Pure Kossoff

palmerfralick

Reaction score
Put this here because it was recorded using a Burst. I can't believe only 15000 views, at least 30 are mine. For us Koss fanatics If you have not seen it's worth a view or 2. I usually skip to 2:33 to hear the tone that's stuck in my head and his vibrato technique is here in all it's glory

palmerfralick

Reaction score
Everything about that is what an old Marshall is supposed to sound like. Beautiful. Not too many still sound like that.

Not many guitar players if any can sound like that. I assume it was a Marshall but since this is a studio recording I guess it's possible it could be something else. Whatever it is it's a truly righteous tone. You can hear the double tracking in the first part.

BigJim

Reaction score
A song I have heard a million times and have played 100s of times. Always love hearing it, its fun to play too because EVERYONE recognizes it and reacts positively. I play the solo note for note, which isn't challenging; getting the vibrato and timing right is tricky. So many rush through the solo, it needs to breathe.

Love to hear it isolated too, so raw, punchy and just the right amount of attitude. This has to be a Marshall though, or Hiwatt??

rhys1157

Reaction score
The recording captured it so perfectly you can picture him in the room playing it. His little inconsistencies make it pure perfection. It’s a testament to feel over technique, taking nothing away from his technique obviously

questionman

Reaction score
Hate the camerawork, but love the audio!

Was just listening to this at work tonight reading a thesis about pH of cocoa

F-ing incredible performance. Favorite version of Mr. Big. Rodgers sounds amazing too

PeteNJ75

Reaction score
I keep trying to copy his vibrato, and I'll get close, but it's really friggin' hard to do. And doing it that fast and perfectly at the top of bends (especially that 15th fret high E bend at the end of the 2nd phrase of the solo - JFC) is pretty insane. I read somewhere that Clapton played with him and was completely dumbfounded at his vibrato and asked him how the hell he did it. I'm asking myself the same question right now. He had a very unique talent for sounding like he pulls every ounce of feeling from every note he plays, it's pretty amazing. And that tone is perfection. My question is how did real bursts have "that sound" (whether you want to call it that hollow quality or something else) that only seems to come from really old wood less than 10 years after they were made (assuming this was recorded around '68-69 and I'm too lazy to look it up right now)? I know they used Honduran Mahogany, but was it already old wood? If so, I didn't realize that. I have Les Pauls much older than that, and they don't get that tone. Maybe close, but it just goes to show just how special real 1959 bursts are. They were unique from the start.

sixlicks

Reaction score
Put this here because it was recorded using a Burst. I can't believe only 15000 views, at least 30 are mine. For us Koss fanatics If you have not seen it's worth a view or 2. I usually skip to 2:33 to hear the tone that's stuck in my head and his vibrato technique is here in all it's glory

bbaug14

Reaction score
Not many guitar players if any can sound like that. I assume it was a Marshall but since this is a studio recording I guess it's possible it could be something else. Whatever it is it's a truly righteous tone. You can hear the double tracking in the first part.
I was always under the impression Koss used a Treble N Bass on All Right Now. Regardless, so awesome. His playing is just incredible.

Flogger59

Reaction score
The whole thing, aside from the solo, is 2 guitars.

jrgert

Reaction score
I read where Angus Young was a big fan.

After that, every time I hear this solo, I think "Yeah" Angus really did dig this cat.

AwayWeG0

Reaction score
A song I have heard a million times and have played 100s of times. Always love hearing it, its fun to play too because EVERYONE recognizes it and reacts positively. I play the solo note for note, which isn't challenging; getting the vibrato and timing right is tricky. So many rush through the solo, it needs to breathe.

Love to hear it isolated too, so raw, punchy and just the right amount of attitude. This has to be a Marshall though, or Hiwatt??
…or Bassman!

dasherf17

Reaction score

Palmer...thanks for the video...Koss is definitely a guitar hero to me...I've often said he could do more with one note than many could do burning all over the neck...playing smarter, not harder? That vibrato...so much soul.

Latest Threads