Project - Ultimate practice routine

hum-dinger

Reaction score
Every time I pick up the guitar I run through scales then start jamming with the mix of songs/riffs that I know. Whilst this is great fun I dont feel that I am acheiving much and want to put together a structured practice routine to use every time I pick up the axe.

I am currently searching the web to find different exercises for the following techniques. The plan is to make 4 - 5 different worksheets to alternate between each time I play.

Tuning by ear

Scales
- Minor Pentatonic
- Major
- Move on to new scale when confident

Picking/Strumming
- Alternate
-String Skipping
-Arpeggio
-Rythm exercises
-Palm muting
-(Finger picking)

Left Hand
-Hammer-ons
-Pull offs
-Bending
-Vibrato
-Sliding
-(Harmonics)

Please help me by posting any links or exercises that you think may be useful for the above, I am trying to find a variety of different tabs to avoid repetition.
Also please tell me if you think I am missing some important techniques from the above.
The task will probably take a few days to complete but im happy to post the finished worksheets on here for the benifit of other users.

hum-dinger

Reaction score
Thanks C - so you are a regular lesson poster on these boards?

C Squared

Reaction score
Thanks C - so you are a regular lesson poster on these boards?
I was doing a monthly thing on my website, but it got hacked and I've been slow to get it back up. But I try to post things monthly that I see getting asked often. Had one planned for doing the modes, but a few others beat me to it lol

There are a lot of good teachers here that offer up some good stuff, and many others that will post links to what they found that helps

This is a very good place:dude::thumb:

hum-dinger

Reaction score
Yep got that impression - few twats scattered about but the majority of posters seem cool.

Will look out for your posts

claricSTi

Reaction score
Your list looks pretty good. I would also split everything into timed sessions, say 30 minutes a piece or so if you have time.

This is what I was doing from summer til about a month ago. Lifes been a little hectic lately so I've been slacking on the practice and just playing with the band and jamming a little here and there

I'd split my practices into four 30-minute sessions and interchange them so I didn't get bored. I practiced theory, new scales/chords/songs, repertoire, improv (normally with backing tracks and always recorded), composition, technique, and ear training. I write down everything I have learned and everything I want to learn the next day. That way I can see if I am improving or not. When doing this I saw a vast improvement in my playing. I plan to start this again soon. Actually, nevermind, I think I'll start again today:)