Question about Burny Les Paul

squid8286

Reaction score
A local guy has a Black Beauty Custom for sale for $600. The serial # is FG101100XX. Does that # indicate a Chinese or Japanese - built guitar?

Central Scrutinizer

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interested to know this also.
I am sure someone more knowledgeable than I will answer soon enough.

KStopper65

Reaction score
Well FG would indicate Fujigen, so thats Japanese. Probably a '81 or '91 I'm not too sure.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Well FG would indicate Fujigen, so thats Japanese. Probably a '81 or '91 I'm not too sure.
No, sorry, FG is NOT Fujigen.

Yes, it's a Chinese made Burny. All of the modern Japanese made Burnys (the ones they still make alongside the Chinese models) have the serial in the front pickup cavity. So any you see with the FG on the back of the headstock are Chinese.

KStopper65

Reaction score
No, sorry, FG is NOT Fujigen.

Yes, it's a Chinese made Burny. All of the modern Japanese made Burnys (the ones they still make alongside the Chinese models) have the serial in the front pickup cavity. So any you see with the FG on the back of the headstock are Chinese.
Well, you learn something new everyday. I wonder why they put FG on it tho?

Roxy13

Reaction score
Well, you learn something new everyday. I wonder why they put FG on it tho?
I don't know what it stands for, but a lot of people do mistake it for being Fujigen and then are disappointed when they learn their new guitar isn't MIJ. It is confusing.

I don't know for sure if this correct but I have read that the few Burnys still MIJ are made by Tokai. If anyone has one and can post some cavity pics we could probably find out if that was true. I don't have one though from the past 20 years or so to say.

Roxy13

Reaction score
To make it worse, the Chinese and Japanese made Burnys over the past 20 years or so do look alike other than that FG serial number. They both use the 4mm bridge posts directly into the wood. They both use that large shovel shaped 3 screw truss rod cover. So other than the serial number there really is nothing else to tell them apart in photos.

BKS

Reaction score
Don't know about the chinese les pauls but i have a China (FG) build RFA-75 and it is a great guitar. I was put on the wrong foot by the fgserial too as was the seller. Found out pretty soon it was Chinese tho but as said it it a great guitar.... Wich ofcourse is no help at all haha

zeneffect

Reaction score
Isn't the scarf joint the giveaway for Chinese though?

I've always avoided Burny for this reason. Sometimes, it's just frigging hard to tell from pics.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I ordered those when I was a little kid back in the 70s but they didn't work worth a damn!

Kirk Dahnke

Reaction score
I just bought a Black Beauty for $635 and an SG Standard for $525 shipped from this seller. Fast free shipping and I love them. Both MIJ 90s Burnys. He's had this 90s Joe Perry for a long time. I bet you could offer him $100 less and he'd take it. A good seller to save anyway.

zombywoof

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just bought a Black Beauty for $635 and an SG Standard for $525 shipped from this seller. Fast free shipping and I love them. Both MIJ 90s Burnys. He's had this 90s Joe Perry for a long time. I bet you could offer him $100 less and he'd take it. A good seller to save anyway.

I agree, this is one of the better eBay sellers from Japan. Yuma in particular is great to deal with.
On the flip side......I once owned a Burny JP LP and did not really care for it at all.

squid8286

Reaction score
I passed on it. The guy selling it said he thought it was Chinese. I appreciate all of the input on these.

Kirk Dahnke

Reaction score
I passed on it. The guy selling it said he thought it was Chinese. I appreciate all of the input on these.

I think that's best. I have some Chinese guitars. A tele and a Firebird. Those are fine but there's something about a Les Paul that needs to be high quality to fully enjoy. I was fortunate to recently score a MIJ Burny Black LPC that's wonderful. $635 shipped. But without getting a deal like that I think I'd go for a used lower end Gibson. I have a lower end Gibson SG and it's fantastic. Even the higher end Epiphone LPs just don't do it for me.
It makes a difference. It really does.

Last edited:

BKS

Reaction score
Burny makes great guitars in China as does Epiphone and Gretsch etc etc.
China = bad.... That is the past. Not saying everything chinese is great but the real deal make good gear. Not everything is aliexpress.

BadMongo

Reaction score
I agree, this is one of the better eBay sellers from Japan. Yuma in particular is great to deal with.
On the flip side......I once owned a Burny JP LP and did not really care for it at all.
Yuma sold me my Burny, which was my first MIJ LP. Had a great experience with him and his packing is a work of art.

Latest Threads