PRS / Les paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

les paul sound

Reaction score
hello
which PRS model can approach the sound of a les paul?.

PRS 513
studio
PRS S2?
custom 22, 24 ?

Drew1986

Reaction score
This is my 2 cents being a past R8 owner and a current PRS 408 owner. A PRS doesn't do a LP tone. Some come close, probably a SC or McCarty with 57/08 pickups is the closest. BUT at the end of the day a PRS does not sound like a Gibson. Much in the same way a Fender doesn't sound like a Gibson. PRS is a completely different tone. Some say better, some say worse...but different.

In my honest opinion if you want a guitar that sounds like a Les Paul....Buy a Les Paul! If you want something that does a little bit Gibson, a little bit Fender, all while being it's own thing...get a PRS! I love mine.

les paul sound

Reaction score
if a PRS has not the les paul sound

and not a Strat sound

the only thing that i would like would be the double cut

dennistruckdriver

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I don't believe there is a Les Paul with all the features you say you desire. I think there are some Les Paul doublecut models with 24 frets, however.

Deus Vult

Reaction score
Singlecut will get you most of the way. But even with WCRs, my SC245 doesn't sound like my R8 when played back to back.

djjagdish

Reaction score
My Tremonti gets pretty darn close at times...but I wouldn't want it to sound 100% like a Les Paul, I want it to sound like a PRS.

Insanegoldfish

Reaction score
I have a les paul plus some PRS made guitars. They all sound different. But I must say, the PRS are more comfortable, no matter which one I pick! But as some have said, some don't like the PRS tone. I personally love it. It's why I have 3 and only one LP :)

Farquad

Reaction score
I would say a 408. You do mention that you want 24 frets (which is pretty much knocking the neck pup out of anything close to LP sound), but you also mention a custom 22 in your list. confused. Anyway, a 22 fret model (which the 408 is) will help get you close.
You wont get an exact sound, but with enough dirt through the amp, you'd probably not notice the differences.

rabidhamster

Reaction score
The new sc245 or stripped 58 sounds like a les paul but plays way way better. Stoptail instead of wraparound too.
The original sc245 was weight relieved and sounds closer to like a chambered gibson LP, ie, not like a les paul.

Most of the 24.5 PRS get reasonably close to right on the money LP tones if you give it half a try.

Tiboy

Reaction score
I had a stripped 58 PRS. I thought it close to a LP sound. Then I got an R9 and now have the LP sound. I have a PRS and have had as many as 4. All great guitars with exceptional playability, etc. But I gave up trying to get the LP sound from them. They don't do it 100% and they don't try to.

M@nChild

Banned
Reaction score
I get my PRS SE Santana pretty damn close to LP like tones.. OR as best as i can... Never had an issue getting in the desired tone ballpark .. Especially With my RD-59 Hybrids..

David Mccarroll

Reaction score
Just bought a PRS SE Bernie Marsden from Tom Lees in Hong Kong for $533AUD (well, the local equivalent) - I am embarrassed to admit that this guitar sounds to me pretty much on par with my Historic Makeovers rebuilt Custom Shop Les Pauls - God, the money I could have saved ..........

Status
Not open for further replies.