PRS SE Content.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
I haven’t played much in about ten months because I screwed up my picking hand (right). Then I got a few new FX that I use sparingly. Then I tried things out on all of my guitars — all twelve including a real 61 Gibson LP SG Standard, Carvins, Epis, Strats, Teles and everything — from the standpoint of “beginning again”. Those of you who have ever had to be a “new beginner” know that when you start playing again, you really find out which of your guitars is REALLY the most comfortable and easy to play. And I have an unexpected winner! A 2012 PRS SE “Orianthi“ model. 2012 was the first and final year for this exact model. Earlier years off this model had a rather flat top with a cheesy red painted sparkle finish. I don’t know much about those other than that. But the 2012 model has a mahogany body with a thick maple cap with a flamed maple veneer over that. It has a “wide - thin“ neck that isn’t very wide but is very thin. It has a set maple neck with a real ebony fretboard. It has two medium output pups, single volume and tone knobs, and coil split. And now (after a playing break) I can see it is the best I have for me.

Unfortunately, after the 2012 model, PRS discontinued the “Orianthi SE“ model. After that, she began endorsing for Fretlite guitars, so I guess the discontinuation of this PRS model was due to contractual matters. The closest SE model to mine that PRS now makes is the Custom 24, which is pretty close, but lacks the ebony board. Haven’t played a Custom 24, but I bet it is great also. I’d just miss the ebony board.

It is strange (perhaps) that a guitar for which I paid $709 new back in 2012 is better for me than my guitars that (even used) have a much higher market value. But it’s true.

akuster777

Reaction score
nice! I just picked up a 2006 Tremonti SE cheap from Craigslist today, and the neck is intriguingly comfortable, although this neck is wide and not thin, but not too thick.

did you keep the stock pickups on your Orianthi SE?

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Yes, I believe the Tremonti has what PRS calls a “wide - thick” neck. Many players prefer thick necks because the have large hands and fingers. That is fine for them, but I don’t. And compared to mt]y other guitars, my SE has a narrow neck.

tzd

Reaction score
The closest SE model to mine that PRS now makes is the Custom 24, which is pretty close, but lacks the ebony board. Haven’t played a Custom 24, but I bet it is great also. I’d just miss the ebony board.
There used to be a Custom 24 SE model with Ebony board in the recent past.

Guitar Center sells an exclusive version called PRS SE Custom 24 Limited Edition Cherry Sunburst . It used to be made in Korea by World Musical Instruments and had an ebony board with binding, until about 1 year ago when manufacture switched to Cor-Tek Indonesia and fingerboard changed to Rosewood. However, even the rosewood boards are exceptionally dark and look like ebony.

The Korean version has the big 'SE' on the headstock without the Paul Reed Smith signature logo, whereas the Indonesian model has the Paul Reed Smith signature on the headstock.

I get to play it quite a lot at my local GC, somehow the neck on this model feels better than any other SE model I've played. I myself own an SE Floyd model and the neck does not feel as good as this one, although they are both supposed to be the same Wide-Thin profile

Dolebludger

Reaction score
tzd,

Thanks for the info. I confess that I haven't followed all developments with the CU 24, My PRS was made in Korea, and I did not know they had switched to Indonesia. I'll bet the quality is still good. As for the rosewood boards on the CU 24, if they are tight grained, I'll bet they are fine too.

Reactions: tzd

joff

Reaction score
I just bought my daughter a new PRS SE 24 Custom with a roasted maple neck and fretboard for her Birthday...lovely guitar with a Wide Thin neck...Korean built...85/15 pickups...coil-split on tone knob...normally £799 but i got this with a 25% discount at only £599 (Peach Guitars, UK)...it looks, feels and plays great...bargain!

IMG_2461.jpg

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Your daughter got a great guitar! And you are a great dad!

If I had my SE 61 years ago when I first started learning, you would know my name well now.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Things can change over time. I'm now finding, especially in the winter, with my arthritis that I like big necks. I never used to. So I have a couple of guitars with big necks.

I also like a round neck. I have one with flat D that I might pass on.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
I don’t know foe sure, but I think my SE has a slim C neck. I will never know for sure as PRS merely labeled it a “wide - thin”.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
nice! I just picked up a 2006 Tremonti SE cheap from Craigslist today, and the neck is intriguingly comfortable, although this neck is wide and not thin, but not too thick.

did you keep the stock pickups on your Orianthi SE?
Sorry for the late reply, but yes, I have kept the stock pups. They are fine for what I play. I haven’t measured their output, but just by ear, I think they are in the medium output range.

akuster777

Reaction score
I was on the edge of leaving the stock pups, then I completely rewired it with a SD 59 neck w an A3 magnet and a SD custom 5 bridge. wow that sounds good to me!

Also I made the knob positions Gibson style with vols to the left and tones to the right. The PRS way confused me completely, especially switching back to playing a Gibson.

I still love the SE wide thick neck, except it's just a smidge hefty for me just by the headstock.

BTW what's your opinion about the asymmetrical profile necks on LP Standards? And how do those 2015 wide necks feel to you?

Best,

Andrew

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Andrew,

Sorry, but i don’t own, and have never played, either an LP Standard or a 2015 model thereof. Thus, I don’t directly have an answer. But I do have a real 1961 Gibson SG LP Standard which has a very wide neck. I feel it is too wide for me. But I bought it new in ‘61, and we didn’t have many choices back then. I also have an ‘09 Epi 56 Goldtop P90 — a pretty good copy of the real Gibson ‘56. The neck isn’t wide but is pretty thick (as was the neck on the real ‘56 Gibson I played for a while back then). Though it is not the best neck carve for me, I get on with it better than a wide neck. And it does feel like the ‘56 Gibson of which it is a copy — only a bit better.

Last edited:

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Also, instead of changing pups or electronics, I did change out the Strat type trem block for a milled brass one. Then I bought a trem blocker and locked the brass trem blocker to the guitar body out of sight in the trem cavity. That improved the part of “tone” I wanted improved. As I understand it, the Tremonti is a single cut with the same trem as on my SE, so this mod might work on yours. I think the $5 trem blocker caused the most improvement. I like my SE’s two knob controls, pull out tone knob for single coil, and three way pup switch. However, we all have our own preferences in this regard.

akuster777

Reaction score
Mine's a 2006 Tremonti SE Standard, so no trem, and an all mahogany body. This one has a glam platinum vibe, I added amber knobs and switch tip and Gibson cream plastcs.

Looking at the guitar body straight on with the neck up, the four knobs originally were:

n vol
.........n tone
b vol
.........b tone

That configuration didn't work for me.

Pic:

20200310_211622.jpg

Pics of your Orianthi please!

Dolebludger

Reaction score
I also remember reading a magazine article about Orianthi and the guitar model bearing her name. She claimed that she had the neck carve designed to “fit” the smaller hands of women and girls, that is thinner and more narrow. I don’t know, as I haven’t measured the neck on my guitar with those, say, on CU 24s. But as I have fairly small hands and fingers, it fits me just fine. If so, I have no issue with playing a guitar designed for women and girls — because I like women and girls!

My guitar is less burgundy and more actual red than the picture shows.

i just wish PRS still made this model, just like the 2012.

Latest Threads