Push Pull Pots

redking

Reaction score
For those of you guys that do wiring mods - is this type of push pull pot any good? I remember when the CTS push pulls seemed to be much more heavy duty.

Snip20200516_1.png

jkes01

Reaction score
@Freddy G ’s approval is all you need. :thumb:

That one is a double pole double throw (DPDT) pot. Basically it has 2 switches and provides many more wiring options over the single pole simple throw (SPST) pot which has only one switch.

Here‘s the SPST pot which is cheaper than the DPDT version. If you are doing simple coil split, SPST works well. It is what came in my 2010 Trad Pro For coil splits.

redking

Reaction score
I'm building a H-S-S strat at the moment (well, whenever the parts arrive) and considering either a coil split or a bass cut (like a Yamaha dry switch) for the humbucker. I see from the stew mac diagram that series / parallel is also a possibility. Anybody have any favorites they find particularly useful?

Last edited:

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
For a HSS strat the coil cut is most obvious. I would do that. But on another pot I like the option of when you pull the pot, it adds the neck single coil while the other side of the switch cuts a coil from the bridge humbucker simultaneously...so when you switch to the humbucker on your 5 way with this pot pulled up you get single coil at the bridge and neck pup together.

redking

Reaction score
For a HSS strat the coil cut is most obvious. I would do that. But on another pot I like the option of when you pull the pot, it adds the neck single coil while the other side of the switch cuts a coil from the bridge humbucker simultaneously...so when you switch to the humbucker on your 5 way with this pot pulled up you get single coil at the bridge and neck pup together.
Almost tele-esque?

caseychan

Reaction score
I’ve had two of those fail at the front crimp and shaft retention clips. (The shaft pulled right out with the knobs)

The ones I still have installed feel very squishy and cheap to actuate. The pot itself sounds fine. Bourns are what I stick with for now. Much more heavy duty and the switch feels clean and crispy.

Your mileage may vary.

Latest Threads