Psychologist Declares Father "Unfit Parent" For Refusing to Take His Son to McDonalds

TLI-Inferno

Reaction score
Dad an ‘unfit parent for refusing son McDonald’s’ | New York Post

A Manhattan dad is not lovin’ McDonald’s right now.
Attorney David Schorr slapped a court-appointed shrink with a defamation lawsuit for telling the judge deciding a custody battle with his estranged wife that he was an unfit parent — for refusing to take his son to the fast food joint for dinner.
“You’d think it was sexual molestation,” Schorr, 43, told The Post Thursday. “I am just floored by it.”
Schorr says in his Manhattan Supreme Court suit that E. 97th Street psychiatrist Marilyn Schiller filed a report saying he was “wholly incapable of taking care of his son” and should be denied his weekend visitation over the greasy burger ban.
Schorr, a corporate attorney turned consultant with degrees from NYU and Oxford University, had planned to take his 4-year-old son to their usual restaurant, the Corner Café on Third Avenue, for his weekly Tuesday night visitation last week.
But the boy threw a temper tantrum and demanded McDonald’s. So he gave his son an ultimatum: dinner anywhere other than McDonald’s — or no dinner.
“The child, stubborn as a mule, chose the ‘no dinner’ option,” the disgruntled dad says in the suit.
“It was just a standoff. I’m kicking myself mightily,” Schorr said.
“I wish I had taken him to McDonalds, but you get nervous about rewarding bad behavior. I was concerned. I think it was a 1950s equivalent of sending your child to bed without dinner. That’s maybe the worst thing you can say about it,” he said.
Adding insult to injury, he said: “My wife immediately took him to McDonalds.”
Upon reflection, Schorr said he should have remembered that mother knows best.
“The first thing I did was I questioned myself,” he recalled.
“Had I done something wrong? I did what any 43-year-old Jewish man would do — I told my mother. I said, ‘My God, did I do something wrong here?’
“Even my mother, the strictest mother in the world, said, ‘Why didn’t you just take him to McDonalds? What were you thinking? You know that this is a divorce situation.’”

Seriously? He was being a good parent, trying to teach his son two things:

1: You can't always get what you want.

2: Eat real food.

He even offered to take him ANYWHERE else. His son had the chance of a lifetime, he could have used that ticket to go to a restaurant that serves four-course meals. Heck, I haven't even been to one of those, yet, but they sound like they're built for people like me.

It seems like the entire world is determined to turn children into whiny brats. This child is going to grow up not ready for the world because his mother decided to spoil him just to have extra leverage against her husband in the divorce.

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I would start asking questions...

like, I don't know,

Did the future Ex and/or her lawyer BRIBE the bastard to make his "psych evaluation" go that way?

The only other explanation would be that he is just too damn incompetent to practice psych.

Sustainamaniac

Reaction score
Trying not to make a comment about that being the reason your dad got banned...

Whoops. :D

Jakeislove

Reaction score
Office space in Manhattan must be pretty expensive, LOL!

TLI-Inferno

Reaction score

like, I don't know,

Did the future Ex and/or her lawyer BRIBE the bastard to make his "psych evaluation" go that way?

The only other explanation would be that he is just too damn incompetent to practice psych.

I believe I read somewhere, when I was checking several sources to validate the story before posting a link, that the psychologist was a woman. She probably just hates men as much as the ex-wife.

Trying not to make a comment about that being the reason your dad got banned...

Whoops. :D

I tried to say something funny in response, but nothing I could think of was appropriate.

tazzboy

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
nice of the mother to use her son as a pawn in the divorce. The Judge should be declared unfit and remove from the bench for that kind of ruling.

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, at least the dad didn't make his son carry a 20# block a few miles. :rolleyes:

Sustainamaniac

Reaction score
I tried to say something funny in response, but nothing I could think of was appropriate.

Valid...

I didn't mean anything of it. Just saw an opportunity and...

A wee bit inappropriate, but all in good fun, right?

Right? :D

KP

Oldtimer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The shrink needs their license revoked for abject stupidity.

Torren61

Reaction score
He left out the part where the son said "Okay. Joe's Bar-B-Q for a pulled pork sandwich!" and HE said "NOT THAT EITHER!!"

nauc

Reaction score
if my dad didnt take me, i would have been all...

:laugh2:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-RmAhnu5YE]Game of Thrones imp'ed Slapped! - YouTube[/ame]

PraXis

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I expect nothing less from comrade de Blasio's shitty.

EasyAce

Reaction score
Some of us think that taking our children to McDonald's is tantamount to child abuse.

Blues4U

Reaction score

like, I don't know,

I am sure my assessment of the Mental Health profession will piss some people off, but here goes.

Mental Health is still pretty much fvcking voodoo magic BS.

If you have stomach cancer and you go to 10 different Oncologist, they will all tell you that you have stomach cancer.

If you have a blockage in your colon and you go to 10 different proctologist, they will all tell you that there is a blockage.

If you have an abscessed tooth and go to 10 dentist, you will be told you have an abscess.

If you have a child with severe behavioral problems and go to 10 psycologist or psychiatrist, you will have 3 say ADHD, 1 say they are autistic, 2 say the kid is oppositional defiant, 2 say bi-polar, 1 say border line schizophrenic and 1 say there is nothing wrong with the child but you are a terrible parent for even asking what's wrong with the kid.

These people use little science but offer up many opinions. They take educated guesses for the most part.

Some of them are pretty good guessers, most are not--

I could write a book on the topic.

rockstar232007

Reaction score

like, I don't know,

The psychiatrist is a woman.

Just sayin'.

Jakeislove

Reaction score
I am sure my assessment of the Mental Health profession will piss some people off, but here goes.

Mental Health is still pretty much fvcking voodoo magic BS.

If you have stomach cancer and you go to 10 different Oncologist, they will all tell you that you have stomach cancer.

If you have a blockage in your colon and you go to 10 different proctologist, they will all tell you that there is a blockage.

If you have an abscessed tooth and go to 10 dentist, you will be told you have an abscess.

If you have a child with severe behavioral problems and go to 10 psycologist or psychiatrist, you will have 3 say ADHD, 1 say they are autistic, 2 say the kid is oppositional defiant, 2 say bi-polar, 1 say border line schizophrenic and 1 say there is nothing wrong with the child but you are a terrible parent for even asking what's wrong with the kid.

These people use little science but offer up many opinions. They take educated guesses for the most part.

Some of them are pretty good guessers, most are not--

I could write a book on the topic.

A dog can have ticks and fleas, you know. :)

jeff_farkas

Reaction score
Everything in Manhattan must be pretty expensive, LOL!

FIFY ;)

nice of the mother to use her son as a pawn in the divorce. The Judge should be declared unfit and remove from the bench for that kind of ruling.

Happens all the time and both parents are usually guilty of this shit. The kids get to suffer when this happens.
Shame. :(

Jeremiah

The Worst
Reaction score
I'm wondering if the headline is just sensationalizing the story to sell papers, wouldn't be the first time. For all I know, this guy regularly doesn't feed the kid. I don't think that would happen, but I really don't know.

Dismissing the psych eval out of hand at this point would be over-generalizing the profession. I can honestly say that no psychologist has ever worked for me due to my unwillingness to be honest with them. There was absolutely nothing they could do without my active participation.

A four year old knows what his mother tells him. If she is trying to poison him against his father, then that is what is going to happen.

Latest Threads