Puchase advice: Wiring harness, jack, toggle

cherrick

Reaction score
So, I'm again in the market for yet another Les Paul wiring harness. I've bought from Emerson before and his work looks great.
Are there harness builders local to MyLesPaul you would suggest?
I might give them a try based on your suggestions. THX!

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score

TrippyStormtrooper

Reaction score
So, I'm again in the market for yet another Les Paul wiring harness. I've bought from Emerson before and his work looks great.
Are there harness builders local to MyLesPaul you would suggest?
I might give them a try based on your suggestions. THX!
I don’t know abut local, but I love my RS Guitarworks harness. I did the 50’s wiring / Vintage and bought some luxe bees. I want to try their caps as well.

cheers.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The Emerson stuff is great, and certainly more reasonably priced than some of the alternatives. Given what these components cost to buy individually and how little it takes to assemble them, it seems at a glance that the harness game might be a bit of a racket.

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score
The Emerson stuff is great, and certainly more reasonably priced than some of the alternatives. Given what these components cost to buy individually and how little it takes to assemble them, it seems at a glance that the harness game might be a bit of a racket.
A bit of a racket? Trust me there’s a difference between an “off the assembly line” harness that Emerson makes, and others who go to great lengths to source real in spec bees. Also there are guys that go through a trial and error process to find the best taper pots, and have them custom made for their business only.

The “racket” part comes into play when people (with your line of thinking on this) buy a bunch of shitty parts, slap them together with solder sloppily applied, and use the same advertising lingo as the guys who go the extra length.

It’s like people who buy an expensive camera and all of a sudden they think they’re a photographer. Unless you put the time in to learn about the aspects of a wiring harness that sets it apart from the average Joe who buys a bunch of bulk parts and brands himself a harness maker, you ain’t shit! Lol!

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
A bit of a racket? Trust me there’s a difference between an “off the assembly line” harness that Emerson makes, and others who go to great lengths to source real in spec bees. Also there are guys that go through a trial and error process to find the best taper pots, and have them custom made for their business only.

The “racket” part comes into play when people (with your line of thinking on this) buy a bunch of shitty parts, slap them together with solder sloppily applied, and use the same advertising lingo as the guys who go the extra length.

It’s like people who buy an expensive camera and all of a sudden they think they’re a photographer. Unless you put the time in to learn about the aspects of a wiring harness that sets it apart from the average Joe who buys a bunch of bulk parts and brands himself a harness maker, you ain’t shit! Lol!
Oh, I know. I've bought two of Matt's harnesses myself. There are dozens of sellers who ARE slapping parts together, though - hence the racket part.

MATTM

MSSCGuitarWiring.com
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Oh, I know. I've bought two of Matt's harnesses myself. There are dozens of sellers who ARE slapping parts together, though - hence the racket part.
And slapping the wrong parts together LOL. Or....

This classic I saw over the weekend - a LP wiring harness with prewired switch and jack. The problem is (contrary to the sellers claim of "Just drop it right in your Les Paul"), how are you going to fish the switch and jack leads if they are already pre-soldered!? LOL

I guess you buy a "prewired harness" to un-solder what was incorrectly "prewired."

Last edited:

Latest Threads