Quality Control Issues with 2018 LPs?

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Guys I've been wondering what happens with guitars that fail QC at the factory?
Bandsaw. But i think it has to be a major fail. Poorly set or warped necks, truss rod fails, incorrect routes, joint separations, and major finish issues. Slight finish flaws and electronic issues are repairable but often missed or dare i say, ignored......

Frogfur

Reaction score
First mistake you made was going to GC.
Second mistake was listening to anybody there. They don't hire people for their expertise, they hire them because they will work for that amount of pay. Stupidest place on earth.

If you would have searched the site first, you would have found 45,000 posts with the same bitch. Who cares what they do anymore.
Silly stuff..

yamariv

Reaction score
I have seen four incidents of bad, broken and unplayable 2018 Les Paul guitars being shipped to customers. One from sam ash with a broken headstock which was then replaced with a guitar with a bad fret job. A guitar from another big retailer that had a space between the binding and the neck and finally a fourth guitar that after 3 days in his bedroom closet was removed from the hardcase to reveal a broken headstock. Gibson is now in 540 million dollars of debt between their many guitar companies and other debts like their stock in Onkyo electronics. The problems with being harassed by Obama and new wood laws as well as a down economy might finish them. If I buy another single cut I will buy a Heritage. I have a large guitar collection but only 6 Les Pauls. YES there is something about them that makes me choose them over any woman but I would buy a vintage or a historical unit. They are perfect, I would also look for a vintage Epiphone I have a 1990 which is amazing and don't forget Dillion, they make a jimmy page copy that is worth at least twice what they are charging. My Luthier was amazed!!!
My 2015 Junior's finish and overall QC was perfect, beautifully done guitar.

As for Gibson bashing, why bother, just quit buying them and go find another forum to complain. I highly doubt Gibson shipped 2 - 2018 LP's with broken headstocks c'mon!....My investigative skills tell me that might have been the shipping company no..?? :io:

nicholas322

Reaction score
My 2015 Junior's finish and overall QC was perfect, beautifully done guitar.

As for Gibson bashing, why bother, just quit buying them and go find another forum to complain. I highly doubt Gibson shipped 2 - 2018 LP's with broken headstocks c'mon!....My investigative skills tell me that might have been the shipping company no..?? :io:
We are only talking about 2018 guitars!!! Gibson leather jackets are being to Gibson owners who are not satisfied and have a legitimate problem if they will keep their guitars. It's not a shipping problem. They are right in their case. Please reread my post.

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
It's not a shipping problem. They are right in their case.
??? I've seen an huge number of Les Paul with a broken headstock because case has been dropped (or the box containing the guitar in its case). It's probably the typical cause for a broken headstock.

Also I can't see the logic behind Gibson shipping guitars with a broken headstock since this is one of the conditions that does require a totally refund and/or a new guitar.

Sorry maybe I'm missing something fundamental in your logic.

vintageguitarz

Reaction score
Not trying to rain on anyone's parade here, but got some info today that I thought I'd share and ask the MLP community for your thoughts.

I was in my local GC to check out the 2018s and an employee there shared with me that they've been finding the 2018s are having quality control issues. Said it was reminiscent of 2015 or worse and has made it hard to sell the new LPs right now. If that's true it's really a shame because my 2017 is perfect and it seems Gibson was on the upswing!
Not trying to rain on anyone's parade .... but in my 25+ years of experience with various Guitar Center's in several states, especially California, I'd take anything a "salesman" there has to say with LESS than a grain of salt.

I've been called in to "save the day" fixing messes even their in-house guitar "techs" or "luthier" have made of Customers guitars, basses and amps. Let's just say that GC doesn't pay well and "commissioned" staff is not the cream of the crop. You get what you pay for.

In regards to 2018 Gibson's, I haven't worked on one yet, however if there is "word" is going around of some quality issues, I'd more likely suspect a line or two of Gibson's "imported" models; unlikely the Nashville products.

vechap

Reaction score
I recently purchased 2015's when Sam Ash blew them out.
I got a 2015 Les Paul Less+ and a 2015 Les Paul Special Doublecut with P-90's.
Both excellent guitars, the only quality issue being the soft brass nut, which Gibson replaced with the titanium version within a week of my call to them.
I replaced the Gforce tuners with Grovers, not because of quality but because they are too much of a hassle to use. But they worked fine. I don't use many alternate tunings and I like tuning it myself.
The fit and finish is on a par with the best I have owned.
I love the zero fret. Every guitar should have one.
The electronics and pickups are top notch on both. Both came with the new gold hardshell cases. They do the job.
I got used to the wide necks in no time, and love the feel and playability.
I don't like the hologram or the Les Paul signature, but that has nothing to do with QC. Just poor judgment on Gibson's part.
The price was right, and I feel like I got a great deal on both. I actually wish I had pulled the trigger on a Junior also. But they sold out pretty fast.
Absolutely... I have a 2015 Classic... Love it... Soft brass nut replaced by Gibson for free. No problems other than that. I personally love a wider neck. I find the quality quite good. As many have stated, it is mostly a personal preference on some of the 2015 offerings. If you don't like the specs... Don't buy it, but don't bash the QC because there is nothing wrong with!

HearHear

Reaction score
I imagine 50 years from now, when Les Paul's are probably mass produced on some Chinese 3D printer, people will reminisce about the superior high quality Les Paul's they used to make in 2018.

If electronics are bad, Gibson should correct the defect. But if "quality control" means that every Les Paul is identical and perfect with no flaws, no one would want one.

That said, to avoid getting a defective guitar, purchase through Sweetwater or some other company that thoroughly tests it before shipment. (I'm not connected to them in any way but was impressed with their service). I know that Sweetwarer rejects Gibson guitars with inferior quality or defects. When I was waiting to buy my 2017 Standard from Sweetwater, I waited quite a while in part because I wanted a certain flame pattern, but also because Sweetwater rejects inferior guitars they receive from Gibson. I like that someone besides Gibson looks over the guitar before it gets to me.

wolflen

Reaction score
couple of things this topic brought to mind..quality control..employee knowledge of products..

in 2007 I began shopping for a LP classic antique that was a special model in 06--I wanted the wine red..turned out GC had ONE..so I took a chance and bought it online..to my surprise it came in unharmed and after inspection unblemished..I had my local shop do a pro setup and its been my goto for all these years..yes I was lucky..after reading many horror stories..

Last year I thought I would buy the new fender telecaster elite..again I bought it online..and had it delivered to my local GC..ok..I helped the employee get it out of the shipping case..it looked wonderful..plugged it in...ahhh..no sound..had the manager verify it was the guitar and not the amp or other reasons--manager ordered another guitar direct from fender..it came in..looked wonderful..no sound..now this is fenders TOP new telecaster model 2k + tax
I accepted my refund and am still looking for a working model..btw..in doing research I found several other folks with the same problem with that model..I was not disappointed when I contacted fender direct and received a "we are sorry to hear..we will let out tech dept know.." reply..so much for customer care..

I want quality products..well..to be quality..my money sure is

as mentioned GC dosent give their employees much-if any- product training so it is not unusual to know more about any given product than the employee..

I spent the better part of a year doing research, product reviews etc before I purchased a new BMW coupe..I remember correcting the salesperson several times before I told her in a very nice way..lets just order the car I know what the features do and their costs..

so now we hear Gibson as well as Fender are having $$ problems...I think it is more money management than lack of money..

redcoats1976

Reaction score
actually my 2015 is a little better in terms of playability than my 2017.it came with gibby deluxe tuners and i sent to gibson for the titanium nut.like the wide neck,the only thing i can say i dont like is the death scrawl on the headstock.cant see it while im playing though.

nadzab

Reaction score
I have seen four incidents of bad, broken and unplayable 2018 Les Paul guitars being shipped to customers. One from sam ash with a broken headstock which was then replaced with a guitar with a bad fret job. A guitar from another big retailer that had a space between the binding and the neck and finally a fourth guitar that after 3 days in his bedroom closet was removed from the hardcase to reveal a broken headstock. Gibson is now in 540 million dollars of debt between their many guitar companies and other debts like their stock in Onkyo electronics. The problems with being harassed by Obama and new wood laws as well as a down economy might finish them. If I buy another single cut I will buy a Heritage. I have a large guitar collection but only 6 Les Pauls. YES there is something about them that makes me choose them over any woman but I would buy a vintage or a historical unit. They are perfect, I would also look for a vintage Epiphone I have a 1990 which is amazing and don't forget Dillion, they make a jimmy page copy that is worth at least twice what they are charging. My Luthier was amazed!!!
You would choose a Les Paul over any woman?

I mean, I love Les Pauls, but...

Woodekm

Reaction score
Waaay to many used Les Pauls out there that need a home for 1/2 (or more) the price of new. Just have to be patient and know what your getting.

Korinabill

Reaction score
I didn't realize that GC was allowed to be a Gibson dealer again. When did they get those priviliages back?

Aundrey

Reaction score
I mean, I got my 2018 Traditional today (Via FedEx) and it's absolutely flawless. Not one scratch and the thing screams. I know it wasn't cheap, but the way this thing looks and plays, I feel like I got a steal.

GibsonKramer

The Three G's
Premium Member
Reaction score
Funny, because I spent an afternoon in GC playing the new lower priced Gibsons. Especially that sweet new SG, with the mini humbuckers.

Myself, and a friend were commenting how nice they are. Both of us were equally impressed with the new gig bag/case.

Seems like every year, we get a thread, "QC problems at Gibson." Yet, I still keep getting nice guitars.

Have a '18 Pelham Blue Classic on order, right now.

brianbzed

Reaction score
Not trying to rain on anyone's parade here, but got some info today that I thought I'd share and ask the MLP community for your thoughts.

I was in my local GC to check out the 2018s and an employee there shared with me that they've been finding the 2018s are having quality control issues. Said it was reminiscent of 2015 or worse and has made it hard to sell the new LPs right now. If that's true it's really a shame because my 2017 is perfect and it seems Gibson was on the upswing!

This is just one guy's opinion and who knows if he's right. I know any given year is gonna have some great ones and some duds so I take what he said with a grain of salt. However I just bought a 2017 Standard from him a month ago so he knows he's not gonna lose a sale by telling me this.

All this aside, the 2018 Standard and Classic tops I saw are beautiful! And the two guitars I played looked to be of good quality all around. High actions as usual, but straight necks, clean binding, nice fret boards etc.
It's the Bell Curve Theory, yet again......anything that is mass produced will have a few absolute sh*tters, most in the average quality range, and a few superior ones...(hence the shape of a bell on your graph!). Gibson's QC pattern mimics this theory,IMHO! Ya got play more than a few to find a Killer!