PSA: Willcutt's Sell One Month Old Used Murphy Lab Defect as New

jwinger

Reaction score
I do find it interesting how the top replica guys can get flawless thermally-enhanced aging but the massive company that dominates the business can't. Perhaps Gibson should pony up and buy a working Nitro formula from one of those dudes.

This. And people wonder why people buy replicas rather than Gibson's...

calieng

Banned
Reaction score
P.S. When you read the above message please note they say all models with aniline dye are effected. Not just the dark cherry but also the light cherry. So it remains to be seen if they develop issues later on as well.

I wish Gibson would tell us the dates this dye was used, serial numbers, confirm whether we need to worry about ES-335 and SGs or not etc. They still have not replied to my customer service message.

Does anyone else want to give it a try to get more info? Someone with connections at Gibson?

This is the part that is upsetting - being left in the dark. I do not mind that a mistake is made but at least come clean about it and give us the info we need to decide what to do with the remaining guitars.

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing! Interesting information.

To all the haters in this thread: If you really can't comprehend the difference between 'finish wear' and a 'finish defect', maybe look in the mirror and laugh at yourself for lacking a functional brain instead of ridiculing Calieng. Nobody in this thread asked for your shortsighted opinions on relic guitars.

Or, if you're so keen on laughing at people buying relic guitars, I suggest you find the thread where some guy was asking if he should return his relic guitar because he was certain there was a scratch that was caused by the shop and not by Gibson. Yes he was mad there was a tiny scratch on his "mint" relic guitar. See the difference here? "wear" vs "defect"?

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
They still have not replied to my customer service message.

I've been hearing this so often for so long, I'm starting to believe they're doing it on purpose. No functioning company can be this bad at customer service. I think they're forcing you to communicate via the store you buy from, to filter out all the bullshit questions they get from second hand buyers.

Zoli77

Reaction score
You aren't Kidding about the Trolling! But definitely Not From a Genius... ROTFLMMAO...
Well my hope for humanity made me say that, because if those guys are serious…….. we have a big problem.

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
OK thanks. I was still looking for any official announcement from Gibson letting people know how to handle this issue.

Maybe it never comes.
Gibson has offered to refinish the guitars with this issue. What more do you want?

Clint

Reaction score
Gibson has offered to refinish the guitars with this issue. What more do you want?
What does a car company do when there's an acknowledged defect in their cars? Ever get a recall notice? Maybe Gisbon is hoping some owners won't care or don't have the problem right now, but what if it happens in, say 2 years? What about the non-original owners? After seeing some of these pictures, I'd be inclined to return mine even if it wasn't flaking. I don't own one BTW, but have thought about getting one.

Last edited:

Subterfuge

Reaction score
I though about getting one but after this debacle any purchase ideas are on hold for a long, long time ..

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
What does a car company do when there's an acknowledged defect in their cars? Ever get a recall notice? Maybe Gisbon is hoping some owners won't care or don't have the problem right now, but what if it happens in, say 2 years? What about the non-original owners? After seeing some of these pictures, I'd be inclined to return mine even if it wasn't flaking. I don't own one BTW, but have thought about getting one.
Auto recalls are always safety related. This is not. It's a quality issue that Gibson is offering to remedy by refinishing the guitars that are affected. If owners don't care that's not Gibson's fault.

It seems like the finish issues started shortly after the guitars were delivered? Hopefully it will become apparent which guitars are affected and which aren't.

Clint

Reaction score
Auto recalls are always safety related. This is not. It's a quality issue that Gibson is offering to remedy by refinishing the guitars that are affected. If owners don't care that's not Gibson's fault.

It seems like the finish issues started shortly after the guitars were delivered? Hopefully it will become apparent which guitars are affected and which aren't.
I would say it's a BIG quality issue that has the potential to haunt future owners. May not be safety-related but tell that to an owner who forked out $10K for one.
If you wanna compare apples to apples, Fender did a recall on their Anniversary models from '79 due to similar finish issues.

marksoundguitars

Chief Paint Sniffer
Reaction score
I worked with this crazy woman about 30 years ago who would buy her kids clothes and shoes at Walmart, then when the kids outgrew them, she'd take the stuff back for a refund. After a while they banned her from the store.

Not that there's any comparison, just sayin'.

Andrew1225

Reaction score
I would say it's a BIG quality issue that has the potential to haunt future owners. May not be safety-related but tell that to an owner who forked out $10K for one.
If you wanna compare apples to apples, Fender did a recall on their Anniversary models from '79 due to similar finish issues.
MLs are directed to a much smaller customer base, with fewer numbers being produced.
Plus only a select batch have been reported to have this issue.
To do a total recall, is nonsense.

I live in Japan, and in regards to QC the customers and dealers here are NAZIS, and there still hasn’t been a case reported here and we have a lot of MLs in Tokyo.

Clint

Reaction score
MLs are directed to a much smaller customer base, with fewer numbers being produced.
Plus only a select batch have been reported to have this issue.
To do a total recall, is nonsense.

I live in Japan, and in regards to QC the customers and dealers here are NAZIS, and there still hasn’t been a case reported here and we have a lot of MLs in Tokyo.
Big chunks of finish flaking off sounds like a big issue to me. I don't think a total recall is warranted, either, just the ones affected.
Hard to gauge how many ML's have this problem but based on all the threads, it's more than a few. Japan may not have gotten any of the defective ones, who knows at this point. The guy who started this shitstorm bought about a dozen and about 1/2 of them had significant flaking, which is defective. Maybe it was just bad timing but I think he has a right to be pissed and is warning other owners. I was considering getting one and have decided to hold off until this gets resolved.

jktxs

Reaction score
I found these pics on digimart, and these are from the mega retailers like Kurosawa. Ultra light aged & brand new. So yes, Japan definitely got defective ones, and from the earliest batch too. It's certainly not the majority so these stick out like a sore thumb. I don't think the issue has blown up to the extent that it has here (MLP).

hOjxnZHl.jpg

DnIYmRvl.jpg

Last edited:

Andrew1225

Reaction score
Big chunks of finish flaking off sounds like a big issue to me.
Never said it wasn’t :naughty:

I found these pics on digimart, and these are from the mega retailers like Kurosawa. Ultra light aged & brand new. So yes, Japan definitely got defective ones, and from the earliest batch too. It's certainly not the majority so these stick out like a sore thumb. I don't think the issue has blown up to the extent that it has here (MLP).

hOjxnZHl.jpg

DnIYmRvl.jpg
I must’ve missed that one, I’d be surprised if they’re still selling that as new.
The second pic seems pretty standard tho

jktxs

Reaction score
The second pic seems pretty standard tho
Might be hard to see from that angle, here's a different pic of the same guitar. Chunks of finish have already fallen off the headstock diamond. AFAIK this is definitely not intentional, especially not on ultra light aged ones.

oST8MIml.jpg

Andrew1225

Reaction score
Might be hard to see from that angle, here's a different pic of the same guitar. Chunks of finish have already fallen off the headstock diamond. AFAIK this is definitely not intentional, especially not on ultra light aged ones.

oST8MIml.jpg
Well it’s a matter of time before the Japanese forums get there own version of this thread then lmao

Latest Threads