decide to go ahead, lots of research to make sure the guy is highly skilled. Recommendations and lots of examples of previous work.

chrimer

Reaction score
I have a feeling he's in Philly!

2 guys I've worked with, very positive experience.

Eric at Revelator in Mt Laurel, NJ - mostly an F-Type builder but he can do a nitro set neck refin as well. He did a Strat for me and was great to work with.

Or if you're willing to ship to FL - Kip @ Starr Guitars. He's doing a limited # of refins these days but worth a call/email.

Reaction score
I was considering redoing my cherry sunburst to a nice tobacco burst, nitro finish.

I could just buy a new guitar but as previously mentioned this one I have a unique connection with.

I'm not in a big hurry to do so though.

Im located in Iowa in the US

Latest Threads