PRS John Mayer Silver Sky somethingocaster

jkes01

Reaction score
Apparently he has already decided to split ways with PRS...

RbixZWw.jpg

:io:

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Well, since PRS basically copped his designs from both Fender and Gibson, this is no surprise.

Never did care for the looks of PRS guitars, and this one especially so.

JodanOrNoDan

Reaction score
Like him or not John can play. I have heard some comparison tests between the PRS and the Fender custom. I still don't know if I like how the PRS looks however if my primary sound was still Fender I would be all over this thing. It sounds good and it is a lot of guitar for the money. My wife caught me drooling over it and told me "you said you were not buying any more". So I will not have one until I come up with some ridiculous reason, but she is right, I don't play my strats that often and I don't need another.

freebyrd 69

Reaction score
PRS has tried MANY times over the years to introduce their OWN strat-style guitar to the market. It never seems to make it because it's not "strat enough".

That's the problem with ALL PRS guitars....they ain't Strat enough, and they ain't Les Paul enough.......maybe THAT is why I kind of like this one......

PermissionToLand

Reaction score

Wow, the Fender sounds significantly better, even in a crappy Youtube video.

I think people are being ridiculous about this guitar; John asked them to make a Strat copy for him and they did. The issue IMO is not that they copied a Strat with few changes, the issue is that they didn't actually succeed in making a Strat as good as the real deal, never mind better.

I'm actually surprised so many people here are attacking PRS for making a copy, while appreciating Japanese LP copies...

Reactions: mmd

tolm

Bigsby Junkie
Reaction score
I don't think most folks have an issue with PRS making a Strat copy ... it's the pomp and circumstance over the "2 years of R&D" "based on the best 62-64 vintage three pickup guitars" "this guitar is so amazing and has so many unique features" that's been made about it.

It's not cutting edge. Yes, it may have had 2 years of R&D to tweak certain features but .... it's a goddamn Strat. I've actually read some interviews with John now where he says "look, I've played a Strat for so long it just didn't make sense to look down and see any other shape" and I'm much more okay with that level of honesty that the marketing rubbish that they spewed on release.

And I still think a tweaked version of the NF3 would have been more in keeping with the PRS ethos whilst it could also have been very close to a Strat in feel/tone.

mmd

Reaction score
And I still think a tweaked version of the NF3 would have been more in keeping with the PRS ethos whilst it could also have been very close to a Strat in feel/tone.

I sold my SAS NF because it was too stratty.

CaptainT

Reaction score
Mayer and PRS missed a grand opportunity here. Come on man!

That´s your opinion. But go around and ask your dealer. Those guitars are sold out already and you have to wait for the next batch:)

So from a business perspective PRS did everything right and they couldn´t care less about our opinions.

I too thought it was a total rip-off of a Fender design, but it is a great sounding guitar for a fair price, so I don´t care anymore. I really start getting GAS for that thing, especially after seeing Tim Pierce´s video. Regarding the details, this guitar is a great improvement to the original. I actually consider buying this thing at the end of the year or maybe next year.

or this German video. I really dig the tone

It is a great sounding guitar. Nuff said:)

Cheers,

Thorsten

mmd

Reaction score
That´s your opinion. But go around and ask your dealer. Those guitars are sold out already and you have to wait for the next batch:)

So from a business perspective PRS did everything right and they couldn´t care less about our opinions.

I too thought it was a total rip-off of a Fender design, but it is a great sounding guitar for a fair price, so I don´t care anymore. I really start getting GAS for that thing, especially after seeing Tim Pierce´s video. Regarding the details, this guitar is a great improvement to the original. I actually consider buying this thing at the end of the year or maybe next year.

or this German video. I really dig the tone

It is a great sounding guitar. Nuff said:)

Cheers,

Thorsten

It's funny you mention these two videos, Thorsten. I HATE strats, but the more I look at the Silver Sky and I watch these videos the more I want one. Down the road I probably will, at least, TRY one - most likely I will buy if PRS offers different (better for me, i.e., lake placid blue) colors. For now, I am just hanging back playing the PRS' I already own and having a blast!!

CaptainT

Reaction score
@mmd I want the white one as it reminds me of Excalibur from Wayne's World, the guitar that made me want to play guitar:)

CaptainT

Reaction score
@mmd Mark I was never into Strats. Then Joe Bonamassa published his "Live at the Greek Theatre" DVD. I am a huge Bonamassa fan and I know many people don´t like him.

But the tone he gets out of his Strat in this video (watch the full length, I really love the solo) blew me away. Strat + 2x Fender 59 Twins + 2x 59 Bassman and a Way Huge Overrated Special Pedal.

Since I saw this I totally changed my opinion regarding Strats:)

Cheers,

Thorsten

moreles

Reaction score
I'd like to weigh in and tell everyone how to think and what to want. Just kidding. I honestly don't understand the either/or thinking and absolutism evident in many of these posts. It's totally possible that this can be an excellently-built guitar while also lacking any shred of originality. It may well play like the wind and sound like a dream, while being a nearly complete visual rip-off except for a crap headstock. Buy it if it appeals to you, and don't if it doesn't. But let's not pretend that just because it's a fine playing instrument that it represents any great achievement by PRS, because it remains a disgraceful copy. On the other hand, maybe people don't want to have to drop cash for a Custom Shop Fender in order to get really good build quality, and thus prefer PRS. This "new" "PRS" is clearly a mashup with aspects that are great and others that are lame.

JodanOrNoDan

Reaction score
Like him or not John can play. I have heard some comparison tests between the PRS and the Fender custom. I still don't know if I like how the PRS looks however if my primary sound was still Fender I would be all over this thing. It sounds good and it is a lot of guitar for the money. My wife caught me drooling over it and told me "you said you were not buying any more". So I will not have one until I come up with some ridiculous reason, but she is right, I don't play my strats that often and I don't need another.

Well, the drooling finally paid off. I think my wife ordered one for me as a "surprise". If she actually did, I will do my own head to head review.

hbucker

Reaction score
I'd like to weigh in and tell everyone how to think and what to want. Just kidding. I honestly don't understand the either/or thinking and absolutism evident in many of these posts. It's totally possible that this can be an excellently-built guitar while also lacking any shred of originality. It may well play like the wind and sound like a dream, while being a nearly complete visual rip-off except for a crap headstock. Buy it if it appeals to you, and don't if it doesn't. But let's not pretend that just because it's a fine playing instrument that it represents any great achievement by PRS, because it remains a disgraceful copy. On the other hand, maybe people don't want to have to drop cash for a Custom Shop Fender in order to get really good build quality, and thus prefer PRS. This "new" "PRS" is clearly a mashup with aspects that are great and others that are lame.

Agreed. I would be shocked if it didn't sound, play, and feel very nice. It it's your cup of tea, please buy a hundred of them. I would have no problem with these becoming everyone's favorite Strat.

After decades of the phenomenon, I think a lot of us have reached "Strat copy" saturation. So many Strat copies by different companies through the years (even by Fender who has produced hundreds of their own versions and artist models) have kind of made us bored with most of them. Especially with the idea marketed to us of, "Check out this brand new Strat that's like nothing else..."

From a visual design standpoint this PRS seems so uninspired. Subtle tweaks that still amount to yet another Strat copy. On the surface, these tweaks seem a bit like Vanilla Ice trying to sell us on the idea that his sample of Under Pressure is "not the same."

But by all means, please go buy one.

Nickzephead92

Reaction score
The Silver Sky is not just another "Strat copy." Paul really knows what he is doing. He took a Stratocaster and made improvements based on his philosophies, and what he has learned in his decades of guitar building. The jack plate, switch tip, pickups, neck shape, new headstock design, knobs, subtle changes to the pickguard design, and signature PRS scooped cutout on the treble side horn are PRS through and through. This is Paul and John's collaborative design to make John a Strat type guitar but with a PRS twist. It is hard for any company to come up with a design that is similar to a classic and make modern, player friendly improvements. John Mayer is a Strat guy when it all boils down to it. He formed a relationship with Paul, and what would you expect? This is a great guitar and if you haven't tried it, don't knock it. I love Stratocasters and PRS guitars both, but I'll tell you, this thing is player friendly and perfect. There is only so much that you can do when working in the parameters of a classic design, and Paul did an outstanding job!

Filipem

Reaction score
The only beef I have with guitar is the fact that they sold so many that it's going to delay mine. I ordered a custom 24 and was told by my dealer that it was going to be a while before I see my guitar because they sold so many of these. At least that is what he was told by prs.

disaffected

Reaction score
I kinda share the yawn opinion. Throw PRS on the pile of strat copies to try when you want a strat. Whether it is LsL, Anderson, Suhr, Friedman, or some partscasters, it seems like there are countless versions. At this point is strat history, I am not sure what you gain with another strat copy in the long run. I kinda liked that PRS sorta blazed their own trail at first. But this does little of that. Crowded market.

59noob

Reaction score
I just got mine and it's really a great guitar. I have three pre-CBS Strats and countless other Strat type guitars but the Silver Sky approaches vintage Strat territory in terms of sound and feel, but in a modern package, more so than even my Fender Custom Shop guitars. And, it's cheaper then a Fender Custom Shop!

It's light, under 7lbs, and very comfortable to play. It's rare to find a very well made, but middle priced, modern guitar that boasts vintage features like 7.25" radius and skinny frets, a truly vintage type neck profile, and make it work so well without any setup issues. It plays better than a new Strat right out of the box.

Last edited:

Latest Threads