PRS S2 594 vs S2 Custom 24

C Squared

Reaction score
So right around the time my daughter turned 2 we had stopped at GC to grab strings and maybe grab her a little tambourine or drum. She found a pink PRS SE with a whammy and loved it so we brought it home. Since then I've been looking for something that sort of matches to have a Daddy Daughter set so naturally looking for something blue.

This popped up as whale blue. Drives me crazy that manufacturers can't seem to understand blue is supposed to be blue, not midnight black in almost all lightning conditions. Anyway, neck isn't bad, tuners suck, frets need some polishing, and the switch is in the correct location. Hoping to get more playtime on it this weekend. Got 30 days. Top has some character in the right light.
vgc prs.jpg
594 2.jpg
594 1.jpg

Last edited:

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That's awesome! Gotta start 'em young. My kids have had their own guitars since well before they could even hold them properly.

Congrats on the new axe!

THAWK819

Reaction score
You may find yourself really pleasantly surprised by that McCarty .594 too. I was almost exclusively an LP player until I got mine. The scale length, neck carve, and pickups are contributing factors to it becoming my undisputed favorite. The pickups in the S2 line might be slightly different, but the demo vids all sound really nice.

Last edited:

Dolebludger

Reaction score
I have several guitars, and my favorites are PRS SEs with wide thin necks. If there is a tuner problem with slippage, there are small Phillips head screws at the ends of the keys, tighten them. Cures the problem. If there is a problem with rough fret ends diamond files and 1500 sandpaper fixes that quickly.

C Squared

Reaction score
You may find yourself really pleasantly surprised by that McCarty .594 too. I was almost exclusively an LP player until I got mine. The scale length, neck carve, and pickups are contributing factors to it becoming my undisputed favorite. The pickups in the S2 line might be slightly different, but the demo vids all sound really nice.
The S2 pickups are definitely not the same as a core. OK at best, but the neck pickup is on the hollow side. Neck is OK. My number 1 and number 2 right now are both LPs with compound radius and asymmetrical profiles.

C Squared

Reaction score
I have several guitars, and my favorites are PRS SEs with wide thin necks. If there is a tuner problem with slippage, there are small Phillips head screws at the ends of the keys, tighten them. Cures the problem. If there is a problem with rough fret ends diamond files and 1500 sandpaper fixes that quickly.
The pink SE we picked up sounds great and plays very well.
The S2 i purchased different animal. Tuners are vintage style (no adjustments). I usually go with Hipshot on everything. Frets are easy enough to fix, though this being a used 2020 model and the frets are already worn across the first 3 with no crown left, rough spots above 17 and especially at 11, not sure if I want to keep this one. It's an OK guitar. But will require an investment of time and money, and honestly not sure if the neck and the tonal qualities of the instrument are for me.

C Squared

Reaction score
Round 2
Custom 24 arrives.
Once again disappointed on arrival. Both were used being advertised as excellent with gig bag. I like the S2 bags, the 594 showed up wrapped in bubblewrap, no case candy. This one arrived in proper bag, all candy and wrenches, and a giant chunk of finish missing along with a lot of buckle rash.

To keep things fair, both were strung up and intonation was adjusted with a new set of EB 10s. Both got set with medium low action.

So for me personally based on years of playing, I prefer the switch up top and prefer the control of at least 2 volumes. So it would have seemed the 594 would win easy. The control layout is quite easy to navigate coming from decades of playing Les Pauls. But the Custom 24 is closer to my daughter's, gives me 24 frets (something that I don't currently have at all) and a trem (which I usually hate but on occasion can be fun). The 24 has better tuners.The neck on the 24 is preferred, it's slim without being Ibanez Wizard slim. The 594 is OK, right on the verge of becoming too chunky for me. I do prefer the thicker body of the 594, and the extra wood you can feel and hear on the bottom. Tonally, Victoria's pink one blows both of these away. That import pink guitar is exceptionally balanced and sings for days. Neither can be said of these. The 24 doesn't sound bad and is fairly balanced with a little extra chime on top. The 594 hits like a hammer and has great sustain, but on the border of being muddy. Both are exceptionally dark blue with nice tops that pop in certain light, but usually, sadly, look black in most light.

Both should get a workout this week. I have about 2 hrs to myself this Thursday. One of both will go back on Sat.
dual 1.jpg
dual 2.jpg
dual 3.jpg
dual 4.jpg
265621931_4337660349696641_5963356138939394916_n.jpg

Last edited:

tzd

Reaction score
I tried both the S2 594 Double-Cut as well as Single-Cut. Neither feels like a Gibson neck, and the SIngle-Cut is damn heavy. I think the S2 594 Thinline will feel better but I haven't found one in any local store to try yet.

My pet peeve with the Custom 24 design is that the tremolo arm gets in the way of reaching the tone knob and pickup switch.

THAWK819

Reaction score
Hmmm; for the prices on those S2 instruments it sounds like they fall a little too far behind the consistent quality of the core lines.

I know my view of the McCarty .594 is tainted overly positive because the one I got is from a special run with a Brazilian Rosewood fingerboard and a satin, full rosewood neck. It's the asymmetrical, pattern vintage carve and it's by far the fastest and most comfortable neck I've ever everplayed on. All this combined with the 58/15 LT pickups just seems to combine to make the neck pickup sound just right in terms of warm, thick tone, without getting muddy.

I suspect if I had opted for even a normal core model, I'd like it, but probably not quite as much as I love this one.

You might want to check out an SE or S2 Paul's Guitar model.

It comes in a blue that should never look anything but blue, and the SE ones I've tried (2 different ones in different stores) both played and sounded really nice. The downside is that the selector and tone/volume controls are about as oppositie a Les Paul as they could possibly be.

C Squared

Reaction score
Hmmm; for the prices on those S2 instruments it sounds like they fall a little too far behind the consistent quality of the core lines.

I know my view of the McCarty .594 is tainted overly positive because the one I got is from a special run with a Brazilian Rosewood fingerboard and a satin, full rosewood neck. It's the asymmetrical, pattern vintage carve and it's by far the fastest and most comfortable neck I've ever everplayed on. All this combined with the 58/15 LT pickups just seems to combine to make the neck pickup sound just right in terms of warm, thick tone, without getting muddy.

I suspect if I had opted for even a normal core model, I'd like it, but probably not quite as much as I love this one.

You might want to check out an SE or S2 Paul's Guitar model.

It comes in a blue that should never look anything but blue, and the SE ones I've tried (2 different ones in different stores) both played and sounded really nice. The downside is that the selector and tone/volume controls are about as oppositie a Les Paul as they could possibly be.
Both of these were used found from GC online. I am generally not a fan of online purchases, but when I can return them to a store within 30 days and not have to worry about shipping it back or you bought it you own it I'll sometimes take a chance, especially for the price. In these cases both S2 models were $500 off vs new.

I go back and forth now the last few days, but leaning towards the 594

Have one more inbound, this one new from Wildwood

21S2052119_lg1.jpg

truckermde

Reaction score
Nice! I like the one you chose. That's no S2. :thumb:

I like the idea of the S2 line, but they simply aren't as nice as the SE line, IME.

Core is the way to go, IMHO.

HNGD! As a dad, I love Daddy/Daughter stuff ...

:cheers2:

C Squared

Reaction score
Nice! I like the one you chose. That's no S2. :thumb:

I like the idea of the S2 line, but they simply aren't as nice as the SE line, IME.

Core is the way to go, IMHO.

HNGD! As a dad, I love Daddy/Daughter stuff ...

:cheers2:
Yup S2
1 of 5. They custom ordered 7 colors with ebony boards and quilt tops for the 35th anniversary run. I got the last Matteo Blue. Nice neck, 24 frets, definitely BLUE, and weighs in at 7lbs 4 oz.

truckermde

Reaction score
Yup S2
1 of 5. They custom ordered 7 colors with ebony boards and quilt tops for the 35th anniversary run. I got the last Matteo Blue. Nice neck, 24 frets, definitely BLUE, and weighs in at 7lbs 4 oz.
Awesome!

More proof that guitars are individuals, and you just have to try them!

Again, HNGD :)

THAWK819

Reaction score
By the switches I'm guessing that's the Paul's Guitar model (or Custom 24 maybe)? You scored; that's a much nicer looking top than you typically see on an S2 and equipped with an ebony board; I don't think the core line PG even has that.

How do like the pickups in it? And what other colors did they have?

1neeto

Reaction score
The S2 Standard 22 I used to own was well put together. The tuners are the same as the cores, so I’m surprised yours were crap. The pickups are the same as SE’s Korean-made. Adequate, but nothing special. Overall fit and finish surpasses my Studio by quite a bit.
But I couldn’t stand how it wanted to fall off my leg (neck raise) when playing while sitting.

8kRs55i.jpg

a beauty for sure, and with the JB/Jazz pups, she could do anything.

Latest Threads