question about changing knobs on a traditional

DiBiaso

Reaction score
i've had my traditional for a week and a half and am already making some changes.

today i swapped in a set of amber knobs and switch tip. i love the way they look, as they seem to accent the honeyburst so much better than the gold speed knobs (which looked a little "tacky" to my eye).

however, i was disappointed with the fit of the amber knobs. the speed knobs smoothly slid on and off the posts, but the amber ones seemed like they had to be "jammed" on. on the one hand, i am certain that they are not going anywhere now, but it seems as if they should have fit as smoothly, right?

Attachments

• IMG_3950.jpg
    IMG_3950.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 98

cristi tanasescu

Reaction score
they should fit smoothly, anything more than that is a problem. the knobs are weird..

ARandall

Reaction score
New knobs will have a tight fit. They get looser with multiple installs. Also there are various internal spline sizes. If you got the wrong one it would be very hard to get on as they have differing depth to the knurl.

DiBiaso

Reaction score
yeah, i suspect the spines may be off on these. they are on it now, and they were free, so i'm not going to complain.

are each style knob available in different spine measurements? i didn't see any specs when looking them up online.

on the upside, i can't believe how much better they look. i guess it is a decent trade-off :)

04renostar

Reaction score
I do like the look of those knobs better than the amber speed knobs. Amber reflector knobs may look even better.
As for sizes, I don't think there are spline sizes but there are USA sized knobs such as those used by Gibson and CTS pots. Then there are metric sized knobs used on stuff like the Epiphone LPs. The metric ones have a slightly smaller diameter hole than the USA stuff. You may just have installed metric knobs.

DiBiaso

Reaction score
I do like the look of those knobs better than the amber speed knobs. Amber reflector knobs may look even better.
As for sizes, I don't think there are spline sizes but there are USA sized knobs such as those used by Gibson and CTS pots. Then there are metric sized knobs used on stuff like the Epiphone LPs. The metric ones have a slightly smaller diameter hole than the USA stuff. You may just have installed metric knobs.

hmm... that might be. they did come packed as "Gibson Bench Spec."

the were also outside in the mailbox for hours (it is below 0 deg. here), could this have a bearing on the tightness?

i'm sure if needed i could enlarge the posts slightly too.

GitFiddle

Reaction score
yeah, i suspect the spines may be off on these. they are on it now, and they were free, so i'm not going to complain.

are each style knob available in different spine measurements? i didn't see any specs when looking them up online.

on the upside, i can't believe how much better they look. i guess it is a decent trade-off :)

There are mainly two types of knobs:
Fine spline - used on Gibsons and imperial type pots like CTS
Coarse spline - used mainly on import guitars (such as Epi) on metric type pots

I mistakenly tried to force an Epi knob on a newly installed CTS pot and ended up pushing the guts of the pot right out the back.

Check the spline count (coarse or fine) before installing knobs.
Most places that sell knobs will specify coarse or fine. You can search around and find the actual count of splines in each.

A safe practice when installing new knobs, is to take the cavity cover off and put your thumb on the back of the pot that is getting the knob.

(I said "getting the knob" :laugh2:)

tallpaul

Reaction score
perhaps you could work your knob up and down a bit or lubricate the shaft!
hee hee fnarr fnarr

DiBiaso

Reaction score
i just emailed the place i got the knobs from and they said that there is only one size available, which should fit all american gibsons. interestingly, looking at comments for these knobs right on the gibson website, others have complained (both with traditionals and standards) that the knobs don't fit without squeezing the posts slightly with pliers.

any other ideas? they are on the guitar right now and look fine, but i really would prefer to have them mounted "correctly." all joking aside, could some sort of lubricant help, and if so what would you use?

GitFiddle

Reaction score
This is an example of what I meant about coarse and fine splines.

STEWMAC.COM : Bell Knob

If they are mounted on the guitar already, why do you want to remount them?
Do the number of splines in the knob appear to match the same on the pot shaft?

If not, they are the wrong knobs.

Can you provide a link to the knobs that you purchased?

Not all knobs are created equal. I get a lot of stuff from Stew-Mac but I don't care for the LP knobs they sell. I had better luck at another place (that I can't recall at the moment, maybe Allparts?).

DiBiaso

Reaction score
This is an example of what I meant about coarse and fine splines.

STEWMAC.COM : Bell Knob

If they are mounted on the guitar already, why do you want to remount them?
Do the number of splines in the knob appear to match the same on the pot shaft?

If not, they are the wrong knobs.

Can you provide a link to the knobs that you purchased?

Not all knobs are created equal. I get a lot of stuff from Stew-Mac but I don't care for the LP knobs they sell. I had better luck at another place (that I can't recall at the moment, maybe Allparts?).

the knobs i have (part # PRHK-030) are the top hats here :
Top Hat Knobs - 4 pack - Gibson Store

i realize that with them already mounted, i am probably making an issue out of a non-issue, but i do love this guitar quite a bit already, and if there is something that is not quite right, i'd like to make it perfect :)

nitrodave08

Reaction score
I did the same thing in my trad pro 2. They had the gold tophats, and it was a bear getting them off and not so bad getting the ambers on. Maybe the pot shafts with speed knobs are a little less spread to start with

mchoate1

Reaction score
Don't like Amber reflector knobs. Toss them out. I use the old style real
Gibson Light Gold Top hats... Use real Gibson parts and they
will fit the way they should, Just be sure of what you are buying.. I just put
a set on my Studio I just repainted Palham Blue and they look great..
I also added a Bigsby to the body. did not use the kit.. and changed the bridge
to an ABR1. (Not shown in Picture)..

Attachments

• IMG_1888.jpg
    IMG_1888.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1893.jpg
    IMG_1893.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 30

Latest Threads