Problem with the sound

fatigati

Reaction score
Hey all!

I got my guitar a year ago. Haven't been playing much but it was fine. During summer I went off for two months or so, came back, tried to plug it in, but the socket got unscrewed and jack output fell into the guitar body (I guess the washer was slowly falling off over the year, I just didn't notice it).

So I had to take off the square plastic guard, pull the jack plug out of the guitar and reassemble it again just the way it was before. However, after plugging it in my amp (Boss Katana 50w MK2) I noticed the sound was off. Especially the low E and A strings. Instead of having this clean sound (on clean mode) it was dimmed and crackling, almost as if some sort of distortion effect was on. When I plug in the jack only halfway the sound is nice and clean, as it should have been on the clean or acoustic mode of this amp.

Not sure what to think of it. help needed.

Last edited:

DrBGood

Reaction score
Go back in there, get the jack out and insert your cable in it to see how good it makes a connexion. If it seem loose, take the cable out and bend inward the prong that hits the end of the cable jack.

Also check that the wires are well soldered and don't touch each others.

When you screw the jack back in, hold it from the inside so it doesn't rotate as you tighten the nut. If not, wires can get twisted together and create a short.

Other thing to check: are your volume and/or tone controls crackling when you adjust them ? If so they need to be cleaned. Get a can of cleaner spray like Deoxit or the one from WD40. Frome the back, in the control cavity, shoot spray inside the potentiometers through the small slots right over the connexion tabs. Rotate a few times as you spray and it should resolve that problem.

WD40.jpg

fatigati

Reaction score
Thanks for posting.

Knobs are fine, there is no crackling sound when turned. Also, the cable sits in tight. Not loose at all. Wobbling the cable does not create any unwanted noises within the amp as well. Everything seems to be in order, yet the lower the string the more cracking sound I get. Again, when the jack is plugged in halfway the sound is perfectly clean. Also no cables touch each other since I pulled the jack socket out of the guitar body so everything is visible.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Check the solder joints on the jack. The wires can twist when you retighten it and one might be pulling really hard or not connected as well now.

DrBGood

Reaction score
Do you have another guitar to see if it's not from the amp ? Another cable ?

fatigati

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I don't have any other electric guitar. What I did is I plugged the guitar into the mixer that I use with my PC for mic and headphones, turned the direct monitor on and the sound was the same, distorted, dimmed. So it's not the amp. Not sure about the cable though, but again, I plugged the cable to the PC as input and amp as output. Clear sound, no distortions whatsoever. Unless the frequency from a guitar differs so much from a music clip I played on YT to test this.

Does this guitar have any batteries that might be dying or something?

fatigati

Reaction score
Well, I'll be damned, it was the battery. Something that you wouldn't even think about cause it's so obvious. Thanks for participating fellas! Rock on!

DrBGood

Reaction score
:rofl:

That's what happens trying to give a diagnostic without having the whole picture and/or seeing the actual guitar.

Jonathan_alvarez

Reaction score
Well, I'll be damned, it was the battery. Something that you wouldn't even think about cause it's so obvious. Thanks for participating fellas! Rock on!
the battery .. who would have thought .. at least not me, my LP does not need batteries hahaha
Good that you find the problem and it was an easy fix.

Latest Threads