Project Gibiphone

smac4th

Reaction score
He guys. As many of you may know In my recent threads I have mentioned I'm upgrading alot of the stuff in my epi trad pro. As you can see in the title it says Gibiphone, the reason for this is I'm making my epiphone to sound as close to a Gibson or maby even better. Before I talk about what I did to the guitar and about the guitar I'm not trying to make a debate about an Epiphone being better then a Gibson. So if you are trying to say anything about how I'm wasting my money don't say it. This guitar was a gift thts why I'm doing these upgrades. If I bought the guitar my self I may not of done the upgrades. Also this is a sort of story about my "journy" with the guitar.
Now ltes get started. I had my epi trad pro for 3 months and decided I was ready to put money into the guitar and make it the best it can be. The first upgrade it had was a Seymour Duncan Slash signature neck pickup. Of all the pickups I tried this was pickup was perfect for me. After 8 more months of owning the guitar I thought it was time to really upgrade the guitar. I rewired the guitar and upgraded all electronics with CTS, switchcraft, and 22uf orange drop caps, and a Seymour duncan slash signature bridge pickup.

Now that you guys know a little bit about what I did to the guitar here is a list of everything I did to the guitar.
-Seymour Duncan Slash signature pickups -both neck and bridge
-50's wiring
-22uf orange drop capacitors
-CTS 500k audio taper pots
-Switchcraft pickup selector switch and input jack
-Faber steel bushings
- All wiring was replaced with the type of wire with the braided outter shield and the black and white cloth covering the hot wire.

I plan to change the bridge, tailpiece, and nut over the summer.
Here is a pic of the guitar on how it currently looks.
http://s1375.photobucket.com/user/smac4th/media/Mobile%20Uploads/14262744180542043100117_zpsuy3zaad6.jpg.html?o=0

Tried to upload the pic but wouldn't work so here is a link to it.
Since my sister is home I'm unable to upload audio clips. I will try to upload some anywhere from today to monday. First chance I have I will record and upload them.

rcole_sooner

Beach Bum
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Under Share links to the right of your pic on that page .... click the text in the Direct box to copy it .. then paste it into your post using the Insert Image tool.

Like this.

14262744180542043100117_zpsuy3zaad6.jpg

I would not have listened to what I am about to say, so have fun modding....

...I'd just play that guitar just like it is and not worry about changing anything.

Oh, Yeah! .... and post a lot of pics!

smac4th

Reaction score
I actually tried to take more but my photobucket account wont let me upload more at the moment. I'll try to post more tomorrow. I'm happy to have atleast gotten one pic up

gsmacleod

Reaction score
Well, all the upgrades in the world aren't going to help while those amber knobs are sucking up all the tonez!

Shane

Clifdawg

Reaction score
Looking great! Planning on making the exact same upgrades to my Epi PTP, except with a Seymour Duncan SH-4/SH-1 combo instead of the Slash pups. That will be down the road though - guitar sounds and plays pretty good as it is now. :thumb:

smac4th

Reaction score
Ok guys I just did some more playing with the Lp after the pup swap. I must say the guitar now has the bite and output I have been looking for. It sounds so good it will make you cream your pants.:laugh2:

paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
So if you are trying to say anything about how I'm wasting my money don't say it.

I don't say anything....................other than T+

rem22

Reaction score
I'd'say Peter is right^^
Sorry. But I'm still convinced that if you like your guitar with some money you can make it great ! Have fun

tonka.boy333

Reaction score
Pretty guitar! Love the look with no pickguard. I'd be willing to bet that it sounds a lot like my Studio with no upgrades. :naughty:

But those knobs are hurtin your style.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
I understand the OP's logic. I took my '09 Epi GT 56 GT P90 and made it sound and play better than the REAL Gibby '56 GT P90 I played some time ago.

smac4th

Reaction score
Pretty guitar! Love the look with no pickguard. I'd be willing to bet that it sounds a lot like my Studio with no upgrades. :naughty:

But those knobs are hurtin your style.

I kinda like the knobs but I plan on changing them to the gold knobs with the gold metal top that has volume printed on the volume knobs and tone printed on the tone knobs.

XTN

Reaction score
Killer. I just finished upgrading my Black Beauty with a set of Slash pickups (SD '59 in the middle), a LP III wiring kit from Jonsey Blues and cream plastics to match Peter Frampton's 70's guitar. Super tits.

xtn_framash.jpg

eeprete

Reaction score
Upgrades are always good. I feel there is nothing wrong with upgrading an Epi. I just did the same over the last week or so, and the guitar sounds like a whole new guitar. PS: I am on LI too in Suffolk.

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
I kinda like the knobs but I plan on changing them to the gold knobs with the gold metal top that has volume printed on the volume knobs and tone printed on the tone knobs.

That'll look great!

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Count me as another fan of Slash SD's. I was happy with my Elitist, but after seeing a lot of positive comments about the APH-2's, I thought they might be worth trying. Happened upon a bridge pup at a really good price, so I grabbed it. That was the sound I was looking for! So when an APH-1 neck pup came along, I figured, why not? That combination works perfectly for me. Evidently I'm drawn to the sound of A2 pickups, because the Burstbuckers in my JB give me goosebumps.

paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
So if you are trying to say anything about how I'm wasting my money don't say it.

I don't say anything....................other than T+

Which tribute plus model comes with Faber hardware and SD Slash pups like the OP's guitar? I'm very interested.

please don't take my comment out of connection....

It is funny to start a thread and ask to only get the answers he likes...
that's not exactly how a discussion works....(in most parts of the world)
:lol:

paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
Which tribute plus model comes with Faber hardware and SD Slash pups like the OP's guitar? I'm very interested.

Yeah, I know you don't like the T+ much, that's ok....

though in the end the T+ would have been better and cheaper

Hard to beat? maybe. Perfect for everyone's tastes? Nope. Not in my view. It's also pretty expensive as Epiphone LP's go and is a chunk to pay IF you intent is to gut it and start over... just saying...

it still is way cheaper (than most other Epi LPs with Epi pickups) if you sell the Gibson pickups and get in what you want....

how to upgrade the long neck tenon and the real maple cap...:naughty:

Latest Threads