Question about my Les Paul finish

Simponimas

Reaction score
It's a 1996 Les Paul Standard with flame top and Tobacco burst, but I've rarely seen any other guitars from the same production year with the same top & finish. It looks a bit too yellow-ish to me, is it though?

It plays & sounds really great just like how a good Gibson Les Paul so I'm sure it's not a fake, but can anyone confirm that this finish is original?

Thanks!

1132.PNG
1138.PNG
1144.PNG
1150.PNG

ARandall

Reaction score
Well, reading through initially, the term 'yellowish' sort of seemed to me a bit obtuse - as in how would you tell or why should it matter.
But looking at a few things in the pics you might be right about the refin.
There is a lot more sinkage in the margins.....the lower bout near the pots and the opposite side have flame patterned low spots that I have only seen on poorly done home refins where not enough sealing/level sanding was done. The level of shine seems low too.
The burst pattern is quite narrow on the edge for most factory finishes I've seen from the USA plant.
Finally the scraping of the body binding is way thinner than Gibsons would have as standard. It should match the width of the neck binding.

Simponimas

Reaction score
Interesting, can you please explain the reason? I believe it's modded there and there, maybe even refinished, but I still think it's a real Gibson.

Last edited:

Simponimas

Reaction score
Well, reading through initially, the term 'yellowish' sort of seemed to me a bit obtuse - as in how would you tell or why should it matter.
There is a lot more sinkage in the margins.....the lower bout near the pots and the opposite side have flame patterned low spots that I have only seen on poorly done home refins where not enough sealing/level sanding was done. The level of shine seems low too.
The burst pattern is quite narrow on the edge for most factory finishes I've seen from the USA plant.
Finally the scraping of the body binding is way thinner than Gibsons would have as standard. It should match the width of the neck binding.
very detailed observation, really appreciate it!

E.T.

Reaction score
Have recently learned that GC sometimes order "limited runs" which don't appear on the Gibson website. There's also a lot of hooey about- one example I read the other day is "Made in U.S.A. means it's fake because of the dots". Or maybe the other way around. Also doesn't help that serial numbers don't always look perfect and Gibson will ask you for pictures before they confirm it's one of theirs (thus defeating the point of blind confirmation, as if forgers are waiting there with their copies unfinished and unbound until they find out what finish and trim level the one they nicked the serial off is meant to have). I've been trolled with "It's A Fake So You Should Sell It To Me For Really Cheap" before as well, which is irritating :squint:

All that said, the top binding does look oddly un-scraped. Best bet is probably to check the serial with Gibson, I'm not sure if they actually know what the finishes are out of the factory, though.

Last edited:

endial

Reaction score
Yeah, it's not necessary to call out a fake unless you can back it up, lest you label yourself an uninformed douche.

Pretty certain it's a real Gibson. Still on the fence about a refin, although I like it for what it is.

ARandall

Reaction score
Interesting, can you please explain the reason? I believe it's modded there and there, maybe even refinished, but I still think it's a real Gibson.
That guy posts drunk a lot......that or without using his brain in the least bit.

Best just to ignore anything he says....like practically 100% of the forum has learned to do through experience

Simponimas

Reaction score
Doesn’t look fake or refinished to me. They used to call that vintage sunburst sometimes. Are you sure that it’s a 96?
And it doesn’t play like a fake :)
the seller said it’s a 96, and I checked the serial number at a gibson serial number decoder site.

Simponimas

Reaction score
Have recently learned that GC sometimes order "limited runs" which don't appear on the Gibson website. There's also a lot of hooey about- one example I read the other day is "Made in U.S.A. means it's fake because of the dots". Or maybe the other way around. Also doesn't help that serial numbers don't always look perfect and Gibson will ask you for pictures before they confirm it's one of theirs (thus defeating the point of blind confirmation, as if forgers are waiting there with their copies unfinished and unbound until they find out what finish and trim level the one they nicked the serial off is meant to have). I've been trolled with "It's A Fake So You Should Sell It To Me For Really Cheap" before as well, which is irritating :squint:

All that said, the top binding does look oddly un-scraped. Best bet is probably to check the serial with Gibson, I'm not sure if they actually know what the finishes are out of the factory, though.

thanks for the comment, I’ll try to check with Gibson!

Simponimas

Reaction score
Yeah, it's not necessary to call out a fake unless you can back it up, lest you label yourself an uninformed douche.

Pretty certain it's a real Gibson. Still on the fence about a refin, although I like it for what it is.
That guy posts drunk a lot......that or without using his brain in the least bit.

Best just to ignore anything he says....like practically 100% of the forum has learned to do through experience
noted, thanks for the replies

emerald81

Reaction score
All correct but probably a refinished top.

If you remove the pups, in the bridge (or neck) cavity, should say the initials for the model and maybe the original color.

Something like "lps ts" (les paul std tobacco sunburst). Or lpsp ts, les paul std premium tobacco sunburst.

And send a email to gibson too.

jk60LPTH

Reaction score
Funny how many different names have been used for the same bursts... I have one very much the same colors (except the dark area is wider) that is called 'Dark Burst'.

ballou48

Reaction score
It's a 1996 Les Paul Standard with flame top and Tobacco burst, but I've rarely seen any other guitars from the same production year with the same top & finish. It looks a bit too yellow-ish to me, is it though?

It plays & sounds really great just like how a good Gibson Les Paul so I'm sure it's not a fake, but can anyone confirm that this finish is original?

Thanks!

View attachment 523549 View attachment 523550 View attachment 523551 View attachment 523552
Make it better mommy, make it better!!

dasherf17

Reaction score
Ambered up with age? It IS 15 yrs old...

Fret Hopper

Reaction score
15 years old?!?

Do you have a hot tub time machine?

It is at least legal drinking age + some.

dasherf17

Reaction score
Would you believe at LEAST 15 years old?
Oops, my bad...25...coffee hadn't kicked in, yet...even more time to "tan"...(splittin' hairs...)

Last edited:

Latest Threads