Push-pull prep...

dasherf17

Reaction score
I'm putting 2-conductor pickups into a guitar with push-pull pots. Those are there in case I upgrade to 4-conductors.
My question is if I can "pre-wire" the volumes for coil tapping/splitting (a wire going diagonally from the left bank to the right bank of terminals).
The pots would be in the push/low position.

ARandall

Reaction score
There are no diagonals needed with splits. Just a ground connection to 1 of the 3-in-a-line lugs.

Davey Rock

Reaction score
There are no diagonals needed with splits. Just a ground connection to 1 of the 3-in-a-line lugs.
Yea pretty much just like Randall said. 5 wires. Hot and neg for each coil and ground for the whole pickup. Think of it as two single coils, but you ground one of them like a kill switch.

ARandall

Reaction score
If you wanted parallel, then that set-up has a diagonal. But you're limited to 1 pickup per push-pull, whereas you can split both pickups with 1 if you choose.

dasherf17

Reaction score
If you wanted parallel, then that set-up has a diagonal. But you're limited to 1 pickup per push-pull, whereas you can split both pickups with 1 if you choose.

THAT'S where I saw diagonal...
I'm putting on a pair of Gretsch pickups on an old Studio...I planned a pair of 4 conductors previously, but when the 'trons came along I thought it a good look and sound...I have a bunch of guitars with full sized 'bucklers...just wanted something different in the "stable" for now but wanted to leave my options open...

Last edited:

cmjohnson

Reaction score
Yes there are diagonal wires running from bank 1 to bank 2 if you're using push-pull switches, if the pull function is to change the pickup wiring from standard series humbucking to parallel coil humbucking. I've done that more than once, on the volume control.

And then I use another push-pull on the tone control which is the coil tap. Drops one coil out completely.

Latest Threads