Put Hand Sanitizer On My Car

wildhawk1

Reaction score
Photo grabbed from the net shows what I had a good fifty of after wife parked her car under a tree when visiting mom.

Q2CGJAj.jpg

Of course the stuff dries hard as a rock and there's no just washing it off.

After doing some research grabbed a bottle of hand sanitizer we had laying around with about sixty five percent alcohol content.

Little drop on about ten spots at a time then waited a couple minutes and the stuff went quickly bye bye after gentle rubbing with a fingertip. No clear coat or paint harm. A rewax and I'm a happy man.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep... Detailers use denatured alcohol all the time to strip previous paint treatments.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep... Detailers use denatured alcohol all the time to strip previous paint treatments.
also did not know that. I do a pro detail whenever i buy a car. 2 days of hell. My process is:
snowfoam/rinse dry
deox/rinse dry
metal off/ rinse dry
cleaner polish/rinse dry
hard pad medium cutting compound/rinse dry
softpad diminishing G3/mequiars ultimate comp/rinse dry
carnuba polish applied by hand machine buffed/rinse dry
sealer coat 'last step'/rinse dry
car then looks showroom new. i sleep for two days.

Olds442

Reaction score
wrap the forward facing parts in self healing 3M, hood, fenders and front end, then ceramic coat the entire car in Cquartz.

you'll not have a problem with any chips, bird shit or anything else.

you barely need soap in the water to clean the car, and it beads up every time you wash.

Southwest

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip - didn't know that.

I have a similar process to Brek, every spring and autumn. But I use Soft 99 Fusso as the wax. It's not as "fussy" as a ceramic (easier to use than carnauba as well - longer "open time") and provides 6 months plus protection. Makes bird crap, sap etc really easy to remove. Just a weekly / fortnightly wash and dry and the car looks like new.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do that once only lol, from then on, just bucket wash with a top up of polish. that cquartz looks interesting, there is a 2 year protection from one application. i'll just need to wash to keep surface clean.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
paint thinner works really good too, but you gotta get the strong stuff and leave it on overnight.

MenaceMartin

Reaction score
interesting to know,bird crap etches the clearcoat.
Tell me 'bout it. My Toyota/Subaru's paintwork is very soft and get's easily damaged, which is very unfortunate. It has many etches on it, despite in many cases cleaning off the offending bird crap right away. I swear some of that stuff is so potent that it can burn it's way right through the roof, through the floor, and onto the tarmac below given half the chance.

Damn flying rats.

EDIT: Bat crap is the worst. We have some here, and in my shoddy luck I had some on a feshly repaired/bumper etch right into it.

rcole_sooner

Beach Bum
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bird crap is why we had to leave that apartment we were staying at. All the cars in the upper level covered parking, were covered with pigeon crap. Not only was it bad for the car finishes, it has to be unsanitary and was being tracked into the apartment. It was awful.

We did get out of our lease early after a lot of complaining about it. They knew.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
Tell me 'bout it. My Toyota/Subaru's paintwork is very soft and get's easily damaged, which is very unfortunate. It has many etches on it, despite in many cases cleaning off the offending bird crap right away. I swear some of that stuff is so potent that it can burn it's way right through the roof, through the floor, and onto the tarmac below given half the chance.

Damn flying rats.

EDIT: Bat crap is the worst. We have some here, and in my shoddy luck I had some on a feshly repaired/bumper etch right into it.
just dropped the wifes 2018 civiv off at the paint shop yesterday for hood and bumper repaint.honda paint is crappy and then.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
i think it has to do with government mandated water based paints.they can be sprayed real thin,then a thin coat of clear.when particles of sand hit the front of the car at highway speeds it leaves a mess.the paint they are using is not water based this time and will be thicker.

MenaceMartin

Reaction score
i think it has to do with government mandated water based paints.they can be sprayed real thin,then a thin coat of clear.when particles of sand hit the front of the car at highway speeds it leaves a mess.the paint they are using is not water based this time and will be thicker.
I do a lot of highway driving, and I can also definitely say that my front bumper is indeed showing evidence of sandblasting/road rash, despite keeping my distance from vehicles in front! This would explain it.

Central Scrutinizer

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bird crap is very caustic.

I ran in to an old pirate friend of mine , that I had not seen in years a while back. I was shocked at his appearance, he had a peg leg, a hook for a hand and an eye patch.

I asked him how he got to be so whittled-up, starting with the peg leg, his answer; “Aye, got it out at sea, 3 barrels of gun powder rolled off the rack on to my leg pinning me down and crushing me leg”!

I asked him about the hook where his hand used to be, “Aye, lopped off by a sword, while boarding an enemy ship”!

I asked him a bout the patch on his eye and what happened to his eye. “Aye, I was going down the gangplank in Tortuga and I heard a seagull a squawking above me, looking up, he shit in me eye”!

I asked, if the bird shit ate away his eye , necessitating the patch? “ Nay, first day with the hook” !

Sharky

Reaction score
Bird crap is why we had to leave that apartment we were staying at. All the cars in the upper level covered parking, were covered with pigeon crap
was it anywhere like this? This is created by Starlings, some 15 miles away from me

even worse in Rome where about 4 million Starlings spent their winter holidays ;o)

Last edited:

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have one tree in my condo complex that I try my best to avoid parking under.
If I'm forced to take one of the 6 spots near it, I'll pull into the space the bare minimum to get my ass end out of the driveway.

Latest Threads