Putting Junior to the Test

Dilver

Reaction score
I‘ve always wondered if I could play a whole set/gig with just my Junior, so this coming weekend, I’ll be putting it to the test. I’ll be playing punk originals in a guitar + drums duo, and then playing classic rock covers with a full band situation. All outside.

Anyone else gig with a Junior? Wish me luck!

C8121E19-A32F-47EA-826A-D9F37D48BDC4.jpeg

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would have no problem at all gigging with my junior. The church thing and some jam sessions I do have proven that to me. It is a very versatile guitar to be so simple. Be ready to work the tone and volume controls

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
I‘ve always wondered if I could play a whole set/gig with just my Junior, so this coming weekend, I’ll be putting it to the test. I’ll be playing punk originals in a guitar + drums duo, and then playing classic rock covers with a full band situation. All outside.

View attachment 619175
Beautiful!
But this Baby needs to be scratched and beaten up!

:thumb:

InTheEvening

Reaction score
I don’t gig but would be happy to take my junior as my main axe to one. The single pickup covers a lot of ground with just the tone and volume knobs and how you’re playing.

I actually did a test with mine recently in this vid, where I tried to get a variety of different tones from just tweaking the guitar knobs and adjusting my playing and looping a song with that. I’ve figured out some more new sounds since making this. Juniors can do a lot.

mjross

Reaction score
I’ve never played a Jr. until just a day or two ago! It’s a long story but I ended up purchasing a very nice 2006 VOS Les Paul Jr. Reissue unintentionally (yap, unintentional) at a recent collector guitar auction. So, after jumping through several hoops paying fees etc, I finally received the guitar a couple days ago.

Here‘s the problem, I’m a lefty and the guitar is a single cut righty! I play lefty strung righty so I have many right handed guitars I play upside down, but they are double cuts and I can access the higher registers. With a right handed single cut, I can not get very high on the neck.

Nonetheless, I unboxed and pulled the Jr. out of the case, tuned it up and gave it a spin. Love the chunky neck by the way, just feels right. Damn, there IS something special about these guitars! In my 55 years of gigging I’ve never though seriously about owning a Jr. but know a few collectors that covet them in their collections. Yeah, I get it now! As for gigging with a Jr., HELL YEAH…

I REALLY dig the sound that this single pickup wonder produces. You would not expect this VERY simple guitar to sound so good, it’s a mystery! My problem now is letting this little wonder go! Based on the limited higher register access, I’m going to have to sell it but with great reluctance! Just wish Gibson made the Jr. Reissue in a lefty these days. However, If you are a righty looking for a Jr. Reissue, boy do I have a nice one!

Strange thing about the description from the auction, never heard of this model Les Paul Jr. and the the connection with former guitarist (Bruce Kulick) from KISS, interesting! If anyone has any additional information in regard to such guitar and KISS guitarist Bruce Kulick, please share.

Here’s the description from the auction:

GIBSON LES PAUL JR LPJRSC VOS CUSTOM 6 STRING ELECTRIC GUITAR WITH WOOD NECK, BLACK / YELLOW FINISH. HARD TRANSPORT CASE & PAPERWORK *LIMITED EDITION RELEASE BRUCE KULICK GUITAR* (FORMER LEAD GUITAR FOR KISS )

Here’s a pic, Bruce Kulick obviously use to play a Jr. at some point in his career!

1656967630622.jpeg

Last edited:

InTheEvening

Reaction score
I’ve never played a Jr. until just a day or two ago! It’s a long story but I ended up purchasing a very nice 2006 VOS Les Paul Jr. Reissue unintentionally (yap, unintentional) at a recent collector guitar auction. So, after jumping through several hoops paying fees etc, I finally received the guitar a couple days ago.

Here‘s the problem, I’m a lefty and the guitar is a single cut righty! I play lefty strung righty so I have many right handed guitars I play upside down, but they are double cuts and I can access the higher registers. With a right handed single cut, I can not get very high on the neck.

Nonetheless, I unboxed and pulled the Jr. out of the case, tuned it up and gave it a spin. Love the chunky neck, just feels right. Damn, there IS something special about these guitars! In my 55 years of gigging I’ve never though seriously about owning a Jr. but know a few collectors that covet them in their collections. Yeah, I get it now! As for gigging with a Jr., HELL YEAH…

I REALLY dig the sound that this single pickup wonder produces. You would not expect this VERY simple guitar to sound so good, it’s a mystery! My problem now is letting this little wonder go! Based on the limited higher register access, I’m going to have to sell it but with great reluctance! Just wish Gibson made the Jr. Reissue in a lefty. If you are a righty looking for a Jr. Reissue, boy do I have a nice one!

Strange thing about the description from the auction, never heard of this in regard to a Les Paul Jr. and a former guitarist from KISS, interesting! If anyone has any additional information in regard to KISS, please share. Here’s the description from the auction:

View attachment 619254
A DC Junior reissue may be in your future. :dude:
33-D3-A723-716-D-4650-874-E-85-F147-C36-BA6.jpg

mjross

Reaction score

View attachment 619175
These are REALLY cool guitars, never would have imagined it until I played one! Is yours a Reissue?

John Vasco

I'm with the band
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Nonetheless, I unboxed and pulled the Jr. out of the case, tuned it up and gave it a spin. Love the chunky neck by the way, just feels right. Damn, there IS something special about these guitars! In my 55 years of gigging I’ve never though seriously about owning a Jr. but know a few collectors that covet them in their collections. Yeah, I get it now! As for gigging with a Jr., HELL YEAH…

I REALLY dig the sound that this single pickup wonder produces. You would not expect this VERY simple guitar to sound so good, it’s a mystery! My problem now is letting this little wonder go! Based on the limited higher register access, I’m going to have to sell it but with great reluctance! Just wish Gibson made the Jr. Reissue in a lefty. If you are a righty looking for a Jr. Reissue, boy do I have a nice one!

Strange thing about the description from the auction, never heard of this model Les Paul Jr. and a former guitarist (Bruce Kulick) from KISS, interesting! If anyone has any additional information in regard to such guitar and KISS, please share. Here’s the description from the auction:

GIBSON LES PAUL JR LPJRSC VOS CUSTOM 6 STRING ELECTRIC GUITAR WITH WOOD NECK, BLACK / YELLOW FINISH. HARD TRANSPORT CASE & PAPERWORK *LIMITED EDITION RELEASE BRUCE KULICK GUITAR* (FORMER LEAD GUITAR FOR KISS )

Here’s a pic, Bruce Kulick obviously use to play a Jr. at some point in his career!

View attachment 619268
Eat yer heart out,mj! Here's my Junior. 2009 Custom Shop '57 VOS LP Junior.

DSCN0967.JPG

And gigging with it.

untitled-72a.jpg

Shaddingfield Fox-21a_preview.jpg

Barrie the Banjocaster is wishing he had one! :dude:

mjross

Reaction score
Last edited:

Dilver

Reaction score
These are REALLY cool guitars, never would have imagined it until I played one! Is yours a Reissue?
My Junior is a 2018 Junior LE (”Limited Edition”), one of the weird ones with the script Gibson logo. I think Gibson was testing the waters with these guitars to gauge purchase interest. Since these were made right when Gibson was announcing leadership changes and “Gibson is back”, I tend to think Gibson made a point of making these Juniors the best they could make them. As soon as I saw the specs, especially the tilted wraptail, thicker neck, “neck shelf” and the proper color, I had to have one. Everyone scoffed at the +$1,200 price and said they’d be blowing these out at a discount by end of year. Never happened and Gibson re-released the new USA line Juniors in 2019 and they sold like crazy.

I always wanted a Junior but hated the straight lightening bar bridge, skinny neck, lack of neck shelf, and the “natural burst“ color of the USA line Juniors and didn’t want to spend Custom Shop dollars for a proper Junior. Is the Bruce Kulick Junior a Custom Shop model?

mjross

Reaction score
My Junior is a 2018 Junior LE (”Limited Edition”), one of the weird ones with the script Gibson logo. I think Gibson was testing the waters with these guitars to gauge purchase interest. Since these were made right when Gibson was announcing leadership changes and “Gibson is back”, I tend to think Gibson made a point of making these Juniors the best they could make them. As soon as I saw the specs, especially the tilted wraptail, thicker neck, “neck shelf” and the proper color, I had to have one. Everyone scoffed at the +$1,200 price and said they’d be blowing these out at a discount by end of year. Never happened and Gibson re-released the new USA line Juniors in 2019 and they sold like crazy.

I always wanted a Junior but hated the straight lightening bar bridge, skinny neck, lack of neck shelf, and the “natural burst“ color of the USA line Juniors and didn’t want to spend Custom Shop dollars for a proper Junior. Is the Bruce Kulick Junior a Custom Shop model?
Glad you got a Jr. you really like, they really are cool guitars! As for the Jr. I purchased, I’m not sure what the Bruce Kulick connection is, it was just mentioned in the sales description. That’s why I inquired about additional info if anyone had any. As I’m going to sell the guitar I was trying to get all the background info I can find before the sale. It really does play and sound great, wish I could keep it!

Dilver

Reaction score
Update: I’m stunned. I played a gig last night with just my Les Paul Junior, my small pedal board and a Fender 65 DRRI. The rig killed and Junior did exactly what I needed it to do. With a Wampler Tumnus mini set with the gain cranked and the volume set to about 8 o’clock I was able to control everything from the guitar.

I was a little concerned that I’d get out there and wish I‘d brought a Les Paul with two pickups, but I shouldn’t have worried. Riding the volume and tone controls, it was all there - clean, dirty, smooth, biting, searing, and all the other adjectives - and when I‘m loving the tone, I just play better.

I discovered Les Paul Juniors late in life and I’m sure my experience is shared by many (tell me your Junior story). But the Junior simply rocks. I can only imagine how much I‘d enjoy a real 50s Junior.

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Update: I’m stunned. I played a gig last night with just my Les Paul Junior, my small pedal board and a Fender 65 DRRI. The rig killed and Junior did exactly what I needed it to do. With a Wampler Tumnus mini set with the gain cranked and the volume set to about 8 o’clock I was able to control everything from the guitar.

I was a little concerned that I’d get out there and wish I‘d brought a Les Paul with two pickups, but I shouldn’t have worried. Riding the volume and tone controls, it was all there - clean, dirty, smooth, biting, searing, and all the other adjectives - and when I‘m loving the tone, I just play better.

I discovered Les Paul Juniors late in life and I’m sure my experience is shared by many (tell me your Junior story). But the Junior simply rocks. I can only imagine how much I‘d enjoy a real 50s Junior.
That’s awesome! It’s hard to pinpoint but I feel like there’s some magic mojo in the design of a Junior. A few simple pieces coming together to create something far greater than the sum of it’s parts. I too am curious to try a real 50’s one.

Cjsinla

Reaction score
I had the same experience with a Jr at a gig. It did everything I needed it to, I relaxed and had a great gig. But, a friend told me not to gig my 59 because it’s too valuable so I got spooked. Now it stays home. I do have some CS Specials but they are definitely a different animal.

yamariv

Reaction score
Welcome to the world of Juniors OP! My upgraded and rewired 15 Junior was my main practice rig for my last band. Simple, sounded amazing and I didn't have to worry about playing it out. I could easily do any song by playing around with the volume and tone controls....plus Juniors just look cool and are Rock machines!!

Latest Threads