PRS...Are they the Best??

trmckn

Reaction score
Yeah, that gold-top's gotta go. Being able to see the wood-grain is so much more appealing. :)

At least you didn't call it fat! She does have a bit of a pot belly...

Gotta say, as much as I love vintage (or any) Les Pauls, these new PRS's are really something. The pickups on the Signature Limiteds are special I think....

Iron Broadsword

Reaction score
My PRS singlecut standard is the only guitar I will ever need, or want. It does everything excellently and provides my dream tones!

Yeah, I didn't join this forum to talk about les pauls. :p

Banned
Reaction score
Never liked them much. I know a guy in Fort Worth who loves them and Tom Johnston from the Doobies plays them, but for me, I'm a Tele guy first, I slide on a Strat and play a Lester. The Tele goes in the oven with me when I die.

Orjazzm

Reaction score
Can't we all just get along:naughty:
3tops-2.jpg

I like that gold top! Crazy maple tops don't do it for me these day, I'm numbed from working for Paul Smith over the last 7 years. Hell, I'm building an opague 305 as we speak :) I have a few fancy PRS' and I want an ugly player's guitar now to shut everyone up about the "too nice" PRS look.

Funny how you have a real high grade top PRS and then that Gibson top has a completely dead plank through the middle, makes it look like alder. I say... hardcore. Nice guitars all around. I pissed I can't build a triple soapbar like we offered last year.

trmckn

Reaction score
Hell, I'm building an opague 305 as we speak :) I have a few fancy PRS' and I want an ugly player's guitar now to shut everyone up about the "too nice" PRS look.

I pissed I can't build a triple soapbar like we offered last year.

Cool! Triple soapbar would be neat. Didn't even know they were available...

Reaction score
Considering purchasing an SE Custom 24 next. From what I've read through various forums, the SE's are really, really nice guitars. I'm definitely a Fender and Gibson man, but wouldn't have a problem with a PRS to go along with my other "black sheep" children...Gretsch, and Danelectro.

So What

Reaction score
This speaks volumes that people get so upset about the PRS following. I can't think of any other company that people actually hold grudges against at a nearly personal level based on other people LIKING them a lot.

Dude, you should go over to the thread "Differences between Custom Shop and production" and read the comments made by a member calling himself "Lysol". He absolutely hates Gibson Custom Shop Historic Reissues, and anyone who owns one. We went round and round about it, until I finally got tired of it.

I do think it is crazy that we all get so worked up about which guitar is best or worst.

I think that the next time one of us starts getting that serious about a posting, we should turn off the computer, and pick up our favorite guitar and play for a while.

It would do us all some good, and would be a hell of a lot more productive.

my 2 cents...:thumb:

Orjazzm

Reaction score
I do think it is crazy that we all get so worked up about which guitar is best or worst.

I think that the next time one of us starts getting that serious about a posting, we should turn off the computer, and pick up our favorite guitar and play for a while.

It would do us all some good, and would be a hell of a lot more productive.

my 2 cents...:thumb:

Haha, right?! Oh my god this post made me so mad!! Good thing I have this Standard 22 in a stand next to my desk. :naughty: I think I'll play it for a while.

Yup, that was surely more productive than complaining about something I don't even own.

TKOjams

Reaction score
The best? no. One of the best? Hell yeah!!

There is no, "best"

Orjazzm

Reaction score
Um.... hells yea! Trust me, everyone here at PRS wants people to do exactly what you are doing to that thing. Beat the f*ckin hell out of it. make that thing your sound slave.

My old boss (head of QC dept) has a Mira X that he was given to put it through the paces. He uses it (the body) for the occasional crash symbol slam during shows. The thing looks like it went through a wood chipper. Sounds/plays awesome haha.

I can understand not doing that to a PS guitar though haha.

Nice Geetar btw! Dont see much green these days like that. I liked that color.

Serial

Reaction score
I think that's "Teal" or something like that. I'm not shy with guitars, but I don't abuse them either. This one came "played", but I'm not afraid to put wear on it, so I do, since someone before me broke the seal. I should change the pickups and I'd play it more, but I hate changing that stuff on some guitars. This is a ten top too. Looks much better in person (the wood grain).

I think I'll beat on it at tomorrow night's gig... Happy St. Pat's Day! :D:beer:

gibsonguitar1988

Reaction score
LOVE the Teal PRS! Just goes to show they aren't just for collectors who put them in cases or hang them for decoration. :rolleyes: :D

Shades of Blue

Reaction score
Here is my Custom 22. I gig it often at church and people just love it. I get more compliments from this guitar than I ever did my Les Pauls or Strats. The only other guitar that gets as much attention is my Midtown Custom believe it or not.

It's a better "live" guitar than my LP's ever were. It's clear, fat, and sounds great cranked. My LP's would always get lost in the mix.

CU1.jpg

zeronalo

Reaction score
absolutely the BEST you can buy. Everyone should buy them and I don't know why they don't.

If everyone was buying PRS then used Gibson and Fenders would be cheaper (yaY!)

what a dumb shit question - best is all an opinion and not everyone will agree on anything.

alohas

djphelan01

Reaction score
As a deliriously happy owner of a Santana SE, I wish you'd given 3 of them a test to hear your opinions concerning a $500 PRS, as you'd fully expect an expensive guitar to sound at least good. And mine sounds/plays grrrrreat! I can't even imagine the sound with much higher priced componant upgrades.

+1. I too am a very happy owner of 2 PRS se models and both are great. The santana is my favorite and an unbelievable guitar for the money in my opinion. I had a custom 24 10 top which was great but iI never played it because it was too pretty and stayed in its case. I dont think it was worth close to $2000 more than the Santana se.

Did you try a 513? Im gassing for one but have never tried one. My GC didnt have any to test ride.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
Y'know, trmckm, the more you post that refinned goldtop of yours, the more it grows on me. Whoever did the burst on it did a great job of balacing a lively color at the edge with a subtle gradation to the center.

trmckn

Reaction score
Y'know, trmckm, the more you post that refinned goldtop of yours, the more it grows on me. Whoever did the burst on it did a great job of balacing a lively color at the edge with a subtle gradation to the center.

Ha! Evidently if I keep beating you over the head with that thing, it'll eventually win you all over. Thanks! In general though, people either love or hate the way the 3-piece top looks. It's odd enough that it at least generates a reaction.

I can't prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt, but the story on it is that it was done at the Gibson factory in 1958. The S/N on the back of the headsdtock (with a "dash" between the 4 and the rest of he S/N) is at least consistent with how the factory did it...and there are several examples, and in any case, it's a very old refin. One way or the other, it plays and sounds great.

trmckn

Reaction score
Man I could get along with all 3 of those ladies. :naughty:

There's also a 4th. To the point of the original post, of course there is no such thing as best, only personal preference. For my tastes at least, Les Pauls are great because of how they feel, and how they sound, and how they make you feel when playing them. There are lots of other "objectively" great guitars that get great tone, play great, etc...and just don't have that certain something...again for me at least. But the PRS signature limited is the only other guitar for me that generates the same sort of excitement. Don't know why because they look and feel very different. And earlier PRS's never did it for me.

SigLimx2-1.jpg

SigLimx2-5.jpg

Latest Threads