Psychological issues with LP's

chrose1201

Reaction score
No... not the usual ones. I have been considering a Les Paul. I had a 1978 Pro Deluxe that was new to me, back in, well... 1978! 3 years ago I bought a 2012 but I sold it, for other reasons. Yesterday while killing a little time at GC I played a new LP Trad Pro V and really liked the neck. I am also seeing some use for the coil splitting/tapping abilities.
But the psychological aspect of this is the the new vs older Les Pauls. Gibson has gotten some bad raps over the years and having not been a Gibson guy for a long time I am finding it hard to pull the trigger on a new LP vs an older one (any older one) is it all in my head?

What are your thoughts on new vs older LP's?

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The newest LP I've owned was a 2016 Trad and it was a fine guitar. Felt good, played well. Only issue I had was the humbucking pickups hummed ('57 burst buckers I think), but no issues aside from that.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think many of the supposed ‘issues’ are overblown. A combination of either buyers remorse and/or not understanding the manual processes used to make these guitars. Yeah, I am am a bit ‘meh’ over some aspects of my 2020 R0, non of which are major issues as such, lacquers a bit thick in the inner horn area. The seam where binding meets mahogany back is stepped slightly, how much? .5mm???.25mm??? No idea, affects the playability not one bit. Nut could have been cut deeper, and I’m struggling to say anything else.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
i can tell you that my 2015 junior and 2017 tribute GT are both good instruments,but ive never had a vintage LP in my hands.

MattyJ92

Reaction score
My 2017 T Standard that I (reluctantly) sold earlier this year was an amazing instrument. It played great, looked great and the fit and finish was fantastic. I even learned to love the versatility of the push/pulls. I'd buy one again in a heartbeat. Having said all of that, I've never played a LP older than mid-2000s.

moreles

Reaction score
It's not as though 70s LPs were works of meticulous craftsmanship. They were assembly line guitars, just like the Fenders of that era (though with fewer compromises in finish), and are fine. Recent production LPs are made quite well. A few features, notably neck binding/nibs are sometimes--sometimes--substandard, even bad, relative to earlier years because that skill has been lost. This makes Gibsons look worse than, say, PRS, which avoid binding issues, nibs, etc. by eliminating them from the instrument entirely, making for an apples/oranges distinction. I don't buy new Gibsons (or Fenders) because the value for money is just not there, IMO. When you can sort through the vast number of used/older guitars available from all sources, your choices are way better than whatever Sweetwater says they have, and wityh many sources, you can get more, not less information about the actual guitar if you choose to buy at a distance. The guitars I have bought new are Collings and Versoul, whose reliability and quality are foundational to their enterprise. New Gibsons are what they are, and generally excellent, but they have never been "perfect" in every detail and still aren't, and shouldn't be expected to be.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
If I found a guitar that spoke to me I would disregard brand, year, even color if it wasn't "plaid".
I regret not getting a $200 used Ibanez that I tried and went "wow".
And that was almost 20 years ago ...

If the neck feels right, the weight is comfortable and you feel good with it,
if somehow in your head you'd be a better guitarist with that thing, buy it.
Don't let "exterior" considerations get between you and your "baby"!
And most importantly, post pics when you get it!

:thumb:

Roger66

Reaction score
No... not the usual ones. I have been considering a Les Paul. I had a 1978 Pro Deluxe that was new to me, back in, well... 1978! 3 years ago I bought a 2012 but I sold it, for other reasons. Yesterday while killing a little time at GC I played a new LP Trad Pro V and really liked the neck. I am also seeing some use for the coil splitting/tapping abilities.
But the psychological aspect of this is the the new vs older Les Pauls. Gibson has gotten some bad raps over the years and having not been a Gibson guy for a long time I am finding it hard to pull the trigger on a new LP vs an older one (any older one) is it all in my head?

msalama

Reaction score
I've only owned 2 Gibsons in my life, both old, a 1973ish SG Standard and a 1973-74 LP Deluxe. The SG was a dog with a warped neck, the DLX, a heavenly piece of 70's rock perfection. I still own the latter - and always will.

But I've occasionally test played some contemporary(ish) Gibsons as well, and as I remember it, they were all good instruments per se. One had a somewhat strange neck - can't put my finger on what was funny with it anymore though, was ages ago - but other than that, I found them dependable, well playable, good sounding and sturdy rockers. No vintage mojo though (yet), but as far as quality goes, no complaints.

So a matter of taste really, isn't it?

Caretaker

Reaction score
EVERY guitar is an individual, just like people.
There are many good ons and mny ok/bad ones.
What may be perfect for me, may be a tone turd for you.
What I may not pay $500 for, you may buy for $2k.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Yes, I just buy guitars that speak to me. I don't care what brand they are or year or anything else provided I don't find the color hideously ugly.

And I even have one that is hideously ugly but the seller in Japan filtered the color in his photos lol. I was not happy when it got here and I saw what color it really was, but it plays and sounds so good! I do plan to refinish it, but in the meantime I just don't look at it too much while I'm playing lol.

PAPADON

Reaction score
It depends on what you mean by an older one. You're going to have to go back quite a bit to precede the most recent bad era. Then if you go back farther it gets even worse and going back farther still it gets really good but basically cost prohibitive.

Pleximan

Reaction score
It really just boils down to the guitar and what you're after. There's mojo to old guitars that can't really be faked very easily. I've really enjoyed playing the newer R9's and True historics they played and sounded great! I just got a used BAB '59 replica that just stopped my chasing Les Paul tones. It's "the tone."

Ultimately, if it feels right and puts a smile on your face. That's all that matters. All the forum and internet banter can go to hell.

chrose1201

Reaction score
Great responses, thank you! My original post on another thread was wondering what other Les Pauls have the 60's Slim Taper neck. I feel what Moreles said with " I don't buy new Gibsons (or Fenders) because the value for money is just not there, IMO. " That's part of my dilemma as that was in my head. I more or less talked myself into the value of being able to split coils or taps on the pups, but then I thought too, well that's why I have my Strats :D The whole original reason for wanting a LP was for the humbuckers! But I feel like I would be happy with any other LP's as long as they had a slim taper neck! Hence also the reason for liking the 1970's Ibanez LP's. Thin necks!

Texsunburst59

Reaction score
If you like the thin LP necks, then you should look for the 90's and 00's Gibson Classic LP's.

The neck on my '00 is a thinner profile that feels, to ME, between a 50's and 60's neck profile.

I love the feel of this neck, as I'm not really a fan of the bigger 50's style necks.

JMP

Reaction score
I’d bet that if the internet existed in 1959, guitar geeks like us would posting threads with the very same “issues”. If you find a modern Gibson Les Paul that you really like, buy it! My 2 cents /opinion is that there’s no magic sauce in a guitar just because it’s older or “vintage”. There’s great guitars and turds......always had been. But, I’d guess that modern manufacturing tolerances probably results in fewer turds (pure speculation on my part)..

PAPADON

Reaction score
My 08 Studio came with a load of cosmetic issues due to the poor lacquer finish Gibson did on it. I had my tech bring it up to par and it's now a keeper but if I had it to do over I would have passed on it and just went with the two I bought after that.

Ibanez AR 325
1621199204583.png

Agile 2500 with upgraded pick ups
1621199303146.png

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
I have a '79 SG Std that I have always felt was the nicest playing overall SG that I ever played ... and by quite a ways actually. I always just accepted that I was just lucky, and it was just one of those magical guitars. But in recent history, I noticed differences between my '79 and other '79's, and wondered why. Looking into it a little further, I saw that my '79 is a Kalamazoo-made guitar. Hmmm. For my particular situation, I kinda think that may have been the reason my guitar got the mojo it did. But, yes, I think the current Les Pauls are AWESOME. I own a 2010 and a 2018, and -- while not one of the beautiful new 2020/2021 Standards, they are still just killer guitars.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Gibson has gotten some bad raps over the years and having not been a Gibson guy for a long time I am finding it hard to pull the trigger on a new LP vs an older one (any older one) is it all in my head?
Laughable, bud. 1978 was right in the middle of Gibson's junk years. 2013/newer is somewhat of a second golden era.

Last edited:

Latest Threads