Push-Pull Pots -> Top-hats, Speed, or Reflector knobs?

Lester

Reaction score
Doing some push pull pots and changing knobs at the same time. Got to thinking about actually pulling the knobs. I want to go traditional and I'd use flat top top hats if there were no other considerations. But I'm thinking they might be hard to grab and pull. Are reflector knobs or speed knobs be any better? Or are they all equally difficult without grabbing at the base? I know the knurled Telecaster type would be easiest to pull but I need to use something Gibson, because.

Last edited:

ARandall

Reaction score
Depends on your fingers really.
The speed knob has a lot of bulk to grab at the top which might make it easier.....but if its a gig situation with possibly sweaty hands then all theoretical scenarios go out the window.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
Depends on your fingers really.
The speed knob has a lot of bulk to grab at the top which might make it easier.....but if its a gig situation with possibly sweaty hands then all theoretical scenarios go out the window.
+1
In order of "difficulty", I'd say it's conventional bell, reflector, and speed knobs being the easiest... but that's "in the lab".

In practice? There's probably a reason Ibanez used the Sure-Grip knobs with a rubber insert. Not sure how faithful you want to be to Gibson... and I don't know if the Sure-Grip knobs will work with imperial pots.

RocketKing

Reaction score
I'd also go for speed knobs.
Being a bit bigger they're just a bit easier to grab and pull.
I remember that after a few years of top hats, Gibson used speed knobs on the push pull Standard of a few years ago.
Made total sense to me.

Lester

Reaction score
Those black Ibanez knobs look almost like stock speed knobs. Might try those. A little pricey even compared to official Gibson knobs though.

Also found this: This guy added some custom rubber o-rings routed into stock top-hat style knobs. Not sure I'm up for that as I no longer have a drill press and associate rigging.

Latest Threads