PSA for lazy guys for Mother’s Day

electric head

Just passing thru
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have always had a problem with people being in the store on mothers day buying last minute flowers.

Maybe 40 years ago I was working with a guy on Christmas eve and he had to leave work early so he could go and try to find some presents for his kids. It wasn't pay day either so it wasn't like he had no money.
I promised myself then that I would never be in that position..

PeteK

Reaction score
I got burned by a Facebook ad for these little wooden figurines of a family of bears. Ordered it a month ago for my wife. I didn't realize it was made in Italy. I keep getting shipping updates that it is held up in customs somewhere in Italy still. Luckily I had a backup plan.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I had the same experience when I sent flowers to my GF. The web ad looked great, what was delivered looked like shit, and it was like $120. to have flowers and candy delivered.

Also the box of chocolates was super tiny and had like 5 chocolates in it.

Total rip off.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My bride and I made a deal - a lifetime ago - we don't do holidays for each other. Way back in the day, when we were young & poor, with two kids, we agreed that we'd spend it all on them. Never missed getting/giving presents.

Now that the kids are all grown up, with their own kids, and money is no longer a concern, we still don't bother. If one of us wants/needs something, we simply just go get it.

The running joke for Mother's Day and Father's Day is, "I'm not your Mother/Father. Don't get me anything!" :laugh2:

mgenet

Cheese Burger = Earth
Reaction score
My bride and I made a deal - a lifetime ago - we don't do holidays for each other. Way back in the day, when we were young & poor, with two kids, we agreed that we'd spend it all on them. Never missed getting/giving presents.

Now that the kids are all grown up, with their own kids, and money is no longer a concern, we still don't bother. If one of us wants/needs something, we simply just go get it.

The running joke for Mother's Day and Father's Day is, "I'm not your Mother/Father. Don't get me anything!" :laugh2:
Hey that's a great arrangement. The way it should be Steve.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
I guess I’m lucky. Years ago I asked my wife what she wanted for Mother’s Day. Her reply was “I AM NOT YOUR MOTHER!”. Seriously, she really doesn’t even want a card from me on Mother’s Day. That stuff is up to our kids. Now her birthday is just a few days before Mother’s Day, and she does want gifts for that — and receives them for sure.

As for the flower problem, I just heard on the news that there is (wait for it) a scarcity of flowers in the US (along with everything else). That is probably why Pop’s bouquet was skimpy. Still it was misrepresentation, and should be taken up with the credit card company.

toymaker

Reaction score
Floral delivery = biggest rip off going today.

Go to the local grocery store/big box hardware - bouquets for $15-20 at a grocery or buy a potted plant for less and it lives more than a week.

Even if you complain - you will get an offer of a replacement or half the money back likely.

fugazi20

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, sorry to see/hear about that @Pop1655. I don't know if I've just been very lucky or they are lined up with decent places in the area here that do and deliver the flowers. My wife had been using them before, then a year or so ago, I tried them out and usually got better than the picture. Basically, they were always quite nice. I never looked at the reviews, but wonder if there are significant differences in locations (due to the local shops). But that is quite a disappointment.

“no problem, I’ll just call 1-800-flowers”

ordered:

delivered:

That’s sad. I’d have been all over somebody.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
1-800-flowers is not a florist. It is only a company that has contracts with local florists. Some are good and some are bad. Problem is, you never know what you are going to get. We have had bad luck with them and similar floral delivery companies Lately, and did get half our money back (which in that case we thought was fair). We don’t use companies like that for flowers to be delivered in our own locality. Instead, we go direct to a local florist. As it is local and we are local, a local florist has more incentive to do a good job for us, and deliver too.

Last edited:

Pop1655

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was some poor guy trying to make time with my daughter. I feel sorry for him. He was trying to make a splash and had this embarrassment delivered to her work.

Son in law tried the same with Nana for Valentine’s Day. That was the big freeze here. Delivery showed up a week later. They rode out the freeze in a brown truck somewhere. It was laughable.

Olds442

Reaction score
used to work for a florist in HS.

i can make dead flowers look like they were picked today.

the "dead" roses i delivered to GF's moms back in the 80s, well that shit paid off large.

dads hated me even more than they should have.

Latest Threads