Putting Together a Serious Pedalboard

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve never had what one would call a legit pedalboard. Since I’m strictly a hobbyist, I never felt I deserved a lavish board with all the stuff I might want to play the stuff I liked.

Guitar playing is my only real hobby. I do love building pedals but that’s included within my guitar hobby in my opinion. So I’ve decided to put together a real pedal board, on that has devices to help me capture all the tones of the songs and artists I like playing.

A few design constraints:

1.) I’d like to use my existing power supply which means I’d probably have to limit to < 10 pedals but more like 8 because that’s how many 9vDC outputs I have. This helps because:

2.) I’d like to incorporate an 8 loop switcher/patcher

3.) I have no real design constraint on size because my plan is to simply use an inverted oak stair step with nose.once laid out, I’ll remove a few channels across the entire surface for hiding cables underneath, etc. and I can cut it to size width wise.

I’ve settled on the following devices, some of which I currently already have and some of which I’ll source in the coming weeks and months:

Pedal Tuner (undecided as of yet)
Modified Dunlop Wah (Pedal PCB Tearjerker with Chase Tone TruTalk pot, Sabbaddius Halo inductor, etc.)
Modified NYC reissue BMP (Modified to Ram’s Head Specs with NOS Amperex transistors by me)
Silicon Fuzz Face (My own board and circuit tweaks with NOS Amperex transistors)
Tonebender MK II/Supa (My own board and circuit tweaks with NOS General Electric 2N169 transistors)
Boss SD-1
Electro Harmonix Good Vibes w/ Electro Harmonix Expression Pedal
Carl Martin Surf Trem
TC Electronic Drip Spring Reverb
Aion FX Ares (Echoplex Preamp Clone built by me)
Strymon Timeline

Since most of the switchers I’ve seen have a tuner input, that leaves 9 effects and 8 slots, but I only plan on using the Echoplex Preamp to goose the tape models on the Strymon so that will be in the loop at all times with the delay.

Wish me luck and be on the lookout for some pedals I’m building in the classified section to help fun this!

redking

Reaction score
Although I don't have one (yet) I'm a fan of the Gig Rig Quartermaster switchers. They have a "flip flop" switch that you can engage on each channel so that when you step on one, all other switches that are set to flip flop turn off - this could be handy for going from gain stage to gain stage if you don't like to stack gain pedals. The switches are also of the soft click variety.

As far as tuners go - Peterson Strobostomp HD is the only way to go in my opinion. Since I got mine, I can't even use another tuner - it's so much more accurate and permits you to use pre-programmed sweetened tunings.

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Although I don't have one (yet) I'm a fan of the Gig Rig Quartermaster switchers. They have a "flip flop" switch that you can engage on each channel so that when you step on one, all other switches that are set to flip flop turn off - this could be handy for going from gain stage to gain stage if you don't like to stack gain pedals. The switches are also of the soft click variety.

As far as tuners go - Peterson Strobostomp HD is the only way to go in my opinion. Since I got mine, I can't even use another tuner - it's so much more accurate and permits you to use pre-programmed sweetened tunings.
Thanks for the heads up0 on the tuner. I'm thinking I may just save up for a Carl Martin Octaswitch. It's expensive but the documentation is good and it is much more user friendly and simple to understand the patch system.

redking

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up0 on the tuner. I'm thinking I may just save up for a Carl Martin Octaswitch. It's expensive but the documentation is good and it is much more user friendly and simple to understand the patch system.
The Gigrig Quartermaster is their simple version of a switcher, not like the programmable G2 and G3

1625772002709.png

redking

Reaction score
I would need a seriously big board. I have 3 or 4 more since this photo.

View attachment 548399
At one time I thought I would build a huge board with most of my pedals on it, but I have decided to go another way because I have different uses in mind and also too many pedals now to do that! Instead, I'm gonna build 3 boards for different purposes:
1. Pedaltrain Nano board with just a few pedals on it, all powered by battery to just pick up and take to jams / rehearsals, etc. The focus here is mostly on gain staging and I'm building it for use with the particular amps and guitars that I would be taking out and I don't want to have to plug it in to a wall outlet.
2. Pedaltrain Classic with ~ 8 pedals on it, powered by an isolated power supply - this will basically be my "blues rock" board built with pedals that work with either my Traynor YBA-1 (basically a JTM-45 circuit) or my Garnet Sessionman (basically a Blackface circuit). It will have gain stages that I know work with those amps and any guitar I would want to use plus I'll have my Fulltone Deja Vibe and Analog Delay.
3. Big Ass Pedaltrain with loop switcher - this would have ~ 12 pedals on it with an isolated power supply and I would basically put "everything else" on this board and it would allow me to experiment and mess around with sounds. Still have a bunch of gain stages for this board, but also here is where the Whammy and POG and digital delay and Chorus and Dimension C and all that shit will go. I haven't totally figured out how I would organize the switcher, but there are certain unique sounds I might put into their own loops such as a POG hitting a Big Muff, or a chorus into distortion, or whatever I come up with.
I'm nowhere near having any of this together yet even though I have most of what I need on hand - I just need the time to sit down and figure it out, starting with the Nano.

JMP

Reaction score
I like the idea of multiple boards. Seems to be a better and more flexible solution VS one massive and complicated board.

PRSWILL

Reaction score
Consider wiring it so your time based effects go thru the pre-send / return on the amp. Generally they sound better that in line pre input

captdan61

Reaction score
At one time I thought I would build a huge board with most of my pedals on it, but I have decided to go another way because I have different uses in mind and also too many pedals now to do that! Instead, I'm gonna build 3 boards for different purposes:
1. Pedaltrain Nano board with just a few pedals on it, all powered by battery to just pick up and take to jams / rehearsals, etc. The focus here is mostly on gain staging and I'm building it for use with the particular amps and guitars that I would be taking out and I don't want to have to plug it in to a wall outlet.
2. Pedaltrain Classic with ~ 8 pedals on it, powered by an isolated power supply - this will basically be my "blues rock" board built with pedals that work with either my Traynor YBA-1 (basically a JTM-45 circuit) or my Garnet Sessionman (basically a Blackface circuit). It will have gain stages that I know work with those amps and any guitar I would want to use plus I'll have my Fulltone Deja Vibe and Analog Delay.
3. Big Ass Pedaltrain with loop switcher - this would have ~ 12 pedals on it with an isolated power supply and I would basically put "everything else" on this board and it would allow me to experiment and mess around with sounds. Still have a bunch of gain stages for this board, but also here is where the Whammy and POG and digital delay and Chorus and Dimension C and all that shit will go. I haven't totally figured out how I would organize the switcher, but there are certain unique sounds I might put into their own loops such as a POG hitting a Big Muff, or a chorus into distortion, or whatever I come up with.
I'm nowhere near having any of this together yet even though I have most of what I need on hand - I just need the time to sit down and figure it out, starting with the Nano.
Joyo makes a rechargable power supply for pedals. I have been using one over two years on first on my main board. And these days small trio shows on a smaller board. No issues at all.

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Consider wiring it so your time based effects go thru the pre-send / return on the amp. Generally they sound better that in line pre input
I'm using a Single Ended EL84 based amp. No effects loop, but then again, there isn't much preamp gain to worry about.

zdoggie

Reaction score
I don't use a pedal board, I used to use 2290, and a n eventide delay both rack mount ,a few years back some of the better players in guitar player mag had huge critisim for out board effects dont remember who it was , so I thought it would be a better thing if I just used my amp with its digital reverb its a fuchs ODSII super amp I've been without any processing i'mused to it , I've learned you have to work harder to achieve what your after.

zdog

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't use a pedal board, I used to use 2290, and a n eventide delay both rack mount ,a few years back some of the better players in guitar player mag had huge critisim for out board effects dont remember who it was , so I thought it would be a better thing if I just used my amp with its digital reverb its a fuchs ODSII super amp I've been without any processing i'mused to it , I've learned you have to work harder to achieve what your after.

zdog
I hear you.

I’m a bedroom hobbyist though. A medium size pedalboard with some essential effects is more fun.

marksoundguitars

Chief Paint Sniffer
Reaction score
Well if you're really serious, you're definitely gonna need a Grumpy Cat sticker. :cool2:

il_570xN.987219609_ivrd[1].jpg

Neffco

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just be careful or you end up like this. Notice how the beer holder is strategically placed past the edge of the board. I’m thinking of adding another shelf for my quilter amp, lol.
55BE80D7-CF2A-48C3-9743-98496D54E247.jpeg

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went on a tear this past week. Finally bought all the parts to put together the fuzzes I’ve been breadboarding for months now, bought a Strymon El Capistan, Strymon Flint, and a Script Phase 90 with LED that I’m going to add a DC jack to.

My board is essentially stocked now.

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the Mk. II board. I had to make it narrower and longer:

667D197D-8BB8-47A7-8401-1AC7AFBD7C74.jpeg

It has enough space for my 6 builds in the hopper, the Mooer Elec Lady and a compressor. Power is supplied by two Otraki 10 output power supplies.

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, the new board is perfect size. I start building some fuzzers this week and i have a few extra units coming in via Reverb. Ended up picking up a cheap little 6 band EQ to play with, a Mooer Elec Lady to round out my modulation and a Vick Audio Overdriver.

Rough draft signal chain is as follows:

Modtone Tuner
Pedal PCB Tearjerker Wah
Electro Harmonix Good Vibes with Expression (for Speed)
MXR Custom Shop Script Phase 90
Mooer Elec Lady Flanger
Vick Audio Overdriver
Pedal PCB Muffin (Violet Ram's Head BMP with Mid Switch)
Germanium Fuzz Face (My Own DIY unit with my Custom Board)
Silicon Fuzz Face (My Own DIY unit with my Custom Board)
Tonebender MK II/Supafuzz (My Own DIY unit with my Custom Board)
Strymon Flint
Valeton Coral Echo
Aion Fx Ares (Clinch Fx EP Pre clone - for goosing the Strymon El Capistan)
Strymon El Capistan
Joyo 6 Band EQ
Pure Tone Buffer

Latest Threads