Question about Gibson Quick Connect harness

Joe Hurtado

Reaction score
I just picked up a newer Gibson SG special faded that came with their quick connect plugs and no pickups. I have an old set of DiMarzio’s I want to install but I don’t know if it will work with the quick connect system. It looks like it would but I m not sure.

Here’s a picture of the harness:

F7DAF96E-98C6-40C8-AED7-0824E49B38CB.jpeg

BRMarshall

Reaction score
I believe it will work fine. For DiMarzio, red is your hot wire. I don’t coil split so if your pup is 4 wire, you can twist, solder, and tape black and white, connect red and green (ground) in correct locations and you should be in business. Others here can help you with other wiring options ( like coil splitting), but this is how I’ve done it.

jonesy

GLOBAL WIRING GURU
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
From what I can see it looks like the pickups are soldered directly to the pots. No quick connects.

DiMarzio pickups red + to pot lug, green - and bare to back of pot, black and white (series link) soldered together and taped off and you are good to go.

Rob the Photog

Reaction score
Sorry to be contradictory to Jonesy, who is truly a pickup expert, but OP is correct, he needs Quick Connect plugs. I believe all Gibson PCBs require Quick Connects, but at any rate the pots are soldered to the PCB, and the Quick Connect ports are visible in his photo.

F7DAF96E-98C6-40C8-AED7-0824E49B38CB.jpeg

If you're looking to install connectors onto your DiMarzios, then here is an excellent post detailing what you'd need (you need the white plugs with 5 terminals/holes).

https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/gibson-quick-connect-plugs-molex-and-mouser-part-numbers-here.417754/

I haven't dealt with Gibson Quick Connect plugs specifically, but I've done the exact same procedure at my workplace with a different style of Molex connector (photos below). You strip the end of the wire and twist it, use the crimping tool to put a pin on it, and then push the pin into the appropriate hole on the connector. If you put a pin in the wrong spot, then you either have to have a special tool to push the pin out of the connector or snip the wires and start over.

molex1.JPG

molex2.JPG

Pros and cons...

Pros: swapping pickups is easy, the connectors are "idiot-proof" (as long as they were wired correctly), and if you're doing large batches in a factory then it's less time-consuming and requires far less skill than soldering each connection by hand.

Cons: you must buy pickups with Quick Connects already installed or install them yourself on any pickups you want to put in your guitar (which also means they won't be usable in guitars without a Gibson PCB unless you snip off the connectors and solder them in), if you're DIY-ing to fit them onto DiMarzios, Duncans, etc. then you have to purchase all of the components (pins and connectors, and they're usually sold in bulk so you'll probably have to buy at least 25 of each) and the proper crimping tool (there are different crimpers designed for different pin sizes and shapes, so you must get the proper tool). Basically, it's a lot of time, expense, and hassle to fit into a very specific installation, and unless you're planning to put Gibson PCBs and Quick Connects on EVERYTHING you own then you're paying for a specialty tool that you'll only use for one project.

My personal opinion: a good solder job is superior to these push-on connectors, and learning to solder is a valuable skill that will empower you to work on any guitar, whereas learning to properly crimp pins and fit them into Molex connectors is only good for Gibson PCBs and Bittree patch bays and the like. So, I'd suggest ditching the PCB, soldering a harness together, and soldering your DiMarzios in. If you don't have the tools or the skills for this job, then you probably won't want to mess with putting connectors on your DiMarzios either, so I'd suggest finding a qualified person to do the job for you (but if you want to learn how to solder, then this is a good opportunity to dive in - it's not difficult, but like anything it takes practice in order to do it well). Another option is to buy a pair of Gibson pickups with Quick Connects for this specific guitar.

I hope that was helpful. Good luck! :thumb:

BRMarshall

Reaction score
Hey Rob, thank you for the detailed information on these Gibson connectors. I’ve always done pickups the old solder way, although my skills are not great. I see your point as to their benefits in production but do seem to present challenges to most of us. I would agree that putting in the new pups without using the connectors is a better way to go.

Latest Threads