Question about 3 pickup Les Pauls.

jcsk8

Reaction score
Usually the middle pickup it´s a "bridge" or a "neck one", regarding the output? I know that usually paf´s are made to turns, not to output, but in the end they usually placed the hotter in the bridge and the other in the neck position, but how about the middle ones?
The other question is it orientation. I see the pole pieces to the neck more often, but some are turned to the bridge. They came out the factory on both ways like that?

BadPenguin

Reaction score
Generally neck on the one Epiphone I own, and the 6 Gibson's I worked on. And yes, they came out both ways.

ARandall

Reaction score
Not one single vintage Gibson had any form of pickup calibration fullstop. It took until I think 72 or 73 with the Super humbucker (Tarbacks) before there was a position specific wind to a pickup set
Thats even discarding the complete fallacy of K = output.

In modern guitars with calibrated pickups they would typically stick a 'neck' pickup in the middle.

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Epiphone Bonamassa Black Beauty
Noted "GHBM" for middle, but the middle and neck are Probucker-2, bridge is a PB3

JB-Pickups.jpg

rykus

Reaction score
Pretty sure they just picked PAFs out of a box other than maybe the ones for the varitone 345/355 etc. That had a magnet flipped I think, and the narrow spaced jazz guitar pickups.

People would swap the stronger necks to bridge I heard but I've also heard of lots of higher dcr neck pickups from the factory.

Never checker the output on my custom but imo the middle is a bit hotter, doubt they even tested that then though.

Latest Threads