Project "58" - 1958 LP Jr double-cut goodness

MikeP

Reaction score
Doug Myer at Mountain Cat Guitars and I have been chatting about our love for double cut Les Paul juniors for quite a while. Doug has been in the vintage guitar business for a long time and knows his juniors like no one I've ever met! Not only does he feel 1958 was THE year for DC Jrs, but only certain ones had "the neck". Doug knows I make a Jr shaped model (with different hardware) and I love TV yellow. So one day he asked me if I was interested in trying to re-create the magic of his favourite 58 Jr. I said I'd like to, but it would be next to impossible for him to describe "the neck" to me in such a way that I could build one. Before you know it he had the UPS man delivering said cherished Jr to my shop :wow:

Anyway, for your drooling pleasure here are a few pics from the beginning of what I've been calling "Project: 58".

dougk

Reaction score
NICE!!!

Really looking forward to seeing this project coming along Mike!

I'm assuming you're doing a Lollar dogear?

nuance97

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Outstanding!!! This will be a really cool project to watch unfold.:applause:

dougk

Reaction score
Mike I meant to ask you, are you digitizing the neck profile and cutting it on the CNC?

MikeP

Reaction score
Now that's some fade
Yup, it's always fun to poke around under the hood on something this old

Doug, definitely a Lollar dogear on these! As for digitizing/CNC: sort of and yes :). I don't have a digitizer so I just did the caveman / old-school version of that: profile gauge > scanner > RhinoCAD. I'll be cutting the neck profiles on the CNC for sure though. Doug M insists that that's the magic that makes or breaks these for vintage guys who know their Jrs, so I need it to be exact every time. For those who asked, unfortunately I can't share too much detail since these will be exclusively available from Mountain Cat Guitars, but I can say this: if you look hard enough, there's a *59* DC Jr drawing floating around the Interwebs that's fairly accurate as far as dimensions go. It doesn't help much with neck profile, but there is a lot of useful info on it.

A test neck is on it's way to Mountain Cat Guitars as we speak, so in the meantime I'll be cutting some bodies and building a few jigs; wouldn't you know it, this puppy is just different enough from my other models that I need to duplicate some existing jigs with a few dimensional changes.

Mike

dougk

Reaction score
NICE! That's what I was hoping.

One of these days I need to learn Rhino (hint hint) though my Comodore64 of CNC's doesn't really have the processing power to handle something so complex. I actually like hand carving my necks, the Spanish Cedar dust cloud it sets off is always enjoyable.

Franzke

Reaction score
Hy MikeP I just finished a Jr DC according to the *59* DC Jr plans . And I find the neck very
beefy, especialy from the 12th fret and up. I am still thinking to change that some what.

Franzke

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm really looking forward to this thread! I've got plans to do a DC Jr. Jr. (you read that correctly) myself, and I've got a '59 DC Jr. I'm planning on doing a refin on in TV, so I'll be interested to see how you do the finishing on this.

Frank

dougk

Reaction score
DC Baby?!

Frank I can't wait to see that. You know how much I LOVE you're guitars!

I think for my 30th birthday I need a 3/4 Less Tall Daylighter ;)

MikeP

Reaction score
Hy MikeP I just finished a Jr DC according to the *59* DC Jr plans . And I find the neck very
beefy, especialy from the 12th fret and up. I am still thinking to change that some what.
I guess it depends what you're used to. The 58 that Doug sent me to duplicate is really nice; it feels big but not huge.

I'm really looking forward to this thread! I've got plans to do a DC Jr. Jr. (you read that correctly) myself, and I've got a '59 DC Jr. I'm planning on doing a refin on in TV, so I'll be interested to see how you do the finishing on this.
Frank, I'd LOVE to see you do a DC Jr Jr! Initially Doug has requested traditional trans red and TV Yellow (the darker banana pudding version). After that... who knows!

I've been really busy so I haven't been updating this thread. Here's a few pictures to catch up on this batch:

Notice the pile 'o' bodies in the background

Spanish cedar neck and body, should be a feather weight!

The obligatory "no glue" neck test :)

TKOjams

Reaction score

Frank
{whispering} Psssst."how about a baby double neck?":naughty:

MikeP

Reaction score
Fretting last. I like it.
That's the process I've always followed Damian and it works extremely well for me. I've had people suggest that fretting last introduces back-bow but it's never been an issue for me.

Mike

dougk

Reaction score
That's the process I've always followed Damian and it works extremely well for me. I've had people suggest that fretting last introduces back-bow but it's never been an issue for me.

Mike
Personally I feel the opposite.

I always get the FB onto the neck before fretting. It gets leveled and 100% trued at that point which for me, give a very, very stable neck.

MikeP

Reaction score
Lots of updates:

Logos

Headstock layout

Drilling

Glue

Quick intonation check before paint

Now it's time for lots (and lots) of sanding and prep before paint. If anyone is local and wants to work on improving their sanding technique, let me know :naughty:

dougk

Reaction score
Your template for the drill press is just straight up ingenious. (you should post both pictures those so it makes sense what I'm talking about)

Latest Threads