Proper neck angle if using tune-0-matic bridge.

Celticsaint

Reaction score
I have an older les Paul style body from warmoth that I just bought used, and it has a bolt on neck pocket. I set a proper neck into the pocket and realized it has an angled neck pocket. It doesn’t look like everything will line up because the angle of the neck. The guy I bought it from said it has to have angled pocket because of tube-0-matic bridge. Is this correct? Any input is greatly appreciated.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
We always set the neck angle to whatever it has to be for a specific bridge type and body construction type. There's no "always correct" answer. You have to measure and figure out what's going to work.

Choose your bridge type, know its height range, adjust the neck angle to match.

Or do the reverse. With a given neck set, find out what the string height over the bridge location will be by using a straightedge down the fingerboard, and pick a bridge that has a compatible height range.

Tune-o-matics are among the tallest bridge types and they will require a higher neck above the body plane, or a steeper neck set angle, than other bridge types.

Hand fitting and small adjustments are just par for the course with neck setting.

In general, the neck set angle for a TOM on a carved top LP type is going to be 4 degrees give or take a half a degree or so.

LtDave32

I'm walkin' on sunshine
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I moved this thread where it will receive the most input.

What you want is this:

Place the neck in the pocket as it fits.

Measure from the face of the nut (the very top edge of the fret board) to the center of the 12th fret. Mark that distance.

I'm assuming here that the fret board is attached to the neck.

Take that distance from the center of the 12 fret and apply it to the body where the bridge will sit. Do this (apply a straight edge) on both sides of neck, down on to the body.

Make marks at that point. Draw a horizontal line on these two points. That is your bridge line where it will sit. No compensation is added yet.

Place a long straight edge along the tops of the frets, so it is extending out over the body.

At the place where the bottom of the ruler comes to the bridge center, the distance from the top of the body to the underside of the straight edge should be about 5/8".

If higher at 3/4" it will still work, but the bridge will be slightly high in adjustment.

If lower at 1/2", the bridge will still work, but it will be very low to the deck. Most find this desirable. But it's tricky if too low.

all said, the perfect distance from the top of the body to the bottom of the straight edge is 5/8". You can't go wrong with that.

If it is not that, then give us some pictures of the situation.

Mind that 'cheek" cuts in the neck where the neck rests on the outer edge of the body top, the top "side" of the body will need to be the same angle as the neck is to the body.

If you don't follow me, let me know and I'll try and explain it better.

-But post some pics.

Latest Threads