Q pickup paf’s, any one tried a set?

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seem to hit the specs desired, have a set inbound, full fat cream, no covers. Will keep y’all informed. Part of my slowly collecting bits for my first build, it’s getting expensive.

BKS

Reaction score
Never tried but been reading more about them. If i ever want to try other pickups in my nrfb i going for Q pickups too i think. Read a lot of good feedback and they look good value for money.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll let you know what they sound like compared to my wizz and my unpotted custom buckers. If they are close enough I will order another 2 sets.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
They arrived, fitting today, measured dc resistance, because it’s the only thing I can lol. Bridge is 7.3 and the neck is interesting indeed, at 6.9. I read recently that the original paf’s are sometimes lower than modern paf clones, but this is lower than any reading I have read about, so curious as to how they sound.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I fitted them and had a quick play yesterday. The specs are A4 roughcast mags. The individual bobbin winds are deliberately mismatched. What first struck me was they are louder than the wizz beano bridge (8.0/.2) previously installed, but the bridge Q measures 7.3, which I guess evidences what cooljuk has educated us on. Played clean they are nice and clear, the high freqs are much smoother sounding than the beano, which with poor technique get a bit 'shrieky', which happens a lot when I play. but high gain not such a good story. very muddled sounding, will spend some time messing with pickup/pole heights. The beano scores best for high gain, really smooth creamy high freqs. They just sound right. When I picked up my R9 to play straight after, there was a stark contrast, the unpotted custom buckers sounded way more fuller, and a lot less bright. I never noticed such a marked difference when switching between those two guitars previously when the beanos were in the R0 and custom buckers in the R9. so will report back in a week. The colour of the bobbins is very close to the gibson rings, which many feel have to much tint. A few pics:

C237BF06-481B-4F94-A50B-7E68AC58915D.jpeg
5026EAF1-55BD-4DDB-B076-2DF351D781AE.jpeg
460F25A2-0DC7-44FA-8737-D4E6D878A774.jpeg

Latest Threads