Question about 1978 tokai ls80 bridge size

archey

Reaction score
Do you all know if I need to replace the bridge with metric or not? I'm wanting to get a Faber bridge for it. Thanks!

Roxy13

Reaction score
Faber makes bridges for our MIJ guitars with M4 posts. They call it the ABRM.

However, if you decide on the Tone Lock version the posts have to be M4 x 0.7 thread. I think your Tokai has those but I've had a few guitars that turned out to have M4 x 0.4 instead (Bacchus guitars do and so did my 77 Burny. It's easily fixed by replacing the posts with ones with the 0.7 thread, which you can get at Philly Luthier or StewMac).

archey

Reaction score
Faber makes bridges for our MIJ guitars with M4 posts. They call it the ABRM.

However, if you decide on the Tone Lock version the posts have to be M4 x 0.7 thread. I think your Tokai has those but I've had a few guitars that turned out to have M4 x 0.4 instead (Bacchus guitars do and so did my 77 Burny. It's easily fixed by replacing the posts with ones with the 0.7 thread, which you can get at Philly Luthier or StewMac).
Thanks, Roxy!

Roxy13

Reaction score
Faber also has M4 x 0.7 posts and thumbwheels. They are more expensive than the ones the other places sell but no doubt good quality.

frehley76

Reaction score
Faber also has M4 x 0.7 posts and thumbwheels. They are more expensive than the ones the other places sell but no doubt good quality.

Don't the Tokais have those weird posts that screw in like a wood screw?

Roxy13

Reaction score
Don't the Tokais have those weird posts that screw in like a wood screw?

It won't matter for the ABRM bridge because it's still M4.

It might matter if you want the locking bridge as it has these little caps that screw onto the threads. If the threading is a different size then you would have to replace the posts for it to work. I haven't put a locking bridge on one of the older Tokais so I'm not sure what threading they use.

The only reason I know my 77 Burny and the Bacchus models have the different threading is because I bought them locking Faber bridges and found out lol. I just took my old posts out then and put new ones with the 0.7 threading in and everything was good.

frehley76

Reaction score
I think the vintage Tokais have a wood screw type that has a different thread than the regular posts. I saw it on the Tokai forum. I think I will leave mine be LOL.
tok[p.PNG

Roxy13

Reaction score
I think the vintage Tokais have a wood screw type that has a different thread than the regular posts. I saw it on the Tokai forum. I think I will leave mine be LOL.
View attachment 627421

Yeah, but it's the threads at the top that are going to matter, not the part going into the body. I can't tell by looking at it if they are the 0.7 threading but they do look courser so I think they are.

frehley76

Reaction score
Yeah, but it's the threads at the top that are going to matter, not the part going into the body. I can't tell by looking at it if they are the 0.7 threading but they do look courser so I think they are.
Yeah, the Faber stuff fits no problem, I was wanting to change the threaded studs, I think that would be opening a can of worms lol.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Yeah, the Faber stuff fits no problem, I was wanting to change the threaded studs, I think that would be opening a can of worms lol.

If they are still straight and not rusty, might as well leave them. If they aren't though it probably wouldn't be a problem to change them. Worst case scenario is that you might have to use like an M4 x 0.7 tap in the maple cap. It won't be needed in the mahogany though.

Since the new posts would have a finer threading than that wood screw part I don't see a problem with having loose or wobbly posts.

frehley76

Reaction score
If they are still straight and not rusty, might as well leave them. If they aren't though it probably wouldn't be a problem to change them. Worst case scenario is that you might have to use like an M4 x 0.7 tap in the maple cap. It won't be needed in the mahogany though.

Since the new posts would have a finer threading than that wood screw part I don't see a problem with having loose or wobbly posts.
I was thinking of doing the mapleleaf mod or whatever his screen name was. The longer studs, but maybe not lol.

Puck Luck

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just tried threading a thumbwheel from my 80 LS80 onto a 97 bacchus and no problems so it's most likely the same thread.

frehley76

Reaction score
I have the raw brass saddle Faber on all my Tokais, well I am waiting for one I ordered for the new one now.

Latest Threads