Puppy training tips?

Skeletor

Reaction score
I know that there are a few of us that have recently adopted puppies.
Any tips & tricks for raising the little ones?
My last puppy was back in 2006 so my mind had blocked out a lot of the frustration :)

Currently trying to deal with the biting and I think he has just discovered digging

fett

Get fett. It pays.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I don't have any tips about stopping the digging. Years ago, my friend had a Lab that was on a mission to see how many holes he could dig in the backyard. :hyper:

TheX

Still Alive and Well
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife used the Dog Whisperer method/videos. It's amazing how well it works.

Skeletor

Reaction score
My wife used the Dog Whisperer method/videos. It's amazing how well it works.
Used to watch those years ago - probably been close to 8 years since I saw a Ceaser program - he still on the air?

Sloppy Joe

Reaction score
I’ve had/been around dogs my whole life. Most of them have been waterfowl dogs like Labs; and I’ve always trained my own for both life as a family dog and as a hunting dog.
Whatever method you use, I recommend the following: Keep the training sessions short. No more than 5 to 10 minutes each, and do 2 or 3 each day. Puppies have very short attention spans. Doing too much in each session can, for them, make training a negative experience. If it’s fun for them, they learn faster.

Thundermtn

Reaction score
I always stopped it by grabbing them by the lower jaw like you do when you are holding a fish. Thumb down in between the front lower canines with your other fingers under their jaw.

Light pressure without meanness, it's not to cause any pain. You're just letting them know if they bite that they will have to be annoyed and restrained by the mouth.

Also remember they don't have hands so their mouth is how they interact with everything. After you correct them, give them something they can bite so they know it's ok to be a dog still.

Pop1655

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don’t know about digging. For chewing we found the ticket for our lab was an inexpensive wicker patio set from WalMart. By the time the table and 4 chairs were gone, he was pretty much past the chewing phase. Worked out just right.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
my german shepherd chewed the whole back out of a leather couch as a puppy...

Crotch

Triggered
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nylabones. Only while puppies. After that they can crack their teeth. My pups are all about shoes and pant legs right now. And the swifter after one of them pees in the house.

PeteK

Reaction score
When my dog was a puppy, he had a digging problem. I used to pick up his poop around the yard and put it in the holes. He stopped digging after that. As far as chewing, I still have teeth marks on my coffee table from when he was a pup. I tried different bones. I think he just grew out of it honestly.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remi was a doll, but unruly. We checked into a professional trainer, cost would be about $2,500 ... we balked.

We saved $2,500, but if we had shelled out maybe that stupid dog probably wouldn't have bolted in front of a pick up truck.

Maybe consider a professional trainer, if I had to do it all over again I would have.

TheX

Still Alive and Well
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Used to watch those years ago - probably been close to 8 years since I saw a Ceaser program - he still on the air?
She has the books, I'm not sure about the show.

WaywerdSon

Reaction score
Crate crate and crate!!! IT is the way and the light. Puppy gets out of control, tell it to go to its crate. No accidents in the house, and after a very short time, the dog will regard that crate as its own safe spot, just like a den in the wild. It makes basic training almost effortless

jc2000

Reaction score
Same ours is 7months old and the wife on it as soon as we got him. A ton of good videos out these. He's been great.

Pop1655

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have a working breed, they have to have a job. I had a rough start with a border collie. She ended up as a darn near world class frisbee dog. As long as she went to “work” in the park right across the street everyday for her frisbee time, she was perfect for the other 23 hours of the day.

Latest Threads