PRS HX (Hendrix) Amplifiers

fry

Reaction score
Anybody checking these out? I guess Paul and his main amp guy got access to one of Jimi’s actual touring Marshall heads and took notes. They basically recreated an updated version of it, and kinda looks like they did a pretty good job nailing the sound. It’s way above my skill level, and way outside my budget, but curious what people are thinking about it.

Arkog

Reaction score
Thanks. The prices: The PRS HX50's list price is $2,900, HX100 is $3,150. The HX 2x12 cab $899 and the 4x12 $1,199. More info at PRS Guitars.

Here is video about the process of development. There are pics of the amp opened at the museum:

Hecubus

Reaction score
For that price, why not just buy the Marshall Special Edition? Marshall already did this with the 100JH 15 years ago. Even the Ceriatone is a more faithful reproduction at less than half the cost. Cool amp, just seems redundant with what is already out there. Plus, the Authentic Hendrix branding turns me off. I get flashbacks of the Gibson Hendrix Strat.

Plus, plus, I'm pretty sure the original amp used KT66s.

fry

Reaction score
I get flashbacks of the Gibson Hendrix Strat.
That is exactly what popped into my head, and what I thought might be some peoples’ reaction. Gibson put out a Hendrix SG and Flying V not too long ago, and people even frowned at that. PRS is making Strats now, I guess why not make Marshalls too?

E.X

Reaction score
I don't know about the amp (all i could offer is platitudes), but i do know PRS needs to:

i) Seriously upgrade their recording equipment (or school whomever is doing the work on it), few videos in a row now that it noticeably does them a disservice.

ii) Use the right type of person for the right kind of product. Brian E.? Just isn't it. Reserve him for snoozefests.

iii) Optionally, have a look at that stock speaker in their cabinet, see if maybe, just maybe, something else would serve better.

wildhawk1

Reaction score
Thankfully my brain has always stopped my wallet from playing the name association game with gear.

The equivalent of here's a cloned Hank Aaron bat or Wayne Gretzky hockey stick modeled off the original that will improve your performance.

:hmm:

Last edited:

Cjsinla

Reaction score
Seems like he was playing with much more distortion than Hendrix usually did. Wasn’t that great sounding to me, seemed flubby and fuzzy.

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It ought to be really good cause PRS loaded the Hendrix tone right into the amp

rich85

Reaction score
People listen with their eyes.

If you turn up to a gig with a JTM45 and a 4x12 with Greenbacks and start playing Hendrix, people will say how you nailed the tone.

Play a gig with a generic looking PRS amp and Silver Sky and people will ask what amp is that it sounds pretty close.

Latest Threads