PRS's Truss Rod design

dazzypig

Reaction score
I'm interested in PRS's Truss rods. The are dual action but only take up the same space as a vintage Fender or Gibson rod and they seem to require a flat bed in the neck rather than a curved one.

Does anyone know how to go about producing a rod like this?

I like the SM hotrod idea but am not so keen on the large amount of material to be removed.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D626EeqaqAg]Truss Rod Installation and Fingerboard Glueup - Wood Shop - Neck Team - YouTube[/ame]

melomanarock

Reaction score
It's built the same as the two way rod.
In the two way, the rod is threaded on both ends but one of them is a reverse thread. The rod is applying an excentric load on the flat strip and this causes it to flex. In the PRS style the rod is threaded exactly the same, they are just replacing the flat strip with the neck. A very clever solution.

You could just hack up a double rod and use that. You'd have to make the anchors though.

nuance97

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never seen a PRS truss rod. Very cool! I really like how that works.

ctmullins

Reaction score
I like the double-action rods. StewMac's rod requires a 7/16" deep route. LMII has a similar rod that "only" needs a 3/8" deep route. It's a difference of 1/16", which doesn't sound like a lot, but any little bit helps here. I've never used the StewMac rod, but I've used the LMII rod three times now. I like it.

dazzypig

Reaction score
Have a look at this thread

Ecellent, thanks very much! Sorted.

I wonder why this design isn't used by as many makers as other methods. Seems to have all the benefits of an old school rod and al the benefits of the news rods without any of the niggles from either. Very cool.

bruce bennett

Banned
Reaction score
Dude!:wow:

I GOTTA have me some of those pnuematic clamps!

That TOTALLY solves a problem that I've been haveing.

wonder where I can get one, or have one made?

BTW Stew Mac makes a rod exactly like that.. or at least they used to..

I have one laying right here that I got from them maybe 20 years ago..

I Hate'em. too much trouble to get the anchors perfect by hand... and if you don't, they tear through the slot area.

never mind I just checked Stew mac.. they dont' sell them anymore.

dazzypig

Reaction score
Dude!:wow:

I GOTTA have me some of those pnuematic clamps!

That TOTALLY solves a problem that I've been haveing.

wonder where I can get one, or have one made?

BTW Stew Mac makes a rod exactly like that.. or at least they used to..

I have one laying right here that I got from them maybe 20 years ago..

I Hate'em. too much trouble to get the anchors perfect by hand... and if you don't, they tear through the slot area.

never mind I just checked Stew mac.. they dont' sell them anymore.

I know, the pneumatic f/b clamp right? When I saw it I was like "I ain't gonna need this for like 10-20 years but I want it now! :shock:"

He says it's pretty much like a fire hose that gets pumped up with air, what about something similar with a valve and a portable tyre inflator to provide the pump? :hmm:

geezberry

Reaction score
Allparts sells em. They are dual action truss rods that are low profile and use a straight channel. (like the lmi one)

bruce bennett

Banned
Reaction score
I know, the pneumatic f/b clamp right? When I saw it I was like "I ain't gonna need this for like 10-20 years but I want it now! :shock:"

He says it's pretty much like a fire hose that gets pumped up with air, what about something similar with a valve and a portable tyre inflator to provide the pump? :hmm:

I need one that can do like 10 necks at a time ASAP!

I will say that their method of truss rod installation is pretty slick and simple.

but unless you have CNC precision all the way through the process its not do-able in a small shop enviroment.. At least not for me yet.

I might be able to design something around some old bicycle inner tubes and some heavy canvas. maybe even get hold of some firehose material..

Great!... Now I have ANOTHER machine to design/build/debug.

oh and I really like that free standing Radius jig.. I can totally see adding a couple of like a 50 RPM motors to that and a lead screw from a lathe and making it a "walk away use" fixture.

H.E.L.Shane

Reaction score
Ecellent, thanks very much! Sorted.

I wonder why this design isn't used by as many makers as other methods. Seems to have all the benefits of an old school rod and al the benefits of the news rods without any of the niggles from either. Very cool.

well.. i kida disagree...

I usually use double action rods for various personal and production reasons..

however, a traditional rod in a properly shaped (curved) slot just seems to work better, or maybe more consistantly, thats just my observation, but i belive its due to the curved channel versus relying that the metal in each two-way rod will have the same consistency in each rod and bend at the same place and rate...

I agree with bruce.. the "hybrid" style is just too much of a PITA to use.. at least for me.

Latest Threads