Proper value for Very Clean 57 JR.

supaplexi

Reaction score
What is the proper value of a super clean hardly played all original 57 JR in sunburst? Even the original case hardly has any wear spots? Is 9k normal ??? I dont want to over pay but also want to respect the owners figure. Thanks to everyone in advance.

Mr French

Reaction score
Value of an original 1957 Bel air would be $100k

Any pics of your 1957 Jr?

Don't mind my morning sarcasm still waiting for the coffee to kick in.

Dilver

Reaction score
I’d be curious why it wasn’t played much. Does it play well?

Danelectro

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I’ve been seeing them advertised for $10K-$15K which is just nuts, although I doubt they’re selling at those prices. I wouldn’t doubt that $9k is a realistic price for one that is very clean as you described.

supaplexi

Reaction score
Ok Thanks for the replies so far. So , had guitar in hand today , passed on it , too clean for me. Aren't there guys out there restoring these things back to near identical condition ink stamps and all????

Last edited:

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok Thanks for the replies so far. So , had guitar in hand today , passed on it , too clean for me. Aren't there guys out there restoring these things back to near identical condition ink stamps and all????
There are guys out there doing all sorts of things ref vintage guitars. I felt same way about a too clean on one in UK recently, not that I have the money right now, but I did wonder how a nearly 70 year old guitar could be almost mint. How could a guitar stay unused for that length of time?

geddy

Reaction score

Refinished but ...£6k

geddy

Reaction score
Not far away so may call in and take a look

asapmaz

Reaction score
Why would you pass on a mint Junior for $9k? That's a steal. You should be able to tell whether it's all straight from the surrounding circumstances. A clean alligator case is a very good sign.

eric ernest

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Why would you pass on a mint Junior for $9k? A clean alligator case is a very good sign.
Any mint guitar in the UK is going to get extreme scrutiny. There is one UK guy in particular who has that finished nailed down....I've seen it. A clean alligator case is cheap....I wouldn't put much stock in that. :cheers:

supaplexi

Reaction score
Any mint guitar in the UK is going to get extreme scrutiny. There is one UK guy in particular who has that finished nailed down....I've seen it. A clean alligator case is cheap....I wouldn't put much stock in that. :cheers:
Exacty, Anyone simply asking why missed the point of this topic . Too clean = possible refin ... not that hard to understand. Thank you for your input .

supaplexi

Reaction score
Has anyone seen the hole for the pickup wire drilled way too close to the Upper cavity cover screw? This wire was so close to the surface it was literally 1/16 from the phillips screw, my understanding and all other photos , seems the pickup wire comes through roughly 1/2" down, no where near the top . I understand possible human error at the factory, also notice some dark paint on the deck surface ( that the cavity cover sits on ) , and seems the tops of the cavity walls were slightly globby with clear coat / or overspray . Not saying its a dead give away but almost every other reference photo I look at , finish in the cavity seems consistant to the top and with a dull-ist finish , no ring or anything like that, no globbing . Electronics did appear unsoldered, alot of the hardware (pot nuts and washers) had that super dry / yellowish looking appearance you would only find on a closet special i suppose . Over all finish seemed tinted too dark in spots , front sunburst orange seemed a little too much orange pigment possibly and black ring thicker than most . Im tore 50/50.

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Refinished but ...£6k
Already gone by the looks of things. Great price, probably a nice guitar...

Liam

geddy

Reaction score

Liam
Hi Liam! Long time...
I bought an RD artist there a couple years ago. They also had a 67 (i think) Hummingbird last year that sounded sublime. Couldn't justify the cost for an accoustic atm although the price was pretty good

jwinger

Reaction score
Haha you are like me...I like the mojo and would pay more for something with a bit of mojo than dead clean. Maybe it's just me, but I seem to have noticed a bit of a trend of guitars with honest playwear from being played a lot creeping closer to the value of very clean ones; i.e. the price differential between the two has closed. Maybe I'm wrong, but looks that way to me

jwinger

Reaction score

Liam
Killer price I think...yeah it's not an original finish, but its pretty much the next best thing

geddy

Reaction score
It had gone. And they got the original wiring loom refitted and working. So someone got a good deal.

crashbelt

Reaction score
Very clean near mint sunburst 56 LPJ just up for sale at ATB in the UK - £12k asking price.

I was a bit nervous paying £7,750 for a near mint 55 two years ago in the UK - looks pretty reasonable now!

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
Clean ones come up now and then, usually with a story that they got it for Christmas but never played it, etc. I look at a guitar that's that old and never played and I wonder if it's not a good one. The ones that got played to death are likely great players, but even that is subject to what the previous owner liked.

In short - YMMV

Good luck with your search. I'm currently looking for a first batch lefty Gil Yaron single cut, but that's a complete unicorn...

Latest Threads