Question about nut and bending on LP

epiphone6

Reaction score
Hi folks, I recently got a MIJ Epiphone Les Paul, couldn't be happier. The only thing that really bothers me is, the strings on the new guitar are noticeably harder to bend - or not as smooth to bend, and my fingertip often gets caught with the upper string when I bend. The strings on both guitars are of the same brand and gauge.

It appears that the nuts settings are very different, which I suspect may be the cause (Left image: new LP; Right image: old LP)
If the nut is the problem, what should I do?

Thank you in advance!
1.jpg
22.jpg

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
It probably doesn't have anything to do with the nut. If you want the strings to bend easier, buy a lighter gauge, or top wrap the strings over the tailpiece like this. This eliminates the hard angle between the bridge and tailpiece and requires less force to bend strings. Good luck.

valvetoneman

Reaction score
Relief has to be taken into consideration too, check both first and the string height should be checked.

ARandall

Reaction score
Your top picture is the better cut nut at least in terms of slot depth. The second shot needs to have the nut top surface taken down.
But you need to look at all aspects of setup as has been mentioned, so making sure the slots are good compared to fret height, relief and the bridge height.

There is also a 'new wood' factor. Where certain guitars will play a bit stiffer until they relax into their role as an instrument.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, the one with the "Gibson" truss rod cover is a textbook example of a properly made nut.

Latest Threads