Question about 1998 Gibson Les Paul Neck Profile

Junnage

Reaction score
Hi all! As the title suggests, I have a 1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard that I am going to sell. However, the potential buyer was curious whether it was a 50s or 60s neck.

Upon doing a quick internet search, my impression was that the 50s and 60s neck profiles were introduced in 2002.

Would anyone be able to offer any insight what the neck profile it is (and if neither, which one it is more similar to).

Thanks MLP community :) :thumb:

stgreg

Reaction score
I have a '98 Standard also, and asked the same question on this forum, recently. Was told it has a '59 neck. As opposed to a "late 50's" fat, or 60's slim.

tzd

Reaction score
Upon doing a quick internet search, my impression was that the 50s and 60s neck profiles were introduced in 2002.

My hunch is that the 50s neck profile was introduced in the 1950s, and the 60s neck profile was introduced in the 1960s :thumb:

More seriously, a 50s neck profile feels rounded at the back and does not taper down as it goes towards the heel of the neck.

The 60s neck profile is noticeably flat at the back of the neck and is likely to taper down to become flatter near the heel of the neck.

Left Paw

Reaction score
I think it is a 90s Standard neck. Really, the whole neck carve thing came from differences in the 58, 59, 60 Historic line. Before that, it was Gibson's current neck carve for the time. I always found 90s Standards to have a nice middle-of-the-road feel.

noodlesatf

Reaction score
My hunch is that the 50s neck profile was introduced in the 1950s, and the 60s neck profile was introduced in the 1960s :thumb:

More seriously, a 50s neck profile feels rounded at the back and does not taper down as it goes towards the heel of the neck.

The 60s neck profile is noticeably flat at the back of the neck and is likely to taper down to become flatter near the heel of the neck.

It's a little more complicated than that, actually. If you leave out the historic and custom shop guitars, three profiles are the most common: '59 neck, '60s neck, and '60s slim taper.

The '59 neck is a big round C, but not in the baseball bat territory of an R9, R8, R7, etc. This is the neck we saw on Les Paul Standards and Customs for years. Most of the import Schecters have a similar neck profile. It's what's on my '92 Standard, and what you now mainly find on Traditionals.

The '60s neck is also a round C, but nowhere near as thick as a '59 neck. This is what you typically find on Studios. I tend to think of it as a slimmed down modern version of the '59 neck, and it is why a lot of the modern players gravitate to it. ESP/LTD have a very similar neck profile. My '14 Studio has this profile.

The '60s slim taper is as you described, with more of a D shape that tapers towards the heel. This has always been the reason to buy a Classic, since it was extremely rare to find another production model Les Paul with this neck. Metal guys love this neck, since it is similar to Jackson and Ibanez. My '14 Classic 7-string has this profile, and I pretty much think it is one of best playing 7-string necks I've ever touched.

Once you get into the historics, you get into the realm of the baseball bats. I've played a few R8s and R9s, and find them all but unusable, since my hands are just too small to ever get comfortable on such a fat neck. The exception are the R0 and G0, which have the same 60s slim taper as the Classic. My buddy's G0 is the only historic I've ever played that really made me GAS.

Junnage

Reaction score
Hi all! Thanks for your informative responses! :thumb:

I contacted Gibson Customer Service and they told me that the neck profile used was a "rounded neck profile" which is the one they used on nearly all Les Pauls until 2002!

They also told me it did not really matter to customers until the last few years :p

Once again, thanks for all the help guys :)

noodlesatf

Reaction score
They also told me it did not really matter to customers until the last few years.

That just proves how out of touch they are. As far back as the mid 90s, I remember guys wanting to buy Classics to get the thinner neck.

Latest Threads