PSA: Do NOT play a piece of equipment you are planning on selling

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
I've been wanting a Plexi-style amp for some time, so I decided to sell a couple of amps to help fund it. A Marshall CODE 25 and my Blackstar HT-5RH. Haven't played the Blackstar in ages and it gets little use since the DSL40C and AC15C1 came along. So to make sure everything is still working and to get a nice sellable sound out of it, I plugged it into the 1960a to give it a whirl. 2 hours later and there is no way I'm selling the thing. Nice full sound that makes a good low wattage backup to the DSL40C.

Same thing happened a couple weeks ago. Someone advertised looking for a Bad Monkey pedal and mine had been set aside for months since I got a really good TS808/TS9 clone. So I got it together with its box to clean up, and thought I'd do a quick comparison of it to the clone. Well... it's now back in the pedal chain and won't be sold.

Moral of the story. Do not try what you're wanting to sell. Just sell it.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Moral of the story is.....never sell anything!

edit....I have no problem horse trading or getting stuff with the intent of flipping.....but for my own gear.....practically everything I've ever sold, I regretted selling.

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
Bad Monkey is a very underrated pedal.

At gig volume through a tube amp it sounds really great, actually.
It is. The two-band EQ helps a lot and puts it past being just a TubeScreamer clone. But it has a fairly aggressive buffer. Only thing I don't like about it. So I put it at the front of my pedals and readjusted everything including the amp.

Blackstar amps are great!
They are! The gain on the HT5 come on quick, so a 5751 tamed down the gain a bit at the beginning of the sweep. Now it can do crunch.

Moral of the story is.....never sell anything!
I think that's probably my thinking as well. I don't tend to part with equipment willingly. Best to pull off the bandage fast.

efstop

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blackstar amps are great!
Don't tell me that! There's a used HT-5RS mini-stack for sale at L&M and it's been there on consignment for months. I walk past it every time I go in there to buy something else. I wanna hear that they're junk :D

Left Paw

Reaction score
Or...... I had a Fender Blues Deluxe that hadn't played in almost a year. Advertised it on CL and had interest right away. A guy is on his way over and I decide to plus it in and make sure everything is working okay. Played about 20 seconds then got a lot of static, then burning smell, then smoke out the back. Yeah, no sale that day.

spitfire

Reaction score
Most of us have more gear than we can possible play regularly. We mostly buy new stuff for the novelty of the sound. We play it regularly, and we get used to the sound and tired of it. Put it away for a while and the energy is back.

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
Most of us have more gear than we can possible play regularly. We mostly buy new stuff for the novelty of the sound. We play it regularly, and we get used to the sound and tired of it. Put it away for a while and the energy is back.
That's exactly it. It loses favor for something a bit better, then after a period of absence, the heart grows fonder. And it usually is better than you remember.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Don't tell me that! There's a used HT-5RS mini-stack for sale at L&M and it's been there on consignment for months. I walk past it every time I go in there to buy something else. I wanna hear that they're junk :D
Great little amp. Buy it...

MSB

Reaction score
usually about once a month, I'll pull everything out and play them back and forth continually, so selling them might be bittersweet, but what needs to get done.

thankfully, I've only had to sell because of space, so there are a few I'd like to have back, but don't regret it, per se, as usually sold for more than I paid, which just furthers the addiction.

Imagine if you kept every car you liked... I already need a 4 car garage.

BKS

Reaction score
Or...... I had a Fender Blues Deluxe that hadn't played in almost a year. Advertised it on CL and had interest right away. A guy is on his way over and I decide to plus it in and make sure everything is working okay. Played about 20 seconds then got a lot of static, then burning smell, then smoke out the back. Yeah, no sale that day.
Had something like that happen to my Dean zalinsky tagliare stratocaster. Planned on selling. Just tried it ones....no sound. On full volume on both amp and guitar i get some very clean bedroom volume out of it....

efstop

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've sold or traded all the gear that was worth a damn many years ago, so I'll hold what I have. There's no high end stuff here, just a big variety.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Beat them up on price. Go to antiques electric supply and start rolling tubes (add/subtract clean headroom and so forth). A couple Green Beret's in those cabs would be nice. I play mine through a dual-ported 1x12 with a Green Beret and love it. Mine is the old HT5 (no R or S).

efstop

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beat them up on price. Go to antiques electric supply and start rolling tubes (add/subtract clean headroom and so forth). A couple Green Beret's in those cabs would be nice. I play mine through a dual-ported 1x12 with a Green Beret and love it. Mine is the old HT5 (no R or S).

I got too many amps in my living room now. I'd have to stack the Blackstar cabs on top of the H&K 112 :D

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I got too many amps in my living room now. I'd have to stack the Blackstar cabs on top of the H&K 112 :D
I love the look of those H&K amps...not to be confused with other H&Ks...

Latest Threads