PRS Silver Sky SE Released

rich85

Reaction score
Pics below

Good:
Rosewood board
Bone nut
Pickups appear the same as USA model (maybe wound in Korea?)

Bad:
Colours look like dollar store guitars
Trem is weird looking 2 point vintage
Poplar body is a very soft lightweight wood. The 70’s Classic vibe I had strap buttons would always come loose no matter what.

BD8E65CE-E495-4D08-AC69-AA8A01D1E933.jpeg
039B892A-41F4-46B8-8425-030470FF2F1E.jpeg
6DB39C91-7460-4304-AAC5-3C30DF27F538.jpeg
D58F714B-8850-4432-AB9A-D50474E2469E.jpeg
C4876FEE-3D9E-4334-B524-72CE39E5B639.jpeg

tzd

Reaction score
2 pt Tremolo, 8.5" radius, Poplar body. That's what Paul Smith would have called a Silver Sky-Shaped Object.

rich85

Reaction score
2 pt Tremolo, 8.5" radius, Poplar body. That's what Paul Smith would have called a Silver Sky-Shaped Object.

People are losing their minds as usual.

The poplar body, since it’s a unique cutaway shape, is the worst thing they could have done in my opinion.

It’s the opposite of a mod platform like most Strats. Upgrading the body means it’s uhm.....a buy a different guitar to start with platform.

wildhawk1

Reaction score
I'll bet the price is even more ridiculous than the color names.

rich85

Reaction score
Word is that it will be around $849-869 (Canada dealers are quoting $1099 CAD)

Holy profit margins batman

Squier Classic Vibe at Fender Player Prices

I assume the pickups will be a big part of the sales pitch. Its pretty easy to mass produce one single coil pickup that goes in all 3 positions then ship them to Korea. I just read nothing on the spec sheet that suggests it is worth more than $450 - $500

I was honestly interested in this model. I thought it was going to be very close to the USA Silver Sky with the deep metallic colours just built in Korea so much more affordable. Just wow.

tzd

Reaction score
Holy profit margins batman

Squier Classic Vibe at Fender Player Prices

I assume the pickups will be a big part of the sales pitch. Its pretty easy to mass produce one single coil pickup that goes in all 3 positions then ship them to Korea. I just read nothing on the spec sheet that suggests it is worth more than $450 - $500

I was honestly interested in this model. I thought it was going to be very close to the USA Silver Sky with the deep metallic colours just built in Korea so much more affordable. Just wow.

1. It will be Indonesia, not Korea

2. Given the 'S' suffix to the pickup name, the pickups are likely 'wound to specs' in Indonesia itself.

rich85

Reaction score
1. It will be Indonesia, not Korea

2. Given the 'S' suffix to the pickup name, the pickups are likely 'wound to specs' in Indonesia itself.

Oh true I assumed the S just meant Singlecoil but yeah its not on the USA Silver Sky models

Well then, holy mega insane profit margins batman..........

This will be fun to watch the Andertons etc sales pitch videos of the most over priced guitar on the market

wildhawk1

Reaction score
A pine body $450 Classic Vibe with the best mod platform around or a poplar body $850 SE...:hmm:

Dolebludger

Reaction score
I’m a big PRS SE fan, but I’m totally disappointed in this guitar, and it’s predicted price. I never met a poplar bodied guitar that I liked. To me PRS guitars should look like PRS guitars — not crappy Fender knock-offs.

fry

Reaction score
It’s the strangest thing, I have never liked the PRS pointy headstock. I think it’s just unimaginative and ugly. On these Silver Sky models, it’s the same thing in reverse, and I don’t mind it at all, I kind of like it.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
It’s the strangest thing, I have never liked the PRS pointy headstock. I think it’s just unimaginative and ugly. On these Silver Sky models, it’s the same thing in reverse, and I don’t mind it at all, I kind of like it.
Those strange PRS headstocks do serve a purpose. They allow the strings to cross the nut pretty straight — not at an angle. This helps with tuning stability. In contrast, the shape of Gibsons;s more attractive headstocks require the strings to cross the nut at an angle. = less tuning stability. So the question i what do you prefer — form ot function?

fry

Reaction score
Those strange PRS headstocks do serve a purpose. They allow the strings to cross the nut pretty straight — not at an angle. This helps with tuning stability. In contrast, the shape of Gibsons;s more attractive headstocks require the strings to cross the nut at an angle. = less tuning stability. So the question i what do you prefer — form ot function?
Yeah, I saw a YouTube video where a guy explained what a terrible design the Gibson headstock is. It doesn’t make sense, completely impractical. He also said that the purists would scream their heads off if Gibson tried to correct it, which is 100% correct. I have to admit, I do like the classic look of the Gibson, and just learned to live with it like most people. PRS isn’t terrible, I guess. There are many worse, and a bad headstock is a dealbreaker for me, no matter how nice the guitar is.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
The Gibson design headstock can be made to function quite well. But that requires proper filing of the nut slots, which requires some artistry. But they look nice indeed. Also the mass of the Gibson headstock causes neck dive in some of their light bodied guitars — like the SG.

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
prolly sounds sterile

moreles

Reaction score
To me, those are not visually appealing guitars -- and I like the Silver Sky a lot. These remind me of a really cheap Samiock S-type I repaired for a kid. Everything about it, starting with basic appearance, just looked dull. The colors, the edges of all parts... honestl;y, it looks like a cheap[ imitation Silver Sky, made poorly, and somehow devoid of anything particularl;y attractive. I'm glad I won't be tempted to purcxhase one. Fender pulled off the MIM/MIA product lines without really making the MIMs come across as cheesy, but these Silver Skys look cheap -- they even make me think twice about my liking the MIA "real" ones! No interest. These are not the droids I am looking for.

Latest Threads