Question about a Bacchus model

neojulio82

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm Julien from France. I like reading your threads and now I have a question about an opportunity to buy a Bacchus Classic Series.
I have not any details about invoice and date of purchase.
The Serial number gives an indication of a Craft model.
What do you think about this model ? BLS 59 ? What would be a good price for such a guitar in a second-hand market?
Thank you

Julien

d137b7f9ad4fd160fe74a8294801b90214681177.jpg

e420bcfd9323c8817d1b43b5c0523d442ed90523.jpg

023ea8fded0d44c51914b17293e36fa0502e6b7c.jpg

eborej

Reaction score
Here's a thread that might help you:

Also a listing with specs in the description for a similar looking Bacchus Classic BLS:

Last edited:

Zacknorton

Banned
Reaction score
at that price point there's NO chance it's made in Japan. possibly set up in Japan.

But just from the first glance it doesn't look like the nicer bacchus guitars. Doesn't mean it's not a good guitar... just not the same thing last the top line MIJ bacchus machines.

Roxy13

Reaction score
As far as I know the Craft Series are MIJ. However the top is likely a veneer instead of a solid flame top. I'm not sure on the finish, if it's a nitro top coat or full poly though.

neojulio82

Reaction score
Thank you for your quick answers.
"C-series" as serial number should indicate "HandCraft" so not full MIJ. If so, bodies and handles are handcrafted in the Philippines and then assembled at Aska in Japan. I'm not fully sure though
However I can't say it is a BLS or so.

zeneffect

Reaction score
Something about the serial number's font doesn't sit right with me for a MIJ guitar. Looking at the linked reverb ads, neither does the font on the warranty cards. Didn't Deviser have a serial number decoder thing?

neojulio82

Reaction score
Something about the serial number's font doesn't sit right with me for a MIJ guitar. Looking at the linked reverb ads, neither does the font on the warranty cards. Didn't Deviser have a serial number decoder thing?
Do you suspect a Fake ?

Roxy13

Reaction score
My Craft series guitar doesn't work in the serial decoder either.

But, I know a couple of years ago on the Deviser site it said the Craft series were MIJ. I had done some research on a guitar that interested me (I think it was a BLS 59FM, but it was 2 or 3 years ago).

GammyBird

Reaction score
Do you think it is not a flamed Maple? I thought all BLS 59 were FM...

Earlier Classic series were but not the later models. They started using veneer sometime in the past 2 or 3 years along with solid.

neojulio82

Reaction score
So to put in the nutshell, this Bacchus :
- is a quite recent Classic series (2 or 3 years old)
- belongs to the "Craft" series (CXXXXX serial number) so not fully handmade in japan but handcrafted in the Philippines and then assembled in Japan
- has not a full solid top (like older Classic series) but a laminated flame maple veneer top

So the guitar should be a BLS (59 ?) Handcraft LTD > 2018 ?
In a really good shape, this guitar should not exceed 850 $ in the second-hand market ?

Thx

GiddyHitch

Reaction score
So to put in the nutshell, this Bacchus :
- is a quite recent Classic series (2 or 3 years old)
- belongs to the "Craft" series (CXXXXX serial number) so not fully handmade in japan but handcrafted in the Philippines and then assembled in Japan

I don't necessarily agree with the first two points. Bacchus only made the Classic series for four-ish years (2010~2014) to my knowledge. I bought a low H-serial goldtop Classic in Jan 2011 and later picked up a C-serial oil finish Classic in 2014 when they were blowing them out and winding down production.

Here's something I copied down from another post: "The Classic Series LP's have H or M for a serial number prefix. H for standard, special and custom. The M was used for the standards with a mini-bucker. When they made LP's under the Craft series they changed the prefix to a C."

Everything I've seen indicates that the Craft series Classics are MIJ just like the earlier H-series Classics. There were different finish and pickup options available later, and the necks got thinner, but everything else stayed the same. On that note,

【SPEC】
BODY: MAPLE(TOP)/MAHOGANY2P(BACK)
NECK::MAHOGANY
FINGERBOARD: ROSEWOOD
TUNING KEY::GOTOH/SD90-SL
PICKUPS:Bacchus/BHV-A5(F).BHH(R)
BRIDGE&TAIL PIECE:ABR-1 Type+GOTOH GE101Z

"I'm so blown away by how the stock pickups sound, I asked about them. From Sho Hara at Deviser:

Pickups
Their pickups are not Yuta but made at the same factory as Yuta.
The pickups of BLP-STD-FM are the followings;

Neck pick up; BHV-A5n
features: alnico5, urerethan #42, 5300 turns, 8.5k ohm

Bridge pick up; BHHb
features: ferrite, urethan #43, the bobbin inside; 7300turns, the bobbin outside: 7200turns, 14.7k ohm"

Btw, I've never seen a Classic series Bacchus with that headstock shape. They've all been the G-style open book headstock. I own five myself and have probably seen listings for ten times as many.

neojulio82

Reaction score
It seems that recent Craft series BLS have all these muted openbook headstock :

"Classic series" is also still present on the headstock.

The main confusion to me, which is also well exploited by sellers, is the MIJ/not MIJ but above all the solid/laminated flame Maple top. And this is my point because prices on the second hand market range from 800$ to 1500$ for the same ref...

Eagle X

Reaction score
My BLP-STD-S (2012 classic series gold top p90 variant) has an open book headstock and a serial number starting with H. I'm not sure but I think yours looks more like a craft series.

neojulio82

Reaction score
There is no doubt this is a Craft as already said.
Remaining question is mainly about laminated veneer or solid ? and 59' neck profile
And finally price !

Latest Threads