Proof Gibsons aren’t always prone to headstock breaks and tuning instability!

jk60LPTH

Reaction score
There is also the serendipitous possibility that the shipper read and paid attention to the "Fragile" stickers on the box -- assuming there were "Fragile" stickers on the box, of course.
uhhhhh, No, I find this highly unlikely. This is secret code to carrier employees to take out all their anger, frustrations, or hate they have for their employer, supervisor, working conditions, shitty pay, spouse, in-laws, bad traffic, bad weather, bad back, shipper, person they're delivering to, etc, on your package. If it's packed with a sticker that says "ATTENTION! STRONG STEEL OBJECT INSIDE! IN CASE OF EMERGENCY USE FOR SELF DEFENSE, BATTERING RAM, WHEEL CHOCK, JACK STAND, MUNITIONS SHIELD, ETC", it will undoubtedly be delivered without so much as a dent or smudge on it.

CoolRene

Reaction score
GC seem to be the worst packers in the biz. Read too many stories about them shipping guitars barely wrapped and protected.
They really don’t give a s…t

jk60LPTH

Reaction score
GC seem to be the worst packers in the biz. Read too many stories about them shipping guitars barely wrapped and protected.
They really don’t give a s…t
They're floor service isn't that great either. I went into my local store, looked at a guitar I was interested in and one of their employees who unlocked it told me he should be able to get a discount for me. Came back a couple days later with a few grand in my pocket, asked to speak to the guy, was told he wasn't working the floor. I let the guy at the counter know why I was there, he picks up the phone, talks to the guy, then tells me the guy is busy; didn't get on the phone to talk to me, didn't ask for my phone number, didn't offer an alternate time to call him or come back. One other customer in the store, who's alone in one of the private rooms playing a guitar and a few salespeople around doing nothing, answering the phone every now and then. I walked around for five or ten minutes, left and went to another music store and bought guitar there instead. I've found over the years that if a seller isn't interested in seller me a guitar, I usually end up happier and better off financially by going to a seller that is motivated to sell as long as they have a guitar that I really want.

lwchafin

Reaction score
When it comes to packing guitars I've bought, I guess I've been lucky. In fact, the only guitar I got that was packed poorly came from an individual. It was wrapped loosely in an old blanket and stuffed in an ill-fitting chipboard case and the case was stuffed in a makeshift box with almost no packing material. Fortunately, the guitar wasn't worth all that much, but even better, it survived intact.

I've bought guitars from Sweetwater, Guitar Center, Reverb and -- here's one for you -- shopgoodwill.com -- Goodwill's internet auction site. I've bought a few guitars from them. Now, goodwill always adds a handling charge to their shipping charge. Fortunately, you get what you pay for with them, cuz, if anything, they overpack their stuff. The guitars I bought from them -- in fact, everything I've bought from them -- were packed very securely with literally yards and yards of bubble pack. I keep that stuff. I have enough packing material from goodwill alone to last me for years with anything I'll be selling on eBay.
LOL. I'm in the same boat - whenever my kid (25 y.o. in NYC, guitars he's sold are at home in WV) sells a guitar it falls on me to pack it. Had to buy a few guitar boxes (in bulk - Amazon for $5/box) but otherwise I haven't had to buy packing for years.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
A buddy worked for Space Age Trucking when we were in college.
He said that "Fragile" just means "really really try to catch it"

JoshuaOnMaui

Reaction score
I used to build and repair. Trust me, we got tons of Gibsons with snapped headstocks, especially SG... THAT is a primary reason they switched to laminated maple necks... with a heel at the headstock end. It takes a jack hammer to snap a maple headstock, compared to mahogany.

At some point, GC may have just figured the shipments were insured if they suffered damage by the carrier. I just bought a knock-off that arrived double-boxed wrapped inside with thin sheet foam. I was like WTF??? But.... the was zero damage to the box. Luck of the draw, I guess. BUT, had it arrived damaged, it would have been replaced... if it wasn't now OUT OF STOCK?

JoshuaOnMaui

Reaction score
Back in the 80s, I bought my first hard drive.

$600 for a 64meg Miniscribe, with external housing and power supply.

When it arrived, it was no good... the drive had crashed.
I returned it, and when they shipped the replacement, they said "This is packed so well a UPS truck could back over it"

A week later I got the replacement.
The box had a tire mark on it.
that IS funny

Latest Threads